England v Kiwis in Denver 2018

Copa

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

Maybe they are trying to hoodwink the Denver public into believing it's the New Zealand rugby team AKA the All Blacks?

I'd hazard a guess that much of the US doesn't even care about the All Blacks, that's if they have even heard of them in the first place. 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe ole Russ Crowe can get some of his Hollywood mates together to promote the game, but since there is no Rabbitohs I highly doubt it.

Would Rabbitohs vs Leeds in US have gotten the crowd it did if Russ Crowe wasn't actively promoting it and didn't know a Hollywood star owned one of the teams playing? 

I'm saying that as someone who has no idea what the RL landscape in US was at the time too. 

To get stars of their national sport to promote the game or even mentioning it, I think is a great initiative and I really hope this game gets off the ground. Can you imagine if Eng and NZ put on a game like 2013 semis? Oh boy!

Even better, imagine if England were the reigning World Champs by that time? (I know its a long shot but run with me for now)

A plethora of positives that imo, outweighs all the negativity around it.

And NZ would be stupid to turn down $500k. They need all the help they can get right now.

Despite the nightmare logistics, possible pie in the sky idea (not a dig at Wigan) and "build it and they will come" idea from this guy (worked for Toronto?) having just been to Melbourne to watch England play, going to Sydney in Feb to watch Hull FC play, a chance to see your team play in Canada and now a potential trip to Colorado for a game against NZ... what a terrible time to be a RL fan!

13 minutes ago, Jarv said:

Despite the nightmare logistics, possible pie in the sky idea (not a dig at Wigan) and "build it and they will come" idea from this guy (worked for Toronto?) having just been to Melbourne to watch England play, going to Sydney in Feb to watch Hull FC play, a chance to see your team play in Canada and now a potential trip to Colorado for a game against NZ... what a terrible time to be a RL fan!

I agree Jarv. Not before time though. I always envied fans of other sports who had the chance to travel extensively to follow their team.

rldfsignature.jpg

Aussie media beat up. It would have more credibility if the stadium in Denver was named  - I doubt it would be Mile High Stadium, home of the Denver Broncos due to size and being so far above sea level.

Now if the story had suggested a game in Los Angeles at Stub Hub Centre (30,000 capacity ) or Vancouver BC Place Stadium (54,500) both places with pleny of expats and some rugby heritage even if the XV variety then this story might hafve more credibility.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

3 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Exactly this

People suggesting that a game is played in Auckland or Toronto, or coming with alternative matchups involving Fiji or Tonga, are totally missing the point.

Moore has slapped $1 million on the table because he wants to test the market in America. Why the hell should he stump up a dime to promote a game in Auckland? And if he doesn't pay, then who would pay for England to go and play NZ in Auckland? Not the skint NZRL for sure...

Forget all these 'alternatives' - the offer is for the game to be in Denver. Take it or leave it. And, in my view, both countries would be insane to 'leave it'.

I wasn't saying don't take it. A yellow with pink poker dot Lamborghini is still a Lamborghini, it would just be nicer if it was red. 

2 hours ago, RLfave said:

Maybe ole Russ Crowe can get some of his Hollywood mates together to promote the game, but since there is no Rabbitohs I highly doubt it.

Id like to see Rusty get his team to play a trial game against Toronto one day. Maybe not this year, but when Toronto become a bit stronger.

2 hours ago, Jarv said:

True.....but someone will be on here soon, to ###### on the chips of this opportunity. 

Well, with Denver being a hotbed of conspiracy theories, maybe we've found a new heartland. ;) 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

In an ideal world I’d like to see the kiwis take on England in either Auckland or Christchurch but if both teams are being offered big money to play the game in the states then I’m ok with that. Just don’t understand the choice of Denver unless it’s one of the cities to be chosen in the proposed new 8-10 team professional US RL league.

I pop pooed this when I first heard this s few weeks ago..but the more think about it the more I don't don't mind it.

But there are some concerns...

One of the main points of the nz v England mid season game was to give the nzrl and kiwi fans much needed home game....if the nzrl agree to this then they are shoving too fingers up to their fans imo...

Travel - it's abut of a ball ache getting to denver,involving a couple of flights..and when you are there players will have compete with the altitude,everyone will struggle,especially the big guys,it's not called the mile high city for nothing..none of this lends itself to a good contest..

LA,Vancouver,Toronto,new York would be far better venues.

But we'll see if it happens,I'm doubtful.

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

3 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Aussie media beat up. It would have more credibility if the stadium in Denver was named  - I doubt it would be Mile High Stadium, home of the Denver Broncos due to size and being so far above sea level.

Now if the story had suggested a game in Los Angeles at Stub Hub Centre (30,000 capacity ) or Vancouver BC Place Stadium (54,500) both places with pleny of expats and some rugby heritage even if the XV variety then this story might hafve more credibility.

More than likely it would be the MLS stadium in Denver, which has a capacity of 18,061 for soccer.

As an American and a person who lives in Denver and plays rugby, this would be perfect for rugby league, the last international that was in Denver was awhile ago. But playing at either Infinity Park or Dick Sporting Goods Park or even Sports Authority Field will attract, fans especially some American football fans and soccer fans and rugby fans in general. This is fantastic!!!!

Denver did not occur to me as a first spot to test, but perhaps there is some genius to it as well.  It is a popular city in the USA and has a deep sporting culture.

I know the point is to commence promotion for the 2025 World Cup but I think its organizers would get more attention from the wider American audience if it was a US team participating in the test matches.  Its just the patriotic nature of the country.

I think a test or three but with one of the teams being either the WolfPack or the forthcoming NY team would also be a smart idea.  Trot them out all over the place.  Its what I would do, and I would be willing to put money on the table in respect of success of those test matches. OF course the RL teams would not be in the world cup, but it will help whet the appetite of the audience (and educate them as well),

8 hours ago, Damien said:

I'd hazard a guess that much of the US doesn't even care about the All Blacks, that's if they have even heard of them in the first place. 

All of your claims are based on preconceived hate. You're the same person who stated that union is a 'non-entity' in Scotland. I know you hate the sport but sometimes you just gotta look at the facts instead of always undermining it even though you know nothing about it. I've seen NFL players reference the All Blacks. With Denver being a union stronghold, there are definitely some who would have heard of the All Blacks.  

10 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Its weird that the NFL spend tens of millions of pounds marketing the NFL international series at Wembley when all they need to do is put a game on people will just turn up.  Seems like a huge waste of money for them and one they have been repeating for over a decade now.

Its also weird just how many things successful sports do that RL shouldnt bother with. You would think that successful sports would be setting out a plan to follow but apparently thats the worst thing we could be doing for some reason. 

My post was referring to Australia. But again my point is proven. People think a one size fits all approach works. In that case, why did Football struggle to launch MLS? What's stopping other sports from doing the same things you all claim to work? Why hasn't the AFL gone to America? That's right, there are smart people working in those other sports governing bodies who know it's not as easy as doing promotional work

1 hour ago, Jace said:

All of your claims are based on preconceived hate. You're the same person who stated that union is a 'non-entity' in Scotland. I know you hate the sport but sometimes you just gotta look at the facts instead of always undermining it even though you know nothing about it. I've seen NFL players reference the All Blacks. With Denver being a union stronghold, there are definitely some who would have heard of the All Blacks.  

There are no "union strongholds" in the US or Canada.  That game is much too far down the sports pecking order in this part of the world for that.

23 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

There are no "union strongholds" in the US or Canada.  That game is much too far down the sports pecking order in this part of the world for that.

It's relative in this sense. Denver, compared to other parts of the US, is where union is strong

17 hours ago, Copa said:

This forum is wilder than it’s ever been. Qatar, New York and now Denver.

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/nrl/sport-confidential-cordner-to-have-stem-cell-surgery-kiwis-eye-test-in-america/news-story/538361a23d34f80278f0dc9185d06f23

KIWIS AND POMS EYE A TEST IN AMERICA

ADVANCED discussions have taken place for England and New Zealand to play a historic Test in Denver in the middle of the 2018 NRL season.

Plans are well under way for the two nations to meet in June when the NRL grinds to a halt for a stand-alone Origin game.

Both countries have been offered up to $500,000 for the match. It is understood England have all but agreed to it but New Zealand are reluctant because they face logistic issues.

The idea is the brainchild of Jason Moore, who is desperately trying to get exposure for rugby league in the US after landing the rights to host the 2025 World Cup in that country.

If the Kiwis don’t agree, expect them to play a Test against a Pacific nation on the same weekend.

If this goes ahead why not get USA playing a test as pre match as well??

If the Kiwis won't come - and I assume the NRL clubs would be the sticking point in that case - then PNG could get a squad that wouldn't upset the NRL. Being supportive of the Kiwi England match would test whether Australian RL is expansionist or simply navel gazers. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Archived