England v Kiwis in Denver 2018

Copa

5 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

He has no idea about what he is talking about mate.

Ironic coming from someone who reckons Kiwis players meeting Polynesian players in the NFL is somehow going to skyrocket interest in this match

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Never said there is. But giving examples how this method has been used over and over again to promote sporting events across the globe which you said it would do nothing. Which a hell alot of sports marketing companies might disagree with.

Well if there are no rugby league equivalents then it is indeed a bad example. The names themselves are the pulling power. You're using world renowned global superstars as examples that are not available to rugby league. Both football and F1 wouldn't be top of the list choices in America but as least they had these names which plenty of Americans would recognise  

4 minutes ago, Jace said:

Ironic coming from someone who reckons Kiwis players meeting Polynesian players in the NFL is somehow going to skyrocket interest in this match

Well I saw two no mark college football players on the Matty Johns show a couple years ago promoting the Sydney College Football game. Me and my silly ideas hey :)

Who cares what the crowd is going to be (that is the job of the promoter and he is incentivised to get as many in as possible). The fact is $1 million is on the table for a mid season test and an opportunity to test the American market. It is a no brainer. 

2 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Well I saw two no mark college football players on the Matty Johns show a couple years ago promoting the Sydney College Football game. Me and my silly ideas hey :)

How many times do I have to make this point, you can't project Australia or England onto America. In Australia for example, there are plenty who watch American sports, even having favourite teams and buying their jerseys. The experience of watching a game live is always going to attract a crowd regardless of who does the promotional work. In America, that interest in rugby league just doesn't exist on wide scale. How many Americans would have favourite NRL or Super League sides that they support?

In fact, the Hayne experiment is the perfect example of this. He dominated the headlines in Australia during his brief stint due to the belief that America is the big time. His jersey suddenly had the most sales in the NFL and 49'ers games were even being shown on fta tv. Whereas Nate Ebner, who is a popular NFL player, played rugby union for a while. Most Americans didn't care nor did they suddenly decide to follow the sport

2 minutes ago, Jace said:

How many times do I have to make this point, you can't project Australia or England onto America. In Australia for example, there are plenty who watch American sports, even having favourite teams and buying their jerseys. The experience of watching a game live is always going to attract a crowd regardless of who does the promotional work. In America, that interest in rugby league just doesn't exist on wide scale. How many Americans would have favourite NRL or Super League sides that they support?

But I have provided examples used in several different countries in totally diffrerent sports. Yet you don't seem to see this exercise as worthwhile. Yes they may create different outcomes depending on the market and the reach of a superstar if you have one. But why wouldn't a tried and tested promotion tool work in RL. 

Americans could name an All Black player if there life depended on it but 67k went along to see what it was about. Now I'm not saying 67k or anywhere near will go to see RL but promoting it as Rugby player on practice field with Broncos ahead of an International match is not something that would work?

49 minutes ago, Jace said:

If it was that easy then a whole host of other sports would have done just that. Rugby league doesn't even have a foundation let alone much interest in Denver yet he chose it as the destination. It looks like an idea that is filled with blind hope more than anything else

To be fair Jace no one is saying that it was going to be easy but its not ###### impossible either!!

4 minutes ago, Jace said:

In fact, the Hayne experiment is the perfect example of this. He dominated the headlines in Australia during his brief stint due to the belief that America is the big time. His jersey suddenly had the most sales in the NFL and 49'ers games were even being shown on fta tv. Whereas Nate Ebner, who is a popular NFL player, played rugby union for a while. Most Americans didn't care nor did they suddenly decide to follow the sport

I don't think anyone is saying this will launch RL as a major force in US sports

32 minutes ago, Jace said:

So who are the Kiwi or England rugby league equivalent of those two? Never claimed I was, I'm just looking at it from a logical and realistic point of view instead of thinking that every idea that comes along is going to result in rugby league suddenly becoming a major sport in these places

Haven't you got this backwards? The initial suggestion was hooking up some stars of American sport with the match promotion, in order to sell it to the Colorado market with familiar faces.

If the Denver Broncos wanted to put on a match in Aus/NZ, I'm sure they'd look to some high-profile sports names Down Under (RL/Aussie Rules/whatever) to do the same thing.

It won't make RL a major sport in the USA overnight, but few, if any, of us have said that. But it can help build awareness of the sport.

If it was staged as a double-header with a USA/Canada test, that could also help. People like to cheer for their own folks.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Jace said:

Hayne, he's another guy that the promoters should exploit or at least try to get some contacts from if they want to try and make a game in the US as big as possible.

Just now, Mattrhino said:

But I have provided examples used in several different countries in totally diffrerent sports. Yet you don't seem to see this exercise as worthwhile. Yes they may create different outcomes depending on the market and the reach of a superstar if you have one. But why wouldn't a tried and tested promotion tool work in RL. 

Americans could name an All Black player if there life depended on it but 67k went along to see what it was about. Now I'm not saying 67k or anywhere near will go to see RL but promoting it as Rugby player on practice field with Broncos ahead of an International match is not something that would work?

You're using established sports that have a worldwide reach as examples which is a good reason why it potentially wouldn't work in rugby league.

Yea sure they couldn't name one player but the brand is where the pulling power lies. You couldn't use the crowd the All Blacks got as an estimation when neither rugby league team involved in this match come anywhere close in terms of global popularity. Even NFL coaches are implementing techniques from the All Blacks in their coaching which tells you all you need to know   

2 minutes ago, Jace said:

You're using established sports that have a worldwide reach as examples which is a good reason why it potentially wouldn't work in rugby league.

Yea sure they couldn't name one player but the brand is where the pulling power lies. You couldn't use the crowd the All Blacks got as an estimation when neither rugby league team involved in this match come anywhere close in terms of global popularity. Even NFL coaches are implementing techniques from the All Blacks in their coaching which tells you all you need to know   

But as futtocks said you dont use the RL "star" to promote it you use the NFL "Star"... 

But equally it is just an idea and just because you say it isnt going to work doesnt mean it isnt in the same way as MattRhino saying it would work doesnt mean it would... what it probably is is an idea worth trying.. what are you going to lose if it doesnt work compared to what you would gain if it does work???

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Haven't you got this backwards? The initial suggestion was hooking up some stars of American sport with the match promotion, in order to sell it to the Colorado market with familiar faces.

If the Denver Broncos wanted to put on a match in Aus/NZ, I'm sure they'd look to some high-profile sports names Down Under (RL/Aussie Rules/whatever) to do the same thing.

It won't make RL a major sport in the USA overnight, but few, if any, of us have said that. But it can help build awareness of the sport.

If it was staged as a double-header with a USA/Canada test, that could also help. People like to cheer for their own folks.

I really don't think any NFL team requires much marketing in Australia because like I said, America is seen as the big time and the NFL is widely followed league here. The brand names alone such as Denver Broncos, New England Patriots, New York Giants etc will do all the marketing that needs to be done and ensure that the stadium is filled. Rugby league doesn't have that privilege in America and neither do many other sports for that matter

19 minutes ago, Jace said:

I really don't think any NFL team requires much marketing in Australia because like I said, America is seen as the big time and the NFL is widely followed league here. The brand names alone such as Denver Broncos, New England Patriots, New York Giants etc will do all the marketing that needs to be done and ensure that the stadium is filled. Rugby league doesn't have that privilege in America and neither do many other sports for that matter

NFL fills Wembley too, but lots of British celebs, sporting or otherwise, are part of the coverage. Even if it is just a quick pitchside interview during a break in play. It is all part of the publicity game, because those famous people will also have been bigging up their attendance at the event to their social media followers beforehand.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Jace said:

It's aimed at some of the suggestions in here. The main point being that what works in one country won't necessarily work in another, and definitely not America 

Sorry, what won't work? We have already had well attended one off games in the US at club and international level, so it is not as if we haven't already shown that a game can draw a crowd. 

4 hours ago, Bramstein said:

Just a crazy suggestion but wouldn't it be better to simply play the match in New Zealand on the back of the tremendous support the Kiwi's appear to have given the world cup? Not to mention the fact that they seem to get less home games that England do.

England Vs Jarryd Haynes Fiji  in Denver 

New Zealand vs Grudge Match Tonga in New Zealand. 

14 minutes ago, B rad said:

Everything seems to have to be an Origin these days. Its a freaken Test, wish they would call it that

is it not just that it is on origin weekend so they are just being a bit lazy with the description.. definitely a test match BTW

Good news. We need to  have some test events in the US to check how good this Moore chap is and see the publics reaction before signing off the 2025 WC. 

Whats the worst that could happen? Even if no one shows up the Kiwis and us get paid. 

1 hour ago, pahars said:

Good news. We need to  have some test events in the US to check how good this Moore chap is and see the publics reaction before signing off the 2025 WC. 

Exactly this

People suggesting that a game is played in Auckland or Toronto, or coming with alternative matchups involving Fiji or Tonga, are totally missing the point.

Moore has slapped $1 million on the table because he wants to test the market in America. Why the hell should he stump up a dime to promote a game in Auckland? And if he doesn't pay, then who would pay for England to go and play NZ in Auckland? Not the skint NZRL for sure...

Forget all these 'alternatives' - the offer is for the game to be in Denver. Take it or leave it. And, in my view, both countries would be insane to 'leave it'.

Archived