Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
scott

Squad v Gloucestershire

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, westizbest said:

 

Good win .. jeez coming away from the game today people don't half moan a lot ! If some supporters put as much effort into supporting them rather than twining the pop side would be bouncing 

 

I'm with you Westizbest.

btw - Is there a rule that says that the referee must stand 10 metres from the play the ball? 

I've been to a few games where the pitch markings would indicate that the defense is 10 metres back. Literally the play the ball is line mark on the pitch and the defense is standing on the next line mark. However the players are standing in front of the ref.

Whichever home crowd go nuts with the Getemonside! They're in front of you you "(%*£&"!  but clearly the ref doesn't give a penalty. 

75 minutes of Offside! and only 2 minutes cheering for your team at a Rugby match is beginning to do my head in. 

Edited by Worky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Worky said:

Thought it's a la'al bit harsh to say that the All Golds folded. My impression was that they were keeping pace with us - hence 12 all at half time. When we managed to get 8 points clear they seemed to start chasing the game; forcing the pass and all that which produced errors that Town capitalised on. In the last 5 their heads might of dropped or they just ran out of gas. 

On the ref. Whilst he wasn't brilliant and there were one or two - eh? - moments I don't think he was as bad as some have made out. When I was at Haven v Toronto the Haven fans were going mad at the referee but as a neutral at the game, most of the times I wondered what they were twining about. 

Ok it's maybe a bit harsh to say they folded as such (if you want to be really picky), but in the last 20 once we managed to keep the pressure on for a sustained period they looked very vunerable every time we attacked. Where as for the first hour we couldn't build the pressure to see if they would handle it or not. They kept in touch through our own mistakes both with and without the ball.

As for the ref, they all make mistakes as they are human and I can live with that. But the thing that winds me up is when they aren't consistent with their policing of the rules, these aren't mistakes but is a conscious decision to decide when to apply them. Our man in the middle today couldn't decide when a knock on was a knock on or not, and also didn't police the 10 metres for 95% of the game then out of the blue pings somebody for it.

On a different note, why are they called All golds? They don't play in gold, so is their owner called Terry or summat??

 


The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gloucester hosted the deciding Test match between the Northern Union and New Zealand in 1907/8, the tour which brought about RL in the Southern Hemisphere. NZ were nicknamed the All Golds, as opposed to the All Blacks, because they would be receiving money, unlike the rugby union amateurs. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just on the fans , let's not forget these are the ever decreasing hardcore of diehards who actually pay their hard earned and turn up , and care enough to be bothered 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Richard de la Riviere said:

Gloucester hosted the deciding Test match between the Northern Union and New Zealand in 1907/8, the tour which brought about RL in the Southern Hemisphere. NZ were nicknamed the All Golds, as opposed to the All Blacks, because they would be receiving money, unlike the rugby union amateurs. 

Thanks for the info Richard. Very interesting,  also explains the NZ style kit and fern badge. Although I was rather hoping Terry owned them.... 

  • Like 1

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The constant baiting/ abuse of referees is getting embarrassing and needs to be sorted,we know some of the refs are bad but without them no game,the all golds bench were entertained all afternoon by the constant barracking of the ref .This is ok for them as a one off but for us to have to listen to this week in week out its wearing a bit thin!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Voodooguru said:

Ok it's maybe a bit harsh to say they folded as such (if you want to be really picky), but in the last 20 once we managed to keep the pressure on for a sustained period they looked very vunerable every time we attacked. Where as for the first hour we couldn't build the pressure to see if they would handle it or not. They kept in touch through our own mistakes both with and without the ball.

As for the ref, they all make mistakes as they are human and I can live with that. But the thing that winds me up is when they aren't consistent with their policing of the rules, these aren't mistakes but is a conscious decision to decide when to apply them. Our man in the middle today couldn't decide when a knock on was a knock on or not, and also didn't police the 10 metres for 95% of the game then out of the blue pings somebody for it.

On a different note, why are they called All golds? They don't play in gold, so is their owner called Terry or summat??

 

I think our sustained pressure also coincided with the reintroduction of Callum Phillips which really sped up our middle plays, They really struggled to cope with this and resultant gaps appeared out wide which we were good enough to capitalize on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought Carl Forber was easily m.o.t.m. . He was involved with Howarth in nearly every try and without his touchline conversions we could have been chasing the game .Callum and Stevie Scholey were massive in defence and attack and we lost a little bit when they both went off together .It is very noticeable that when our halves have the ball in hand , we more often than not have willing runners prepared to run hard and straight , what a difference that has made compared to last years dire fodder , it makes their job so much easier .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
1 hour ago, bigapple said:

The constant baiting/ abuse of referees is getting embarrassing and needs to be sorted,we know some of the refs are bad but without them no game,the all golds bench were entertained all afternoon by the constant barracking of the ref .This is ok for them as a one off but for us to have to listen to this week in week out its wearing a bit thin!

I agree. DavidM has a point when he says they pays their money but you can't really condone such incessant abuse. Maybe there is way of converting that abuse into "Oh Worky Worky" and "Town Town" etc. Maybe some of our younger supporters (Good on them!) could run a course for them ?

Edited by Guest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most pleasing for me this season is that the coaching staff have got us trying to play good rugby. Ok so it didn't always come off, but as it gets embedded through the season they are just going to get slicker at the moves and the errors will reduce especially with the ground drying up. 

How many times last season did you see us set up a play like they do now? It was just a case of give it to sammut and hope he works his magic. 

Wonder what the odds are on Joe being top try scorer?

  • Like 1

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigapple said:

The constant baiting/ abuse of referees is getting embarrassing and needs to be sorted,we know some of the refs are bad but without them no game,the all golds bench were entertained all afternoon by the constant barracking of the ref .This is ok for them as a one off but for us to have to listen to this week in week out its wearing a bit thin!

Someone should put a gag on that lass from Arlecdon, jeez her voice grates on me with her constant screaming.


I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supporters are the same at all grounds.  Away side does something wrong and the fans are up in arms. The home side does something wrong and you can hear  a pin drop. For me thats about  being passionate and wanting your team to win. Also paying £15 to watch semi pro sport you expect a decent level of refereeing. If the shouts at the ref do you head in buy some ear plugs coz it won't  change at any ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oneday said:

I agree. DavidM has a point when he says they pays their money but you can't really condone such incessant abuse. Maybe there is way of converting that abuse into "Oh Worky Worky" and "Town Town" etc. Maybe some of our younger supporters (Good on them!) could run a course for them ?

Not sure what I hear (on popular side anyway) is incessant abuse,  more like constructive Criticism I would have said.

Of course home fans are going to be biased, but some decisions at this level do really make you question the ability of officials, especially the  apparent lack of consistency, application or interpretation of certain rules. 

Edited by Onreport

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To much inconsistency , to many mistakes , to little help from touchies , and far to much whistle. Penalties now are thrown around like confetti , often for nothing or a technicality that has no bearing on the play . Especially in the ruck and play the ball there's penalties that are bemusing, but not consistently blown . Yet other things still in the rule book are totally ignored. It's a total change of mindset from refs nowadays , as if they're told to be over involved and concentrate on certain things that they look for and often see when they're not there . Pens are so important I wish they'd put a higher tolerance on them . Twenty  is a norm now in a straightforward game  

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it was the first 5 minutes someone shouted "it's no wonder you were demoted ref" now if someone shouted that at me id be thinking you ain't seen nothing yet smart arris!


go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, anok4u said:

I think it was the first 5 minutes someone shouted "it's no wonder you were demoted ref" now if someone shouted that at me id be thinking you ain't seen nothing yet smart arris!

Oh yeh they must hear it alright . Some are very witty though , one of my faves from way back was at ref Charlie Tidball who was bald as a coot ... ' get your hair out of yer eyes tidball ' . Or old Mick Morgan's commentary when the ref and two touchies were deliberating lengthily in the middle and he said ' all we need now are some shepherds and a baby and we've got a nativity play '

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Touchies come in for some stick-- often with justification. They were often subjected to the remark " Hope you haven't paid to get in mate ,cos you've seen nowt ".  There's still suggestions as to an alternative place for their flags ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Seaton Sandy said:

Touchies come in for some stick-- often with justification. They were often subjected to the remark " Hope you haven't paid to get in mate ,cos you've seen nowt ".  There's still suggestions as to an alternative place for their flags ?

Sideways

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Oh yeh they must hear it alright . Some are very witty though , one of my faves from way back was at ref Charlie Tidball who was bald as a coot ... ' get your hair out of yer eyes tidball ' . Or old Mick Morgan's commentary when the ref and two touchies were deliberating lengthily in the middle and he said ' all we need now are some shepherds and a baby and we've got a nativity play '

On a DVD against barrow the commentator repeat what someone in the crowd said and got in bother,when barrow got the first penalty in the 2nd half he said "your better than the #$%@÷@÷ in the first half"....class ha 


go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Derwent said:

Someone should put a gag on that lass from Arlecdon, jeez her voice grates on me with her constant screaming.

Good luck with that :-)

  • Like 1

Rugby League must be a great game to survive the fools at the RFL who run it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Derwent said:

Someone should put a gag on that lass from Arlecdon, jeez her voice grates on me with her constant screaming.

You seem to be well up to date on her geography Derwent. 

I have to confess - at my time of life I wouldn't have a major problem with a lass who displayed constant screaming issues .?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Seaton Sandy said:

You seem to be well up to date on her geography Derwent. 

I have to confess - at my time of life I wouldn't have a major problem with a lass who displayed constant screaming issues .?

Haha I've known Helen for years but her voice is like a foghorn !


I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On sunday Town knocked on at the play the ball , but we were given a pen for offside , we scored off the next set . Later we were moving the ball out left when the ref blew for a forward pass that no one either on the field or off it saw .do these things even themselves out , i don t know .But what i do think happens is invariably a disputed pen is followed by a try on the next set of six .I would prefer if refs let a little bit go , kept the game moving and gave less pens , the more fluent the game is , the more the better team wins . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/03/2017 at 11:15 AM, Derwent said:

Someone should put a gag on that lass from Arlecdon, jeez her voice grates on me with her constant screaming.

Sitting calling out your own teams fans, at least she gets behind the lads and voices her opinion and has a laugh, she's one of the loveliest people down at town, but you'll sit behind your "Derwent" name  so know one knows who you are ,so keep your opinions to yourself about other fans 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Casson said:

Sitting calling out your own teams fans, at least she gets behind the lads and voices her opinion and has a laugh, she's one of the loveliest people down at town, but you'll sit behind your "Derwent" name  so know one knows who you are ,so keep your opinions to yourself about other fans 

Ye Helen is Town through and through and is part of the fabric of the club, she is a absolute diamond and I only wish we had a few more like her, I love hearing her shouting and supporting the lads and I stand in the scratching shed !! I wish a few more would get behind the lads and support them like she does.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...