Challenge cup 2018

9 hours ago, Spidey said:

It’s never been automatically a Sunday

Its usually the hosts normal day, so when it’s amateur teams that’d be usually a Saturday

Actually it was up to and including the 2016 season on a Sunday by default and both teams by mutual consent could move it. 

From 2017 its the home team's choice with the RFL ruling on disputes.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, MidlandsRugbyLeague said:

Actually it was up to and including the 2016 season on a Sunday by default and both teams by mutual consent could move it. 

Well in the late 90s / early 2000’s it wasn’t - all the all amateur teams were scheduled on a Saturday, Sunday games only happened when the pro teams entered 

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:11 PM, Impartial Observer said:

that is wrong, valley cougars conceded the game so HCP went through

If that is correct then once again the BBC have got it wrong. The BBC had Valley winning 30 v 0

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

30-0 in some leagues is the same as 18-0 in others. 99 times out of 100 it means the team that didn't score didn't turn up. The BBC just got it the wrong way round. The RFL don't like it publicised when one the development teams don't turn up. It's happened quite a few times now. One of the first times I remember it happening was in 1993/94 when Blackbrook were drawn at home to London Colonials in round 1. The tie just mysteriously disappeared from the fixture list and Blackbrook appeared in round 2 without playing a game in round 1. With regards to Valley Cougars - I have supported RL in South Wales for years and visited the Cougars a few times. They are the closest club to where I stay in Treorchy and my greatest hope for amateur RL to succeed in South Wales. I was considering driving over to Hunslet for the game but didn't because, sadly, I didn't really expect them to turn up, regardless of the reason. Rugby Union is king in South Wales and always will be. Blackwood got to the third round a few years back (I went down there to watch their 1st round game) and I went to watch their tie with Oldham at Sedgley Park. 75% of their players had played RU for Blackbrook the day before. It's another example of the RFL trying to fool people into thinking the game is expanding when it is actually dying below Super League.

13 hours ago, MidlandsRugbyLeague said:

I don't think that's true. We (Shaw Cross) drew Valley Cougars 3/4 years ago and the default day was Saturday then. Again, they used it as an excuse to not show up. That time they were honest enough to say that the lads were playing RU on the Saturday, so we didn't consider changing it to accommodate them. I imagine that it's the real reason that they didn't travel on Saturday.

1 hour ago, beefy1 said:

I don't think that's true. We (Shaw Cross) drew Valley Cougars 3/4 years ago and the default day was Saturday then. Again, they used it as an excuse to not show up. That time they were honest enough to say that the lads were playing RU on the Saturday, so we didn't consider changing it to accommodate them. I imagine that it's the real reason that they didn't travel on Saturday.

The people running Valley Cougars ARLFC must have extremely short memories. In the wake of the Hunslet Club Parkside debacle, a poorly worded statement on the club's Twitter feed concludes: "This is the first time in the history of the club that we have forfeited a fixture and we will endeavour it to being the last."

4 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

If you cared to look on the RFL website and information that was sent out to the media the game is down as a walkover to Parkside so I do not think anyone is trying to hide anything, 

No not in this case but there have been plenty of other cases in the past. There was a time early in the Summer era when a few games that were conceded were not even recorded as 30-0 or 18-0. The RFL actually made up scores based on previous average results.

5 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

I was involved in the Midlands league a while ago and the competition rule at that time if a game was forfeited was to have an average of previous results to count as the score which that league deemed fairer than a 18 0 etc, so you are correct scores were made up but in line with the competition rules.

On the grounds that a successful club is penalised by only getting 24-0 when it feasibly could win a game 56-14 as an example.

Got to admit was very disappointed with Loughborough. What we have to remember is this is a prestigious competition for the RFL. The sides invited to play should be able to put a game on start to finish. For starters our coach was not allowed to park on the campus and had to park on a nearby street where he could. Nobody to meet and greet and show the players where to get changed, ended up walking the campus trying to find it. After the game no food for the players, no after match presentation or anything. I know this is something they probably don't do at student level but surely they will have had a heads up

6 hours ago, thepimp007 said:

Got to admit was very disappointed with Loughborough. What we have to remember is this is a prestigious competition for the RFL. The sides invited to play should be able to put a game on start to finish. For starters our coach was not allowed to park on the campus and had to park on a nearby street where he could. Nobody to meet and greet and show the players where to get changed, ended up walking the campus trying to find it. After the game no food for the players, no after match presentation or anything. I know this is something they probably don't do at student level but surely they will have had a heads up

Surprised they did'nt turn the hot water off in the showers Steve ha ha , yes bad when your not made welcome ...

6 hours ago, thepimp007 said:

A lot of this (such as showing the opposition where to park and change) sounds like common courtesy, no matter what level of rugby league you're playing.

They should have had a guideline letter off the RFL then. No excuse. A team who has never visited you before are coming a long way to play you and you don't even meet them or arrange after match refreshments. I don't think it needs a lot of working out. What are they learning at this University? It's not good manners.

On 30/01/2018 at 6:01 PM, Celtic Rooster said:

They should have had a guideline letter off the RFL then. No excuse. A team who has never visited you before are coming a long way to play you and you don't even meet them or arrange after match refreshments. I don't think it needs a lot of working out. What are they learning at this University? It's not good manners.

I refereed them last Wednesday, got a phone call before from the captain and parked on campus no problems.

What a lot pf people dont realise is that even our biggest and most successful SRL clubs are fighting to keep their heads above the water in their AUs and SUs where other sports often take priority, with big scholarships and bursaries, so for post match food - forget it, the Uni itself woulf be charging £8 to £9 per head for basics... I doubt many SRL clubs have that kind of budget. And the club wont have the decision about whether the coach can come on site at the weekend or not... that decision will be made way beyond their sphere of influence

44 minutes ago, MidlandsRugbyLeague said:

I refereed them last Wednesday, got a phone call before from the captain and parked on campus no problems.

What a lot pf people dont realise is that even our biggest and most successful SRL clubs are fighting to keep their heads above the water in their AUs and SUs where other sports often take priority, with big scholarships and bursaries, so for post match food - forget it, the Uni itself woulf be charging £8 to £9 per head for basics... I doubt many SRL clubs have that kind of budget. And the club wont have the decision about whether the coach can come on site at the weekend or not... that decision will be made way beyond their sphere of influence

Surely if that’s the case they’re not best suited to be invited into the Challenge Cup, if they can’t deliver basic hospitality. 

Looking forward to Wath Brow coming down to us! Will be the best side we've played in a long while so certainly give us an early indication of where we are in the grander scheme of things for the season to come. 

We'll warm up against Hunslet (formerly Hawks) RLFC this weekend......seems odd playing a semi pro side to prepare for an amateur side but honestly believe Wath Brow are a tougher proposition. 

I'm calling a close one that we edge 16-12 - it should be the game picked by the BBC as well, that or the Hull derby.

2 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Looking forward to Wath Brow coming down to us! Will be the best side we've played in a long while so certainly give us an early indication of where we are in the grander scheme of things for the season to come. 

We'll warm up against Hunslet (formerly Hawks) RLFC this weekend......seems odd playing a semi pro side to prepare for an amateur side but honestly believe Wath Brow are a tougher proposition. 

I'm calling a close one that we edge 16-12 - it should be the game picked by the BBC as well, that or the Hull derby.

It should be an obvious one for the BBC will look forward to watching the replay should be a cracker. I'd personally like to think we could have enough to get past Millom, but we dont have a particularly good record up there and although they got relegated I think a couple of their lads were training with Workington pre season so will be a test. Some decent looking ties around again but I think yours is the pick of them

7 hours ago, MidlandsRugbyLeague said:

As much as I might sympathise with them then - they don't meet the criteria for entry into the Challenge cup.

Archived