Ticket sales looking very ropey for QFs

Scubby

32 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Fair enough. I'm as concerned about poor ticket sales as the next person, but this game was a sellout. And it was a great occasion up there - the Kangaroos brand is almost non existent here, but tonight was a great celebration of the Australian rugby league team. One of the few times I've actually heard 'aussie!' chants at home tests. So my point, poorly made perhaps, was this was actually a positive night for the game. Apologies for the sarcasm, but sometimes the negativity feels a bit relentless.

But the OP wasn't critical of ticket sales for this game. It actually excludes them from the discussion, highlighting the expected 10-12k at the other 3 as an issue.

Damien positioned a view that maybe 14k is hardly a massive success, and I agree with that, but it was staged there, it was full and hopefully those attending had a great time.

But it is a fair view that our ambitions should be higher than this.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Damien positioned a view that maybe 14k is hardly a massive success, and I agree with that, but it was staged there, it was full and hopefully those attending had a great time.

But it is a fair view that our ambitions should be higher than this.

Hold on, you pulled them up on the same thing earlier. As you rightly pointed out earlier, this is a thread about "ropey sales", which tonight wasn't.

We can all agree that this was a poor choice of venue for a quarter final on the other threads.

the venue should have been swapped with the England game. BBC viewers will once again be treated to a 25% full stadium with no atmosphere. Darwin would have been a perfect size for it given the ticket sales so far...though I have no confidence in the Kangaroos to draw a crowd anywhere either

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Hold on, you pulled them up on the same thing earlier. As you rightly pointed out earlier, this is a thread about "ropey sales", which tonight wasn't.

We can all agree that this was a poor choice of venue for a quarter final on the other threads.

ho hum, if I must justify Damien's post in this thread (which is a bizarre chain of events):

Selling out on the day certainly does not mean sales were not ropey. They obviously must have been when this thread was created 

So, perfectly relevant to a ropey sales thread.

6 minutes ago, JonNgog said:

the venue should have been swapped with the England game. BBC viewers will once again be treated to a 25% full stadium with no atmosphere. Darwin would have been a perfect size for it given the ticket sales so far...though I have no confidence in the Kangaroos to draw a crowd anywhere either

It will be a near full in the Semi at Suncorp and full in the Final at Suncorp

There are limited tickets for the Final already.

Those two games will pull in nearly 100k fans

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

3 minutes ago, Allora said:

There are limited tickets for the Final already.

Those two games will pull in nearly 100k fans

I was going to ask how sales were going for the final - I know it was announced in 2008 how well they were going and it sold out in advance.

Good news if it is selling well, and yes, hopefully the fact they are likely to play the Kiwis in the semi will be a big draw.

Just now, Dave T said:

I was going to ask how sales were going for the final - I know it was announced in 2008 how well they were going and it sold out in advance.

Good news if it is selling well, and yes, hopefully the fact they are likely to play the Kiwis in the semi will be a big draw.

I looked last night to see if they were giving the Tickets away for $10 and a free Beer since I paid plenty a few months ago.

It seems there are not that many areas left and they are charging a Premium for the few half decent seats left.

1 hour ago, Allora said:

I looked last night to see if they were giving the Tickets away for $10 and a free Beer since I paid plenty a few months ago.

It seems there are not that many areas left and they are charging a Premium for the few half decent seats left.

Yeah I bought mine last week - the cheapest I could get! - and there wasn’t a great deal of availability left. Would expect more or less a sellout 

Just now, DiH68 said:

Yeah I bought mine last week - the cheapest I could get! - and there wasn’t a great deal of availability left. Would expect more or less a sellout 

$45 seemed the cheapest.

We paid a couple of Hundred for a Family ticket in a corner spot a few months ago.

6 minutes ago, Allora said:

$45 seemed the cheapest.

We paid a couple of Hundred for a Family ticket in a corner spot a few months ago.

The 2008 WC in Brisbane was one of my favourite things I have ever done - memory will stick with me for the rest of my life. 

If the game is half as good as that it'll still be a cracker.

Just now, Dave T said:

The 2008 WC in Brisbane was one of my favourite things I have ever done - memory will stick with me for the rest of my life. 

If the game is half as good as that it'll still be a cracker.

I think I have already asked this but you coming over Dave?

In fact is anyone up in Brisbane for next Fridays Semi or the following Final on Saturday?

Just now, Allora said:

I think I have already asked this but you coming over Dave?

No mate, we have an 18m old daughter and we just felt the hassle of the internal flights etc, was too much this time. My wife is gutted as we weren't together in 2008 so she has never been for the RL, and she became obsessed with the 2013 tournament!

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

No mate, we have an 18m old daughter and we just felt the hassle of the internal flights etc, was too much this time. My wife is gutted as we weren't together in 2008 so she has never been for the RL, and she became obsessed with the 2013 tournament!

That is fair enough Dave.

If ever you get back out to Australia and Brisbane let me know.

I am not half the knob I come across on here as :D this is just a place to banter and Bullcrap and work up some tightly wound punters.

Just now, Damien said:

I find that hard to believe ;)

You could be right Damo, in reality I can be a real knob when it suits me. ;)

Same with you, if ever you are in Brisvegas let me know if you want.

1 minute ago, Allora said:

You could be right Damo, in reality I can be a real knob when it suits me. ;)

Same with you, if ever you are in Brisvegas let me know if you want.

Yeah only kidding. I'd say everyone on here is way different in real life than what we perceive them to be.

If only I was in Brisbane, would love to be going. Maybe the next time England or GB are there!

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yeah only kidding. I'd say everyone on here is way different in real life than what we perceive them to be.

If only I was in Brisbane, would love to be going. Maybe the next time England or GB are there!

I know.

I would look forward to it mate, we could tee up some other Brissy members and chip in for Rabbits to come up from Western NSW to tell us about memberships and the Storm. :D

3 hours ago, JonNgog said:

Darwin didn't pay for an England game.

rldfsignature.jpg

I still hope to get a pass to get to the final. If so, see you in Lefty's allora... 

I really thought today was great, and I also enjoyed the Perth games and the Cairns ones. They aren't mega numbers but I get the sense that the non NRL venues appreciate the event more. While we are super strong in Queensland and NSW, which of course hold vast numbers of Aussies, the interest elsewhere in the country has to be worth tapping into. Last year's NZ test in Perth similarly came over very well indeed. I suspect this week end will confirm the lessons of the tournament so far - with no marketing or effort to sell the event, the NRL crowds are not going to turn out, but that elsewhere people will buy into the event. 

The most mystifying element remains why, if they had no interest in their success, did Melbourne, Canberra and Townsville bid for them? 

5 hours ago, Allora said:

well you would hope so. actually assumed the final would be sold out by now. NZ semi should have been held at Eden Park, but that would require something resembling ambition...

1 hour ago, JonNgog said:

well you would hope so. actually assumed the final would be sold out by now. NZ semi should have been held at Eden Park, but that would require something resembling ambition...

... considering the tournament organisers are in possession of a crystal ball and already knew that NZ would finish runners up in their group and happy for NZ to host the Kangaroos in the semi's.

Archived