Vince McMahon looking to invest in pro sports, files interesting trademark

5 hours ago, Jace said:

Unfortunately you fail to realise the cultural significance that American Football has in America. Americans may be fed up with NFL but that doesn't mean they're fed up with the sport. It also doesn't mean that a foreign sport can waltz in and suddenly become the toast of the town amongst Americans. Sport is much more than what is seen on the field especially if it has cultural significance

You are 100% correct.  A lot of disenfranchised American football fans are watching football college now.  I’m also a big soccer fan.  The growth of that sport here has been monumental.  It’s foreign as well.  If rugby league could just peel off a 10th of the NFL ($1.2 Billion) we’d be set.  I hope to make that a reality.  Merry Chrismas and Happy Holidays. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Royal Rugby League Rumble.

All players draw numbers, with one player from each team starting the game, with a new player joining the action every two minutes.. 

anyone who usually wears a scrum cap would have to wear a luche libre mask instead.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

50 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

But Jace it isn't a foreign sport if marketed correctly...American (and Canadian) football morphed from Rugby (both League and Union)...therefore rugby is the 'father' or 'mother' of football...any true football fan should also have an inherent 'like' of rugby since its all in the family.  For example, an ardent tennis player probably enjoys the odd game of badminton or squash.

This all the way. Great way to put it.

5 minutes ago, The Manc Yank said:

You are 100% correct.  A lot of disenfranchised American football fans are watching football college now.  I’m also a big soccer fan.  The growth of that sport here has been monumental.  It’s foreign as well.  If rugby league could just peel off a 10th of the NFL ($1.2 Billion) we’d be set.  I hope to make that a reality.  Merry Chrismas and Happy Holidays. 

Agree and the following sentence would be very interesting. Best of luck.

19 minutes ago, westside said:

Agree and the following sentence would be very interesting. Best of luck.

Mate.  It’s on its way.  I watched all but 2 RLWC games.  The tournament was fantastic!  I watch about 3-4 SL and NRL games a week.  Mostly on the weekends when kiddos are asleep.  Million Pound game, Challenge Cup, State of Origin, World Club Challenge. You name it.  I love the USARL our local comp as well.  This week I watched replay of 2006 or 07 St Helens vs Leeds Grand Final.  I watch more and more and more League.  I watch the Footy Show, Rugby AM (UK).  I’m a League Junkie.  One thing I never did in my 37 year love affair with the NFL was watch other NFL games other than my team.  I watch all league games.  I can tell you pros and cons of teams ranging from Melbourne Storm to the Wigan Warriors.  How did I go from not following League 2 years ago to being a total addict.  It will make it big here.  Yanks aren’t as pessimistic as the rest of the world.  I wish I could go back in history in 1895 at the St. George in Huddersfield to tell them that 100+ years later we’d have teams in Toronto, NYC, Philly, Hamilton, Montreal and Boston.  It’s going to work.  Trust me!  I’m living proof.  

24 minutes ago, The Manc Yank said:

Mate.  It’s on its way.  I watched all but 2 RLWC games.  The tournament was fantastic!  I watch about 3-4 SL and NRL games a week.  Mostly on the weekends when kiddos are asleep.  Million Pound game, Challenge Cup, State of Origin, World Club Challenge. You name it.  I love the USARL our local comp as well.  This week I watched replay of 2006 or 07 St Helens vs Leeds Grand Final.  I watch more and more and more League.  I watch the Footy Show, Rugby AM (UK).  I’m a League Junkie.  One thing I never did in my 37 year love affair with the NFL was watch other NFL games other than my team.  I watch all league games.  I can tell you pros and cons of teams ranging from Melbourne Storm to the Wigan Warriors.  How did I go from not following League 2 years ago to being a total addict.  It will make it big here.  Yanks aren’t as pessimistic as the rest of the world.  I wish I could go back in history in 1895 at the St. George in Huddersfield to tell them that 100+ years later we’d have teams in Toronto, NYC, Philly, Hamilton, Montreal and Boston.  It’s going to work.  Trust me!  I’m living proof.  

GO YOU GOOD THING!  Westside put the whip to this fine thing!

1 hour ago, The Manc Yank said:

Americans have always watched college football. Fridays are for High school, Saturdays are for college, and Sundays are for the NFL. Even college football has seen ratings fall. I believe Fox Sports 1 is the only network that hasn't taken a ratings hit.

46 minutes ago, emesssea said:

Americans have always watched college football. Fridays are for High school, Saturdays are for college, and Sundays are for the NFL. Even college football has seen ratings fall. I believe Fox Sports 1 is the only network that hasn't taken a ratings hit.

I’m very embarrassed to say this.  I’ve become addicted to reading about the NFL debacle.  I will google ‘NFL Protests’ then Search Tools and past hour.  I’m constantly following  everything. It’s very sad what’s going on. I’m also witnessing the destruction of a $12 Billion business.  The NFL won’t go away yet there will be drastic cash flow changes.  The wound was self inflicted.  

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/shock-poll-nfl-now-least-liked-sport-core-fans-down-31/article/2636837

2 hours ago, westside said:

2018 can be the year that redefines Rugby League from 1895. Let's see boys.

The nature of sport is changing (just like everything else), it is fluid.  I know the protests are part of the NFL decline but none was a bigger fan than me (Bills), but I've just lost interest in it, and I suspect many others have also.  For me it was the constant delays, timeouts, advertisements...overall the entire culture of the game and NFL itself.

I've been trying to express this to many posters on the forum but they just don't get it, believe me, or both.  Plus many have this sort of disbelief, that after many years of predicting growth for their sport, that it might actually happen.  They have had some prominent let downs in the past so this has really dampened the optimism of many.  They need a jolt, they need a push,they need to see progress on the dream to see it realized.

But this IS the time...NA IS the place...its all ready to go...now some of them balk, its hard to believe, because some don't really believe in it themselves.  So North Americans have to show them now, we will lead the way, but we need their help for the initial breakthrough.  Toronto Wolfpack have started the push but we need others to maintain the momentum.

The English Rugby League product is a true winner...and many over there don't even know it!  Others know it but they don't  know what to do about it...you gotta believe Man...you start by believing!

LONG LIVE LEAGUE!

I’m very embarrassed to say this.  I’ve become addicted to reading about the NFL debacle.  I will google ‘NFL Protests’ then Search Tools and past hour.  I’m constantly following  everything. It’s very sad what’s going on. I’m also witnessing the destruction of a $12 Billion business.  The NFL won’t go away yet there will be drastic cash flow changes.  The wound was self inflicted.  

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/shock-poll-nfl-now-least-liked-sport-core-fans-down-31/article/2636837

2 hours ago, emesssea said:

2 hours ago, The Manc Yank said:

Did you seriously just use the Washington Examiner as a source? Next are you going to provide an article from the National Enquirer telling me Elvis was abducted by aliens? Seriosuly come back with something not from Breibart light.

45 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

The nature of sport is changing (just like everything else), it is fluid.  I know the protests are part of the NFL decline but none was a bigger fan than me (Bills), but I've just lost interest in it, and I suspect many others have also.  For me it was the constant delays, timeouts, advertisements...overall the entire culture of the game and NFL itself.

Exactly, the NFL, and football in general, appears to have hit its peak. Sports popularity is cyclical in the US, it wasnt that long ago when people said the NBA would never recover in the post-Jordan era, and now it maybe exceeding both that era and the Celtic/Lakers era of the 80s in popularity. It was that long ago, when soccer was considerd a girls sport here, now Sportcenter is doing analysis on todays el Clasico, so theres always the possibility that rugby league takes off here, but to compare it to soccer in the US is apples to oranges.

1 hour ago, emesssea said:

The polling company is The Winston Group.  Newsweek said it’s a right-leaning source  So you might be right.  It was a survey of 1,000 people.  They could have done it in more red states.  If I was in Vegas and I was 3 weeks ago I’m putting money on the fact that NFL will have a lot less money in 3 years than it does now.  

3 hours ago, Copa said:

How did you learn about rugby league?

That’s a great question.  I’m thinking Jarryd Hayne.  I started League and union at the same time.  I bought a pay per view for USA Hawks vs Canada for RLWC qualification.  Then I watched the USA Eagles in Union World Cup.  I love League and like Union.  I watch a lot of Union too.  League is my love and joy.  How about you?  How did you get into it? 

23 minutes ago, The Manc Yank said:

That’s a great question.  I’m thinking Jarryd Hayne.  I started League and union at the same time.  I bought a pay per view for USA Hawks vs Canada for RLWC qualification.  Then I watched the USA Eagles in Union World Cup.  I love League and like Union.  I watch a lot of Union too.  League is my love and joy.  How about you?  How did you get into it? 

I was raised in an Australian rugby league heartland. It just becomes part of you when it’s all around.

11 minutes ago, Copa said:

I was raised in an Australian rugby league heartland. It just becomes part of you when it’s all around.

11 minutes ago, Copa said:

I take it you’re a Queenslander? I say this will absolute honesty.  I will cry when JT retires.  There will never be another one like him.  

48 minutes ago, The Manc Yank said:

I take it you’re a Queenslander? I say this will absolute honesty.  I will cry when JT retires.  There will never be another one like him.  

Champion on and off the field, don't get me started, Ill be writing here all day. 

I’m from the Central Coast of NSW. It’s in between Sydney and Newcastle.

I cannot wait until quite a few Queensland greats retire. I’m looking forward to it!

19 minutes ago, Copa said:

I’m from the Central Coast of NSW. It’s in between Sydney and Newcastle.

I cannot wait until quite a few Queensland greats retire. I’m looking forward to it!

Are you a Titans fan? You had to deal with that coach ######.  

I just watched last week 2nd State of Origin game.  I may catch some yet Billy Slater is UNDERRATED! Dylan’s Napa’s is a nasty ####. Smith, Cronk, Slater, JT. What a team.  

I’m a Manly fan. I watched all the games live. Its late on the previous day.  We’re top 5 in NRL.  We’ll see about sanctions.  

12 minutes ago, The Manc Yank said:

I just watched last week 2nd State of Origin game.  I may catch some yet Billy Slater is UNDERRATED! Dylan’s Napa’s is a nasty ####. Smith, Cronk, Slater, JT. What a team.  

I’m a Manly fan. I watched all the games live. Its late on the previous day.  We’re top 5 in NRL.  We’ll see about sanctions.  

Jesus, you had the pick of any NRL team and you picked them, lol.

In all seriousness it's nice to hear some positivity about the game, and to see somebody from somewhere that isn't a traditionally RL area fall for the game. 

55 minutes ago, The Manc Yank said:

I now live in Canberra and follow the Raiders (aka The Green Machine).

You picked Manly!? Of all the possible teams you pick them.. lol. 

12 hours ago, Kayakman said:

But Jace it isn't a foreign sport if marketed correctly...American (and Canadian) football morphed from Rugby (both League and Union)...therefore rugby is the 'father' or 'mother' of football...any true football fan should also have an inherent 'like' of rugby since its all in the family.  For example, an ardent tennis player probably enjoys the odd game of badminton or squash.

That's like saying all league fans should have an inherent like of union or vice versa. Truth is, if the NFL were to disappear, another American football league would take its place. They love their football just as much as we love our rugby league. Are you willing to give up the sport to follow American Football? They'd have the same answer as you. 

1 hour ago, Copa said:

You picked Manly!? Of all the possible teams you pick them.. lol. 

I supported Manly once as a young guy. One day I bumped into some team mates while I was holding a bucket of Holy Water. I spilt some on them and they burst into flames, turned into some kind of demonic smoke form and flew off into the night howling a demonic howl. 

I supported Nth QLD after that. 

4 hours ago, Jace said:

That's like saying all league fans should have an inherent like of union or vice versa. Truth is, if the NFL were to disappear, another American football league would take its place. They love their football just as much as we love our rugby league. Are you willing to give up the sport to follow American Football? They'd have the same answer as you. 

Some League fans do but not 'ALL".

I don't see the NFL folding and you are right another league would rise but there would be an even greater shedding of 'SOME' fans.

My analogy of tennis to badminton, squash, raquetball is correct....some tennis people would try it as a novelty and find they actually like it and take it up, others would return to tennis.  Its not a black/white or all/nothing issue...rather various shades of grey (up to and including 50!)

The reality is that many people in the US and Canada have already given up watching/following football..its factual.

Archived