Plastics in the ocean

On 22/11/2017 at 10:54 AM, Kayakman said:

Both of these beaches were totally pure and very isolated...all by me little self way out there...looking down from the space the top of my head would  have appeared to be this(.)  Had to kayak and camp for 25 days to get there though!

Got to watch out for the rattlesnakes though!  Buggers will sneak right up on ya!

IMG_0540.JPG

I’m thinking of buying a kayak. What type do you have?

I was swimming in a nearby river the other day and a brown snake swam across in between all the people. 

22 hours ago, Copa said:

I’m thinking of buying a kayak. What type do you have?

I was swimming in a nearby river the other day and a brown snake swam across in between all the people. 

I know the drill, "Snake, snake, snake!"...had to do it one time at this exclusive club over there called Palm Beach Club or something.

I have three kayaks (one sea, one river, one sit on top) and two canoes (one river, one lake).  There is no easy answer for your question...it varies...how large are you,what do you want to use the kayak for, what are your storage capabilities, what is your budget.

I can help you if you want, although I don't really know the Australian market though, but I can give you some general advice.

One time a few years back I was paddling in rather extreme heat for about 8 or 9 hours, just ploughing along and I see a very large rattle snake, it coils in the water and actually springs at me to strike, I'm coming with a downward stroke with my paddle and knock it out of mid air, then accelerate all strokes so it couldn't climb on the back of my kayak.  I always carry a specialized rattle snake bite kit with me when I kayak.

I've got some insane live video of me having a direct encounter with a very aggressive large snake, me crushing its head with a rock in an attack, then beheading and gutting and cleaning and eating it (since I had a fire going at the time, it was still moving on the grill!)...I was very hungry at the time since I had been out in the Bush for a long, long time and had not had any fresh meat for about 3-4 weeks.  It was delicious!

I love snakes...they are delicious.

(Don't know if I would be allowed to post this video though)

48 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I know the drill, "Snake, snake, snake!"...had to do it one time at this exclusive club over there called Palm Beach Club or something.

I have three kayaks (one sea, one river, one sit on top) and two canoes (one river, one lake).  There is no easy answer for your question...it varies...how large are you,what do you want to use the kayak for, what are your storage capabilities, what is your budget.

I can help you if you want, although I don't really know the Australian market though, but I can give you some general advice.

One time a few years back I was paddling in rather extreme heat for about 8 or 9 hours, just ploughing along and I see a very large rattle snake, it coils in the water and actually springs at me to strike, I'm coming with a downward stroke with my paddle and knock it out of mid air, then accelerate all strokes so it couldn't climb on the back of my kayak.  I always carry a specialized rattle snake bite kit with me when I kayak.

I've got some insane live video of me having a direct encounter with a very aggressive large snake, me crushing its head with a rock in an attack, then beheading and gutting and cleaning and eating it (since I had a fire going at the time, it was still moving on the grill!)...I was very hungry at the time since I had been out in the Bush for a long, long time and had not had any fresh meat for about 3-4 weeks.  It was delicious!

I love snakes...they are delicious.

(Don't know if I would be allowed to post this video though)

It’s probably best if I just ask around at our local kayak shops. One has a try before you buy day coming up and I have to let them know what kayaks in their stock I want to try so they can bring them to the lake.

I’ve never eaten an Australian snake as outside of certain indigenous communities it’s illegal. I have, however, eaten a large python and cobra in SE Asia. Both cobra satay and cobra soup are delicious. I’ll eat most things at least once. I’ve eaten bear, elk, deer, bison and other goodies when I lived in North America.... come to think of it I’ve probably eaten my way around what would make a good zoo collection while on my travels.

23 minutes ago, Copa said:

It’s probably best if I just ask around at our local kayak shops. One has a try before you buy day coming up and I have to let them know what kayaks in their stock I want to try so they can bring them to the lake.

I’ve never eaten an Australian snake as outside of certain indigenous communities it’s illegal. I have, however, eaten a large python and cobra in SE Asia. Both cobra satay and cobra soup are delicious. I’ll eat most things at least once. I’ve eaten bear, elk, deer, bison and other goodies when I lived in North America.... come to think of it I’ve probably eaten my way around what would make a good zoo collection while on my travels.

Its important to try out the kayak and make sure you adjust your turns at different speeds to feel how comfortable you are in it...its sort of like trying on clothes...some are good for some body types but silly on others ...you have to find a kayak that fits both in size and design but also purpose, (the material it is made out of is important, once again what is the main use?)....then you have to start thinking about the paddle and all the other gear...get a paddle leash right away if buying any sit in kayak....also a proper skirt...also buy a cockpit cover to keep snakes, bugs, spiders out of the cockpit or you can get some nasty surprises.

Ever eat pickled goat eyes?  Ever try that manna from heaven?

54 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Ever eat pickled goat eyes?  Ever try that manna from heaven?

I’ve got a few things to think about regarding a kayak.

I haven’t eaten pickled goats eyes. I’ve eaten lots of curry and satay goat though. Fruit bat was the grossest thing I’ve eaten. I could still taste it in my mouth the day after. Wallaby, emu, crocodile, water buffalo, camel, jungle frogs, baby eels etc etc have all made their way to my dinner plate. Almost had monkey once but they had run out in the kitchen.

7 hours ago, Copa said:

I’ve got a few things to think about regarding a kayak.

I haven’t eaten pickled goats eyes. I’ve eaten lots of curry and satay goat though. Fruit bat was the grossest thing I’ve eaten. I could still taste it in my mouth the day after. Wallaby, emu, crocodile, water buffalo, camel, jungle frogs, baby eels etc etc have all made their way to my dinner plate. Almost had monkey once but they had run out in the kitchen.

Any questions you have about the kayak you just let me know...eat my friend, eat well!  Got me some nice wild goose sausage out to thaw for tonight. Eat and be merry.

• 2 months later...

Good to see Gove is looking into a deposit scheme -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43563164

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Back to the future? I well remember getting money back on empties in the 50s and 60s. Milk bottles (glass) were returned, sterilised and reused. It was normal. Kids used to go round 'collecting' empty beer and soft drink bottles to take back to the local shops and get tuppence or threepence for them. What's new about recycling?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

We buy Milk, water, juice etc only stored in Glass. We try and not buy things wrapped in Plastic but somethings its very difficult or expensive. The governments should be forcing food companies to use wrapping thats not made from Plastic or maybe look at a Plastic tax. Its a disgrace how human abuse this special planet. What future do our kids and grandkids inherit?

We was in Indonesia in 2013. Beautiful Country Ruined by rubbish. Jakarta is shocking for rubbish. Probably the same in most cities of millions of people. so sad and heartbreaking to see so much rubbish when diving around Monado and Lombok Island. The Fish , turtle etc Swimming and eating the Plastic.

We should all look at what we do with our rubbish as often sometimes by accident it Lands on the floor that goes in to Stream and Rivers out to see. Could we look to buy less things wrapped in Plastic? 

We used to climb over the pub wall and pinch the empties, then take them round to the outdoor and get the 3d back. Then go scrumping.

We might then go begging with our "penny for the guy". We would use that money to buy penny bangers to throw at each other or stick them up frogs backsides.

Then perhaps finish off with disturb the OAP neighbours with "Rat, Tat, Ginger".

All completely harmless innocent fun of course.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

12 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

Back to the future? I well remember getting money back on empties in the 50s and 60s. Milk bottles (glass) were returned, sterilised and reused. It was normal. Kids used to go round 'collecting' empty beer and soft drink bottles to take back to the local shops and get tuppence or threepence for them. What's new about recycling?

Back to the future but also the right thing to do.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

48 minutes ago, Bearman said:

We used to climb over the pub wall and pinch the empties, then take them round to the outdoor and get the 3d back. Then go scrumping.

We might then go begging with our "penny for the guy". We would use that money to buy penny bangers to throw at each other or stick them up frogs backsides.

Then perhaps finish off with disturb the OAP neighbours with "Rat, Tat, Ginger".

All completely harmless innocent fun of course.

Image result for jumpers for goalposts marvellous

Jumpers for Goalposts

Marvellous 

Archived