32 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Paul Gallen - well done son.

Just KO'd Lucas Browne in 90 secs.

Browne ain't great, but he is technically a former Heavyweight world champion.

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Good for him . Browne had a brief moment in his career but he’s incredibly limited and moves at the same pace as  the ice age came and went . In the boxing world this won’t be causing any ripples . Amazingly this was PPV in Oz , and we think we get fleeced by fast Eddie for our diluted PPV’s

Edited by DavidM

44 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Good for him . Browne had a brief moment in his career but he’s incredibly limited and moves at the same pace as  the ice age came and went . In the boxing world this won’t be causing any ripples . Amazingly this was PPV in Oz , and we think we get fleeced by fast Eddie for our diluted PPV’s

I believe it was 60aud on PPV!

we do get fleeced though - lets not forget that.  Parker - Chisora is the latest ridiculous offering to be sold as "Box Office".  I certainly won't be paying for it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

we do get fleeced though - lets not forget that.  Parker - Chisora is the latest ridiculous offering to be sold as "Box Office".  I certainly won't be paying for it.

Yep . No chance . 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I was more amazed by it being on a Wednesday night!

It's some achievement for someone who is boxing as a second career, especially when Browne was once known for being tough. 

40 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I've generally been OK with PPVs, mainly because I didn't have Sky previously.

AJ is Box Office, Fury is Box Office and I will consider getting a decent Whyte fight. After that it'd have to be huge like Khan-Brook. There's no way Chisora is Box Office. 

12 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

There are strong rumours that Eddie is off to DAZN. It could just be that his overdoing of PPV could have been a tactic and he's known he's off to DAZN for ages. 

Yeh I saw that , his Sky contract is finishing I think . I’ve been impressed with DAZN . I don’t know how long they’ll hold the price though 

Good win for Gallen; not the most technically-accomplished fight any of us has ever seen, but he's certainly a tough guy.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

23 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Good win for Gallen; not the most technically-accomplished fight any of us has ever seen, but he's certainly a tough guy.

I wonder if a few other NRL players will be giving the game up for boxing so they can punch someone !!

2 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

i have DAZN,  but the product is miles below Sky UKs offering in terms of commentary, analysis etc.

IMO anyway.

There's a lot to like about DAZN, the accessibility is a big plus for me. I can watch it on the TV in the living room or my bedroom, my phone, other people's houses etc. It also takes away the impetus to get up for a fight, as I can just stream it when i get up safe in the knowledge I won't find out who wins. I've had more than the odd failed recording in the past via traditional methods.

It's still very much in its infancy though which is demonstrated by the low price. There's been the situation where they haven't had any live sport for 3/4 weeks before.

I suspect, signing Hearn would be a springboard to not only increasing content but also the range of sports like they have elsewhere. With this will likely bring an increase in quality of content too. 

Edited by Maximus Decimus

Being interviewed post-fight, Gallen has basically confirmed he has no interest in chasing titles, and prefers to fight opponents who give him the biggest return financially.  

Sounds like he will be staying in Australia then.  Shame, as I would love to have seen him try to take on 1 or 2 European opponents.

39 years old and 5'10'' at heavyweight - fair play to the guy for what he has done in the ring so far!

7 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Being interviewed post-fight, Gallen has basically confirmed he has no interest in chasing titles, and prefers to fight opponents who give him the biggest return financially.  

Sounds like he will be staying in Australia then.  Shame, as I would love to have seen him try to take on 1 or 2 European opponents.

39 years old and 5'10'' at heavyweight - fair play to the guy for what he has done in the ring so far!

Indeed . I admire his thought process ... well I’ve had a whole career getting smashed around in the toughest grade of rugby in one of the toughest positions , I’ll retire , what should I do now ? I know I’ll become a boxer !!

• 2 weeks later...

Some pretty big fights last night. Katie Price did enough to beat a valiant Jonas. 

Parker beat Chisora in a very close fight that could've gone either way. He had Parker on the canvas in 7 seconds but inevitably slowed allowing Parker to take the rounds later on. 

Ruiz Jr didn't go so well with his new and improved body. He beat Arreola on points but was on the canvas and seriously hurt a couple of times after that. Maybe the weight loss and time out of the ring has affected his punch resistance. No doubt Wilder will be all over that fight now! 

On 02/05/2021 at 11:28, Maximus Decimus said:

Ruiz Jr didn't go so well with his new and improved body. He beat Arreola on points but was on the canvas and seriously hurt a couple of times after that. Maybe the weight loss and time out of the ring has affected his punch resistance. No doubt Wilder will be all over that fight now! 

I didn’t pay for the chisora bill so I know nothing of that other than what I’ve read , but I watched all of this bill over two parts and it was one of the best bills I’ve seen in ages . Some real barn burners and everyone was a slugfest . I enjoyed the main event , and I’m actually a fan of Ruiz . He’s not gonna be Charles Atlas but my word he’s teak tough , he’s got fast hands and good skills and he’s boxing conditioned to go 12 rounds . I reckon with his head screwed on in camp he gives any elite heavyweight a hard night , and if I were him I’d be clambering for a fight with Wilder . He may get smoked but he could also cause Wilder problems with his skill set if he takes his wild swings .  

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

I didn’t pay for the chisora bill so I know nothing of that other than what I’ve read , but I watched all of this bill over two parts and it was one of the best bills I’ve seen in ages . Some real barn burners and everyone was a slugfest . I enjoyed the main event , and I’m actually a fan of Ruiz . He’s not gonna be Charles Atlas but my word he’s teak tough , he’s got fast hands and good skills and he’s boxing conditioned to go 12 rounds . I reckon with his head screwed on in camp he gives any elite heavyweight a hard night , and if I were him I’d be clambering for a fight with Wilder . He may get smoked but he could also cause Wilder problems with his skill set if he takes his wild swings .  

I didn't pay for the PPV either but managed to see them all. Was one of those, what do you prefer aggression or cleaner work?

I think Ruiz needs a few fights at this weight before he takes on a Wilder. He's never really been rocked before even when down against AJ, but was rocked about 3 times by Arreola.

To be fair Wilder's gonna need a tune up for anyone I reckon. He's been out the ring after a bad loss for 15 months without a date in sight. 

10 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Ah the joys of boxing. 

Saunders is threatening to pull out against Canelo over the size of the ring... 

Reckon he's trying to pull a Fury against Klitschko, but knowing Billy-Joe it'll backfire. 

Yeh i read that . We know guys like Klitschko and Canelo will put you in your place when you travel to their ground but youve just gotta be ready for it , soak it up and get on with it . You just want to see him do what Smith didnt do and Yildirim couldnt do , and turn up and give his all rather than just be given a beat down 

Edited by DavidM

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yeh i read that . We know guys like Klitschko and Canelo will put you in your place when you travel to their ground but youve just gotta be ready for it , soak it up and get on with it . You just want to see him do what Smith didnt do and Yildirim couldnt do , and turn up and give his all rather than just be given a beat down 

I think he'll at least give it a go if he doesn't get too stubborn and call it off. Sadly, I wouldn't put it past him.

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

Forgive my ignorance. Aren’t ring sizes standard?

Not in the pros . I think there are parameters like 16 feet square to 24 feet square , but within that you can  work it out between participants camps . Obviously a fighter like Canelo wants a smaller ring while a boxer mover like Saunders wants a bigger ring 

Edited by DavidM
  • Thanks 1