England v Kiwis in Denver 2018

Copa

16 minutes ago, RayCee said:

If the Kiwis won't come - and I assume the NRL clubs would be the sticking point in that case - then PNG could get a squad that wouldn't upset the NRL. Being supportive of the Kiwi England match would test whether Australian RL is expansionist or simply navel gazers. 

No it'd be a test to see whether the NZRL is capable of reassuring the NRL clubs that they wont expose their players to unnecessary risk.

The outcome of this wont be a reflection on Australian RL at all, it'll only be a reflection on the NZRL's capabilities and how good they are at dealing with the NRL clubs.

Besides if the players really want to go there's nothing that the clubs can really do about it, unless they are willing to risk losing the player.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

No it'd be a test to see whether the NZRL is capable of reassuring the NRL clubs that they wont expose their players to unnecessary risk.

The outcome of this wont be a reflection on Australian RL at all, it'll only be a reflection on the NZRL's capabilities and how good they are at dealing with the NRL clubs.

Besides if the players really want to go there's nothing that the clubs can really do about it, unless they are willing to risk losing the player.

How can anyone assure no injuries? It's a contact sport. 

The comment about capabilities defies logic.The NRL clubs look out for their interests. They yield if it supports Australian RL, no so in any other situation. I have watched the machinations of Australian RL most of my life and it has nothing to do with ‘dealings’. I want to see if they have changed. 

If an NRL club says don't go, the player won't go. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

10 hours ago, Charlie RL said:

Promoting England as world champions- that would be something!

Yes.

And no-one there would know we were lying.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

6 hours ago, Jace said:

All of your claims are based on preconceived hate. You're the same person who stated that union is a 'non-entity' in Scotland. I know you hate the sport but sometimes you just gotta look at the facts instead of always undermining it even though you know nothing about it. I've seen NFL players reference the All Blacks. With Denver being a union stronghold, there are definitely some who would have heard of the All Blacks.  

Sorry there is so much nonsense in that I don't even know where to begin. You really shouldn't be so quick to judge people you don't know. 

3 hours ago, RayCee said:

How can anyone assure no injuries? It's a contact sport. 

I never said that they could, they can however assure that the players will meet their clubs fitness needs, eat the diet that their club has given them if they have given them one, abide by any alcohol bans that the clubs may or may not have in place, and assure that if they are injury it'll be treated properly and they wont let them play on if they think that they have a serious injury.

The comment about capabilities defies logic.The NRL clubs look out for their interests. They yield if it supports Australian RL, no so in any other situation. I have watched the machinations of Australian RL most of my life and it has nothing to do with ‘dealings’. I want to see if they have changed. 

How does it defy logic?

NZRL only exists in the manner that it does because of NRL and NRL clubs $ (I mean the NRL even tops up the Kiwis players paychecks when they play against the Roos or in a an NRL backed comp, which is basically every comp that they play in) , they make barely any money on their own, they have consistently failed to organise almost everything that they have said that they're going to organise for the past 25 years (whether that be internationals or an NZ origin that they have talked about on and off), they are effectively just the Auckland RL in disguise and it shows if you look into their development plans, the Kiwis themselves wouldn't be a quarter of the team that they are if the NRL clubs didn't identify the top NZ talent available to them and develop that talent, I could go on.

The NZRL has consistently failed to support themselves for almost 30 years now and complain when the NRL and the NRL clubs (who are effectively the ones supporting them) don't do everything that they want the way that want it when they want it and at the NRL and NRL clubs expense, it's like a beggar asking a person that's just given them a $50 note for more free money.

So yeah it seems completely logical for someone to be sceptical of the NZRLs' capabilities and of their ability to negotiate with NRL clubs.  

If an NRL club says don't go, the player won't go. 

Largely speaking that's true, but if you placate them or show them that it'd be more trouble for them to hold them back then to let them go then they're quite open to letting their players play, if that wasn't the case most if not all rep teams in Australia wouldn't work.

A good thing for the NZRL to do would be to get their players to get a clause in their future contracts that allows them to leave the club for rep duties at will, or they could just ask the NRL for help to get the clubs in line.

1 minute ago, Jace said:

Don't begin at all. We only need facts

This coming from a person that makes stuff up about places he hasn't even been to based on tripe that is spoon fed to him by the media. It seems like you are just doing your best to derail another thread. You stated an opinion and I stated a contrasting opinion. Quite why you are still going on about it I don't know.  Get over it, that is after all what a forum is all about. 

43 minutes ago, Damien said:

This coming from a person that makes stuff up about places he hasn't even been to based on tripe that is spoon fed to him by the media. It seems like you are just doing your best to derail another thread. You stated an opinion and I stated a contrasting opinion. Quite why you are still going on about it I don't know.  Get over it, that is after all what a forum is all about. 

Oh goodness, what exactly did I make up? I'm not the one throwing blanket statements around. You have a habit of doing it without backing it up with evidence. As for what I said, you could google it and find out for yourself

12 minutes ago, Jace said:

Oh goodness, what exactly did I make up? I'm not the one throwing blanket statements around. You have a habit of doing it without backing it up with evidence. As for what I said, you could google it and find out for yourself

What are you wittering on about now, you don't even make any sense. Do you even read and understand your own posts? You had an opinion, I had one. Move on and stop derailing the thread.

27 minutes ago, Damien said:

What are you wittering on about now, you don't even make any sense. Do you even read and understand your own posts? You had an opinion, I had one. Move on and stop derailing the thread.

Comprehension also a weakness for you. My posts are quite clear. You've been caught out now you're trying to deflect to irrelevant issues

1 hour ago, Damien said:

You have a problem. Move on.

Click for the drop down menu next to your name in the top right.  That will include "Ignored Users".  I use it liberally.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Click for the drop down menu next to your name in the top right.  That will include "Ignored Users".  I use it liberally.

I don't use it much, and not for people who disagree with me.

Like the panel show Just a Minute, I block posters for repetition and deviation (derailing threads). But not hesitation.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I don't use it much, and not for people who disagree with me.

Like the panel show Just a Minute, I block posters for repetition and deviation (derailing threads). But not hesitation.

It is not for disagreement.  

But, if someone is dishonest in their argument, there is little point in engaging with them.  

12 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Cheers. Must have been on this forum for about 15 years I reckon and have never used it before. 15 years seems hard to believe thinking about it but I think it was 2002.

I don't mind people disagreeing, hence never ignoring anyone before but when it's just baseless repetition and derailing of threads it gets a bit much. This is especially so when it always seems to be because of some sort of veiled defence and promoting of Rugby Union. 

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Cheers. Must have been on this forum for about 15 years I reckon and have never used it before. 15 years seems hard to believe thinking about it but I think it was 2002.

I don't mind people disagreeing, hence never ignoring anyone before but when it's just baseless repetition and derailing of threads it gets a bit much. This is especially so when it always seems to be because of some sort of veiled defence and promoting of Rugby Union. 

To be honest, it is only a forum.

If a poster is annoying you, you can either stop getting annoyed, or Ignore.  Regardless of whether it is justified or not, there is no point in getting upset over someone posting on a forum.  No harm in using the feature.

PS: You are a newbie compared to Lobbygobbler, John Drake and myself.

2 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

To be honest, it is only a forum.

If a poster is annoying you, you can either stop getting annoyed, or Ignore.  Regardless of whether it is justified or not, there is no point in getting upset over someone posting on a forum.  No harm in using the feature.

PS: You are a newbie compared to Lobbygobbler, John Drake and myself.

True. Haha when did you start? It was actually probably 2001 come to think of it and there were loads of trolls about then. The latter day incarnations are poor compared to them! I used to post loads in those first few years, until the paid forum started that is,  and have come and gone posting wise since, always still read though even when not posting. 

1 minute ago, Damien said:

True. Haha when did you start? It was actually probably 2001 come to think of it and there were loads of trolls about then. The latter day incarnations are poor compared to them! I used to post loads in those first few years, until the paid forum started that is,  and have come and gone posting wise since, always still read though even when not posting. 

Back in the days of League Freak, Clive Woody and Shadow? 

Well, two of them are still here as grand old men of the forum now.

3 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Back in the days of League Freak, Clive Woody and Shadow? 

Well, two of them are still here as grand old men of the forum now.

Yeah those were the days. Always remember someone who claimed to be American too, was it Mike Gibson? 

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yeah those were the days. Always remember someone who claimed to be American too, was it Mike Gibson? 

Good grief.  He was a prat.

Mike Davis, I think.

21 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Good grief.  He was a prat.

Mike Davis, I think.

Ah, the bitchslapper! He lost his rag quite spectacularly.

Some of the people I miss most were the more open-minded RU fans, because they brought an honest outside perspective. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived