London should try a groundshare with Wimbledon

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Ivarr the Boneless said:

I believe that name is trademarked and Wimbledon have permission to use it.

I suspect there may be issues with a nomadic rugby league team trying to use it.

Thanks for that. I hadn't thought of copyright. It was a bit tongue in cheek anyway. 

I have watched the London since the Fulham days and could never fathom the inability for any continuity. Perhaps part of the problem has been the London name, viewing itself as a team for the whole city, when sports teams in London are usually associated with areas within it. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

1 hour ago, jpmc said:

Have london attendances rises since the first season at trailfinders?

I did an article in my blog about Championship attendances:

https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/2017/09/uk-championship-attendances-2015-17-by.html

What it shows is small increases for London in 2016 and 2017. 

7 minutes ago, RayCee said:

https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/2017/09/uk-championship-attendances-2015-17-by.html

Probably from staying in the same place, regardless of where.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

15 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

How did Sheffield lose half their fans so quickly? 

Probably losing so many games. there might be discrepancies regarding if all season tickets/freebies are included as well. I know London were announcing crowds with them all included whether in attendance or not which was blatantly obvious in the game against Halifax down there when the attendance was given out much inflated then the just short of 300 that were actually there.

15 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

How did Sheffield lose half their fans so quickly? 

I believe they have had to recently move from ground to ground, which probably hasn't helped. 

4 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Probably losing so many games. there might be discrepancies regarding if all season tickets/freebies are included as well. I know London were announcing crowds with them all included whether in attendance or not which was blatantly obvious in the game against Halifax down there when the attendance was given out much inflated then the just short of 300 that were actually there.

So all you have on us to whine about is crowds then? Can't moan about developing players, since one of yours came through our system. 

On 12/11/2017 at 1:34 PM, Luxembourger said:

What about Crystal Palace athletics stadium? It's virtually derelict these days. As far as I know the running track is hardly used (and UK athletics won't stage any big meetings there now as they use the Olympic stadium instead). I reckon if an organisation were to come along offering to put on some money to redevelop the stadium the council would be interested, even if it meant the track was taken up. Could the RFL lead on this? Maybe for the Broncos and create/promote another London team to league 1 to use it as well?? Could also base the RLIF office there instead of its curent London basement?

Did you actually go there when 'Crusaders' played there after they left Chiswick ? Would any RL club be welcomed back if some of the stories about debts are true ?

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

44 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Thanks for that. 

Hopefully London get another average increase again this season also pleasantly surprised at Oldham, Rochdale & Swinton averages 

10 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I am from St Helens, so I do not have anything against anyone.

It is just brutal practicality.  People not commited to a sport, but with spare money are a better customer base than people with no spare money and already commited to a sport.

I lack your heart and sense of romance.

I am not suggesting we dessert are fanbase in places like St Helens or Leigh, but we have to be brutally pragmatic anywhere else.  

From my long experience of living down here, it is working class people from London and the home counties who are by far the most likely to prefer RL over RU

1 minute ago, Lobbygobbler said:

From my long experience of living down here, it is working class people from London and the home counties who are by far the most likely to prefer RL over RU

I agree. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

5 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Assuming that's the case (and I've no reason to doubt you) then it does seem a bit odd that London would be based in Ealing...

1 minute ago, paulwalker71 said:

Assuming that's the case (and I've no reason to doubt you) then it does seem a bit odd that London would be based in Ealing...

It depends if you stop thinking about why that might be with "because they are working class".

The sports market in the UK is very highly developed.  There are not many niches.  Conventional, middle class people who like contact sport already have rugby union.  More working class people are less likely to have been herded into rugby union so might be into rugby league.

That does not mean, IMO, that the market is always going to be working class.  The barbour jacket brigade are a deadloss, the artisan gin brigade are more open.

8 hours ago, BJW said:

Did you actually go there when 'Crusaders' played there after they left Chiswick ? Would any RL club be welcomed back if some of the stories about debts are true ?

I believe the last time they played at Crystal Palace was 1993, circumstances and people involved were very different. Anyway, all the more reason for the RFL to lead - effectively on the angle of developing a CoE for RL in the south, making use of the national sports centre facilities, etc. Bromley council (like most London councils) will be wary of being seen to give land/facilities to private enterprise, if a governing body was involved it puts a different spin on things. RFL effectively did a similar thing with the Huddersfield stadium didn't they? (appreciate that was c.25 years ago)

It was not a stadium suited for RL. Stands too far away from the pitch and given capacity of ground and crowds attending, more atmosphere on Pluto. Even if facility was given for free, would need large sum spending on it to make if fit for purpose. Not insurmountable problems but can think of far better uses for cash.

Fulham/Crusaders moved there on the back of rising crowds at Chiswick (average attendance had risen to over 1100) but dwindled to 250 (offical figure, realistically . . . ) at times at CP.  Maybe, just maybe if it was owned by RFL/London and confirmed as a long term base then people would go there but would take a lot to tempt me back there.

Might be new personnel involved but given previous history there with the office, hope council do not have long memories.

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

Archived