Press Regulation

46 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Probably 95% of all news in all papers is opinion and interpretation, nobody just presents the facts. Every paper just takes the basic facts and then presents them according to either the political alignment of the paper or the beliefs of the individual journalist. It doesn't matter which paper you look at, left or right leaning, they're all doing exactly the same.

No some papers print outright lies.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2011/mar/04/daily-star-reporter-quits-protest

Most are very selective with the truth they print, and when or whether they print it.

Given the right wing stance of the majority of British newspapers this give a very unbalanced slant to politics in our country.

As I've said before (and I can't prove it) it reckon the hysterical tone of the papers during the 2016 referendum cost Jo Cox her life.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

52 minutes ago, Trojan said:

No some papers print outright lies.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2011/mar/04/daily-star-reporter-quits-protest

Most are very selective with the truth they print, and when or whether they print it.

Given the right wing stance of the majority of British newspapers this give a very unbalanced slant to politics in our country.

As I've said before (and I can't prove it) it reckon the hysterical tone of the papers during the 2016 referendum cost Jo Cox her life.

All papers are selective with the truth they print.  It's called media bias and it has always existed.  The beauty about the print media is that it is obvious and well known.  If your voting tendency is to the left then you buy the Guardian or the Mirror or the Independent (these days - it was originally started on the premise of neutrality).  If your voting tendency is to the right then you buy the Telegraph or the Sun or the Mail or the Express.  The Times varies with the weather.

6 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

All papers are selective with the truth they print.  It's called media bias and it has always existed.  The beauty about the print media is that it is obvious and well known.  If your voting tendency is to the left then you buy the Guardian or the Mirror or the Independent (these days - it was originally started on the premise of neutrality).  If your voting tendency is to the right then you buy the Telegraph or the Sun or the Mail or the Express.  The Times varies with the weather.

The Independent is no longer published.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Opinion is not an issue. Neither is bias. It is why some people choose the Mail over the Mirror or whatever.

Upheld complaints about lying are surely what we are talking about here.

Being unpleasant shouldnt be regulated against.

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Opinion is not an issue. Neither is bias. It is why some people choose the Mail over the Mirror or whatever.

Upheld complaints about lying are surely what we are talking about here.

Being unpleasant shouldnt be regulated against.

An example, a quite trivial one:

Richard Littlejohn ranted a few years ago about how money was being wasted teaching refugee women in Haringey to play hopscotch.

He is entirely at liberty to believe, and have a platform to write, that spending money on refugee women in Haringey or elsewhere should not be a priority over supporting whatever else it is that he would prefer to see supported.

However, nobody was being taught hopscotch. Hopscotch was the name of the group that was supporting refugees in their new communities.

This was pointed out.

Littlejohn then, a few months later, repeated the claim that money was being wasted teaching women in Haringey to play hopscotch.

To repeat: I have no problem with Littlejohn putting forward any point of view no matter how unpleasant I may find it. I do have a problem with lying to back up any position.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Deliberately chose this thread.

The Mail KNOWS that calling someone "traitor" just inflames things and gets the tiny violent idiot part of the UK all wound up.  Yet they keep doing it, time after time after time, today it's with Soubry: "Tory Traitor Anna Soubry".

Ever since the referendum, many of her colleagues have regarded the Nottinghamshire MP as a traitor.

As far as I'm concerned, they know enough about the past history of violence and the still very recent Jo Cox incident to know that this is incitement.  This should be treated as a criminal offence of incitement by both the article writer and the Mail's editor if she is harassed, threatened or suffers any attack, be it verbal or physical.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• 4 weeks later...

I find it hard to believe and fathom the course of this debate. Whether correct or not the simple acceptance of bias is part of the problem, one of the symptoms. But the concept of reporting is about informing not influencing, now that should mean one journalist gives one side and another the other side at the very least. If we're just going to buy newspapers or read them online because they make us feel comfortable with our own stupidity then we get what we deserve.

But the list of where papers stand politically was highly amusing :read::laugh:

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 1/29/2018 at 8:27 AM, Trojan said:

And that sums it up really.

Very nice and Beatrix Potter view of life and as comfortable as an old sofa, if you happen to agree.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived