England v Kiwis in Denver 2018

Copa

This forum is wilder than it’s ever been. Qatar, New York and now Denver.

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/nrl/sport-confidential-cordner-to-have-stem-cell-surgery-kiwis-eye-test-in-america/news-story/538361a23d34f80278f0dc9185d06f23

KIWIS AND POMS EYE A TEST IN AMERICA

ADVANCED discussions have taken place for England and New Zealand to play a historic Test in Denver in the middle of the 2018 NRL season.

Plans are well under way for the two nations to meet in June when the NRL grinds to a halt for a stand-alone Origin game.

Both countries have been offered up to $500,000 for the match. It is understood England have all but agreed to it but New Zealand are reluctant because they face logistic issues.

The idea is the brainchild of Jason Moore, who is desperately trying to get exposure for rugby league in the US after landing the rights to host the 2025 World Cup in that country.

If the Kiwis don’t agree, expect them to play a Test against a Pacific nation on the same weekend.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, damp squib said:

Why Denver though? It's a Rugby Union stronghold with no league presence so we'd only be promoting our rivals. This is an example of where the lack of unity between the two main drivers of our game in the US (Moore and Perez) is a problem.

or we show the Denver public why our game is better than the other game

14 minutes ago, Jace said:

Yea because that has worked awfully well in the past

worth a try in a place like Denver that has a big American Football following.. new era of trying things... it will be all about the follow up not about this game anyway and he will know that.

5 minutes ago, Bramstein said:

Just a crazy suggestion but wouldn't it be better to simply play the match in New Zealand on the back of the tremendous support the Kiwi's appear to have given the world cup? Not to mention the fact that they seem to get less home games that England do.

More the Tongan's and lesser extent Samoan's. Take away their fans and the Kiwi support was very poor.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

More the Tongan's and lesser extent Samoan's. Take away their fans and the Kiwi support was very poor.

A think that's quite a big assumption you're making to be honest. Base interest in a test between England and New Zealand will surely be larger in NZ than it would in Denver? It would also build on holding the world cup in New Zealand. The world cup has been poorly organised on the whole. I think we can all agree on that. But the games in New Zealand have offered huge encouragement. 

It just surely makes more sense to play New Zealand in New Zealand. 

Probably the biggest test NZ could play next year would be against Tonga, but they're already booked to play Samoa. So NZ's options are either Fiji or possibly England in NZ, or England in the USA. All decent options to be fair - it's nice to be having these sorts of conversations about international league! Thinking it through, 4 tests in one year against England might be overkill, Fiji could be a good grudge match now too, and NZ need more home tests. So I could understand going that way. But all that said, gotta go the US option! I'd be interested to know more about their plans for promotion, TV etc over there. But on the surface, it's an exciting idea.

24 minutes ago, Bramstein said:

Just a crazy suggestion but wouldn't it be better to simply play the match in New Zealand on the back of the tremendous support the Kiwi's appear to have given the world cup? Not to mention the fact that they seem to get less home games that England do.

Because there isn't a guy in NZ offering each team $500K

Sorry if that sounds a bit blunt, but I'm afraid money is talking in this instance.

For the record, I'm fine with it being played in America. More power to the guy for this.

4 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Sorry if that sounds a bit blunt, but I'm afraid money is talking in this instance.

For the record, I'm fine with it being played in America. More power to the guy for this.

The initial report is suggesting that New Zealand are reluctant to travel. The money on offer is obviously not that enticing if they have reservations about travelling.

5 minutes ago, Bramstein said:

A think that's quite a big assumption you're making to be honest. Base interest in a test between England and New Zealand will surely be larger in NZ than it would in Denver? It would also build on holding the world cup in New Zealand. The world cup has been poorly organised on the whole. I think we can all agree on that. But the games in New Zealand have offered huge encouragement. 

It just surely makes more sense to play New Zealand in New Zealand. 

Its no assumption, its based on the crowds at the World Cup. If England were playing Tonga I'd agree with what you are saying but they are not.

Added to the fact that England or GB have never historically got great crowds in New Zealand anyway. The last GB tour in 1996 saw 3 x sub 10k crowds for instance. As well as New Zealand coming off the back of a very poor World Cup where a lot of the country are rightly peeved at the players, staff and NZRL, people are hardly going to flock in droves to a mid season game against England a few months down the line.

Obviously base interest will be higher, that goes without saying, but that's not really the point of this exercise is it? If the money is there both teams can make far more playing in Denver and it means one team isn't flying around the world.

5 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

thats exactly it... 

on other threads people bemoan the lack of money coming in, the lack of general investment, the lack of interest, the inability to grow the game etc etc etc.. then someone with a genuine wedge of cash (not an Alan Stanford) and an opportunity in the US to play and people want to turn them down for options that arent being offered.. its mind boggling!

28 minutes ago, Damien said:

except their support was on par with Australia and considerably bigger than Tonga/Samoa when you leave the Auckland region.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Its no assumption, its based on the crowds at the World Cup. If England were playing Tonga I'd agree with what you are saying but they are not.

Added to the fact that England or GB have never historically got great crowds in New Zealand anyway. The last GB tour in 1996 saw 3 x sub 10k crowds for instance. As well as New Zealand coming off the back of a very poor World Cup where a lot of the country are rightly peeved at the players, staff and NZRL, people are hardly going to flock in droves to a mid season game against England a few months down the line.

Obviously base interest will be higher, that goes without saying, but that's not really the point of this exercise is it? If the money is there both teams can make far more playing in Denver and it means one team isn't flying around the world.

if we only ever go on base interest we'll never do anything a bit interesting or different either.. 

1 minute ago, Bramstein said:

The initial report is suggesting that New Zealand are reluctant to travel. The money on offer is obviously not that enticing if they have reservations about travelling.

I think its more that New Zealand know what the NRL will say about their players travelling. The NRL have announced a Pacific triple header in Western Sydney instead of letting Tonga, Samoa et al play in New Zealand and capitalise on their success. I wonder why that is because as a business decision it make no logical sense.

Do you really think a cash strapped NZRL is going to turn down a possible $500,000?, which is a damn site more than they could ever earn playing England at home, if they weren't forced to?

Maori all blacks v USA got 18,000 at soilder field last year.

I think if we are serious about the 2025 WC we need to create some sort of foot print in a couple of targeted cities in the years to come.

Americans love a sporting event. Do it properly and you could easily match the above figure. What is better between 15,000 at Mt Smart 20,000 at Hull or 18,000 in Denver with a $500,000 kicker

Wouldn't it just be like RL as a sport to turn down $1 million because we are not sure if we want to travel that far haha

Argentina in RU are like the Harlem Globetrotters on tour 11 months of the year yet RL players can't be arsed to spend a week in a fantastic city in the USA because it might mess up thier preparations to play the doggies in front of 6k in the ANZ

1 hour ago, damp squib said:

Why Denver though? It's a Rugby Union stronghold with no league presence so we'd only be promoting our rivals. This is an example of where the lack of unity between the two main drivers of our game in the US (Moore and Perez) is a problem.

Denver is a great choice.  Former Jacksonville Axeman and University of Colorado linebacker Akarika Dawn would be a definite asset in promoting a match there.

5 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Maori all blacks v USA got 18,000 at soilder field last year.

I think if we are serious about the 2025 WC we need to create some sort of foot print in a couple of targeted cities in the years to come.

Americans love a sporting event. Do it properly and you could easily match the above figure. What is better between 15,000 at Mt Smart 20,000 at Hull or 18,000 in Denver with a $500,000 kicker

and Canada just got their biggest ever rugby crowd for a game against the Maoris. people underestimate their appeal, especially if you can promote things like the Haka and make a big event of it.

Archived