Ponga for Origin

Ponga has surprised  me this year I thought Turbo T would be a great, this bloke imho is better. Fair play to him for going to the Knights.

Indeed  I'm so impressed he is my fantasy team captain!

Why not pick him for origin at the moment certain Queensland players who i shall not name should have retired on a high note. Then again form is temporary class is permanent.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

He’s a superstar . If you’re good enough you’re old enough . And he’s bulked up this year and looks sturdy as well as lightning fast . He looks a threat with every touch . Latrell Mitchell on the other side of the coin looks in the same boat

From what he is reported as saying in January of this year it appears that he has picked QLD and Australia to work towards.

But Ponga said it was not difficult breaking the news about his rep footy future to his New Zealand-born dad Andre.

"I didn't find it tough but I had to get their [family's] acceptance," said Ponga, who was born in Western Australia but spent five years in New Zealand from the age of eight.

"I was born here, went to school here. To be honest it wasn't that tough pledging my allegiance to Queensland and Australia.

Ponga just oozes potential for more, on top of what he's already shown. Get him in the Origin squad, even if he doesn't play, just to acclimatise him to the team's culture and atmosphere.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well he came out on the losing side in Origin 2 but as a player he's a winner and his debut was regarded as a big success by most people.

He is an exceptional young player and already he's justified his selection, playing at the highest level in the game.

It was good to see him in action.

Any RL side anywhere would be lucky to have him in their ranks.

NSW legend Andrew Johns has taken the Kalyn Ponga hype to a new level, laying enormous praise on the 20-year-old by labelling his game two performance as the ''best debut in Origin history''.

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Well he came out on the losing side in Origin 2 but as a player he's a winner and his debut was regarded as a big success by most people.

He is an exceptional young player and already he's justified his selection, playing at the highest level in the game.

It was good to see him in action.

Any RL side anywhere would be lucky to have him in their ranks.

It still remains to be seen, doesn't it?

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

I reckon we'll see the Pong starting Origin III on the pitch, rather than the bench. And he probably would do so, even if it wasn't a dead rubber. Very impressive to see the difference he made when he came on.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 hours ago, Vichyssoise said:

It still remains to be seen, doesn't it?

Strictly speaking yes, although doing well in Origin does show his ability in what is regarded as the most challenging , hard and competitive series. 

You thinking of the international scene then, or that one swallow doesn’t make a summer?

I consider that performance of his was a strong indicator that he has what it takes to be successful in the game at any level.

It may as you say Vichy, remain to be seen, but I look forward with relish to hopefully see his career progress.

4 minutes ago, Graham said:

Strictly speaking yes, although doing well in Origin does show his ability in what is regarded as the most challenging , hard and competitive series. 

You thinking of the international scene then, or that one swallow doesn’t make a summer?

I consider that performance of his was a strong indicator that he has what it takes to be successful in the game at any level.

It may as you say Vichy, remain to be seen, but I look forward with relish to hopefully see his career progress.

So do I, Graham. He, Cleary, Addo-Carr and a few others belong to the next generation of Australians who are going to torment England and NZ.

But, yes! I was thinking Internationals. Origin is usually a tough series, but the highest level of the game it is not, never will be, never should be.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

1 minute ago, Vichyssoise said:

So do I, Graham. He, Cleary, Addo-Carr and a few others belong to the next generation of Australians who are going to torment England and NZ.

But, yes! I was thinking Internationals. Origin is usually a tough series, but the highest level of the game it is not, never will be, never should be.

I agree Vichy, but tell it to some folk in the game down under who want to block England NRL players from representing their country if and when that Denver test is repeated.

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Maybe,but for me Slater was still the best player on the pitch in game 2 

Legend , the pinnacle for anyone in that position . Totally redefined the role in his time . Ponga is even younger getting to this place so over the next decade fit n healthy he’s gonna go close to the best ever . I can even  see him doing a Lockyer and playing 6 the way he’s used for the knights with their Pearce-less halves being so terrible 

3 hours ago, Graham said:

I agree Vichy, but tell it to some folk in the game down under who want to block England NRL players from representing their country if and when that Denver test is repeated.

There can be but one pinnacle of the game... Imagine if it left the Australian shores :D

* Subject to change

Archived