Ten points, 4 league wins, half the dream team and the man of steel - time to say stop !

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Can you see it yet?

Unless you pay to upgrade your photo bucket account,no one will see the picture.

Photo bucket no longer support third party hosting without you paying for the privilege. 

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

3 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

Unless you pay to upgrade your photo bucket account,no one will see the picture.

Photo bucket no longer support third party hosting without you paying for the privilege. 

Cheers TWIG.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

13 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Can you see it yet?

Oh yes!!!

Can I guess???

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 minute ago, Ullman said:

:lol:

Sod off

Ar se...:angry:

11 hours ago, Ullman said:

Probably time to post the reason for that conversation.

Free go on the hook-a-duck at Hull Fair between 6pm and 8pm this Saturday for anybody who can tell me which year these programme notes are from. 

SAM_1863.thumb.JPG.6e2db20d709190365c751ef7110ce762.JPG

Come on folks, you know you want to have a guess...

14 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Sts were league leaders in 1965. Halifax finished 9 points behind them in 7th, but we're crowned champions after beating them in the final. 

Leeds were league leaders in 1967, 68 & 69, but we're only champions in 1969. Ironically beating cas in the final, who finished 10 points behind them. If cas had won that final would they have been happy to be called champions?

4 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

1968?

Close but no banana.

1 hour ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Sts were league leaders in 1965. Halifax finished 9 points behind them in 7th, but we're crowned champions after beating them in the final. 

Leeds were league leaders in 1967, 68 & 69, but we're only champions in 1969. Ironically beating cas in the final, who finished 10 points behind them. If cas had won that final would they have been happy to be called champions?

:biggrin:

7 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

You've got so close to working it out I'd have to say 1968 is close enough. It was 1967 and the programme is from a Castleford v Hull 1st round championship play off game.

The thing that struck me was that it only took a couple of lines in the programme to explain how the championship would be decided and that the league leaders weren't the champions.  Fifty years later we're still arguing about it (or some people are). Some things never change.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

Was it 1969?

Were you on the Moon when Ullman posted the answer?

On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:54 PM, AiredaleMike said:

The evidence is stark, bordering on outrageous, and some people talk about a game this coming Saturday !

We want to promote this great game of ours, and we potentially throw away the achievements of the greatest team in many a year, all based on the result of this game on Saturday.

Cas are well and truly the best team by far this season, and as League Champions, they have now beaten the runners-up 4 times this season - yes 4 times !

As a Rhinos fan, I hold my head in shame at what the structure of the game has become. On Saturday, I yet again, will be washing my hair, or at least participating in something more meaningful.

What a load of rubbish. Is it more difficult to be the most consistent team over a season, being better than most opposition when you meet them and they happen to be playing well/not so well, primed or not, or is it more difficult to beat a team on the biggest day of the year in front of a sell out crowd against a team giving everything they have?

The latter, so that's why if you can do that, you are deservedly called the champions.

On 04/10/2017 at 12:54 PM, AiredaleMike said:

The evidence is stark, bordering on outrageous, and some people talk about a game this coming Saturday !

We want to promote this great game of ours, and we potentially throw away the achievements of the greatest team in many a year, all based on the result of this game on Saturday.

Cas are well and truly the best team by far this season, and as League Champions, they have now beaten the runners-up 4 times this season - yes 4 times !

As a Rhinos fan, I hold my head in shame at what the structure of the game has become. On Saturday, I yet again, will be washing my hair, or at least participating in something more meaningful.

Seeing as though you make the same point every year i will provide the same reply.

Since its formation in 1895, the sport of Rugby League has used a play off and 'final' system for the majority of its history. More so that the first past the post league structure.

You have every right to bemoan what the structure of the season 'is' but you cannot bemoan what it has 'become' unless you ignore (or are ignorant of) the history of our great sport.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Does that mean that any team in history aren't really champions before the GF was invented?

Archived