England v Kiwis in Denver 2018

Copa

2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Back in the days of League Freak, Clive Woody and Shadow? 

Well, two of them are still here as grand old men of the forum now.

To be fair, you have been reincarnated 8 times. Many a time we have thought we'd seen the back of you and you keep popping back up :)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2017-11-30 at 9:43 AM, B rad said:

England Vs Jarryd Haynes Fiji  in Denver 

New Zealand vs Grudge Match Tonga in New Zealand.

No, it has to be New Zealand if they play in Denver.  The one "rugby" team of any description which the general sports fan in North America has even heard of is the All Blacks, so the RL equivalent (because they represent the same country) is key to marketing the event.

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

No, it has to be New Zealand if they play in Denver.  The one "rugby" team of any description which the general sports fan in North America has even heard of is the All Blacks, so the RL equivalent (because they represent the same country) is key to marketing the event.

I'm not sure we have to focus on RU. In setting up Toronto Wolfpack, Eric Perez has said that he had deliberately not focused on RU supporters/players, but sought a new audience. I can't lay my hands on the quote this minute (I'll have a trawl), but he indicated that something like one in ten of Toronto supporters could be identified as from an RU background.

It's tempting to suggest "Stuff the All Blacks and do it for yourselves".

4 hours ago, Bob8 said:

To be honest, it is only a forum.

If a poster is annoying you, you can either stop getting annoyed, or Ignore.  Regardless of whether it is justified or not, there is no point in getting upset over someone posting on a forum.  No harm in using the feature.

PS: You are a newbie compared to Lobbygobbler, John Drake and myself.

I remember people reviewing my book based on things or spelling mistakes I had made on this forum or opinions I had (one called me a leftist which I though was very funny as couldn't be further from the truth)... that's when y know it's gone too far and it forced me off this forum for a while!! 

19 hours ago, Elijah said:

As an American and a person who lives in Denver and plays rugby, this would be perfect for rugby league, the last international that was in Denver was awhile ago. But playing at either Infinity Park or Dick Sporting Goods Park or even Sports Authority Field will attract, fans especially some American football fans and soccer fans and rugby fans in general. This is fantastic!!!!

Another American here. Signed up just to say I will go to this game if it happens.

1 hour ago, westside said:

Another American here. Signed up just to say I will go to this game if it happens.

Hey Westside...welcome to the forum and your first post...WELCOME...we need your positive energy here!

16 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Hey Westside...welcome to the forum and your first post...WELCOME...we need your positive energy here!

I think it's time quotas were introduced here; having the right balance of positives and grumps is essential. A 10:90 ratio would seem about right.

Oh, and a welcome from me too.

39 minutes ago, westside said:

Thanks fellas. Interesting times for RL in North America, lots of good stuff happening.

I remember about 20 years ago the Eagles used to be based out of Denver and there were quite a few Islanders who played for them...don't know the current picture though?

Whats the deal in Denver with rugby and is there any League played?

Based in Georgia.

Kayakman, I don't think there is any RL in Colorado. While RU probably has more fans in a Denver than the average big US city I don't think it's by much. Colorado has some RU heritage in Boulder (area where USA RU is based) and Aspen though. Mostly I think Denver is a good market for RL because it's a growing city with links to both coasts and is fairly easy to fly to from anywhere in the US. Not a bad place to spend the weekend either.

When the new Raiders NFL stadium opens in Las Vegas that has to be a new spot for RL tests IMO.

4 hours ago, Manxmanc said:

I'm not sure we have to focus on RU. In setting up Toronto Wolfpack, Eric Perez has said that he had deliberately not focused on RU supporters/players, but sought a new audience. I can't lay my hands on the quote this minute (I'll have a trawl), but he indicated that something like one in ten of Toronto supporters could be identified as from an RU background.

It's tempting to suggest "Stuff the All Blacks and do it for yourselves".

The organizers wouldn't focus on RU, there aren't enough RU fans in the US and Canada to make that worth thinking about and in any case lovers of RU would likely be hostile too.

Instead they'd focus on the general sports fans/gridiron fans in Colorado, taking advantage of the fact that the Kiwis can be easily related in their marketing to the only "rugby" team of any description which the latter have even heard of.

On 30/11/2017 at 11:26 AM, Mattrhino said:

Wouldn't it just be like RL as a sport to turn down $1 million because we are not sure if we want to travel that far haha

Argentina in RU are like the Harlem Globetrotters on tour 11 months of the year yet RL players can't be arsed to spend a week in a fantastic city in the USA because it might mess up thier preparations to play the doggies in front of 6k in the ANZ

Spot on haha.Precisely why League farts like popped ballon ,when the future comes slapping you in the face with a ticket to the future,whats tge response?" Dont like Denver,"(Andy Pipkin).

Nz its half a million bucks.get a hucking grip.

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

The organizers wouldn't focus on RU, there aren't enough RU fans in the US and Canada to make that worth thinking about and in any case lovers of RU would likely be hostile too.

Instead they'd focus on the general sports fans/gridiron fans in Colorado, taking advantage of the fact that the Kiwis can be easily related in their marketing to the only "rugby" team of any description which the latter have even heard of.

That makes sense.

Archived