Swinton Game

Krzzystuff

I'll be rolling out in an Uber to the game in about an hour.  Stayed in Old Markham so I'm pretty close!

Fletchers is not bad, the club house is quite nice and the fields are well kept.  20x better than Twin Elm in Ottawa where Rugby Canada plays Russia this June.

Yes, the National Union felt that they should hold a test match in that dump: no running water, no working indoor toilets, a club house filled with mice and spider nest, right beside a marsh so there are mosquitoes everywhere.

On 5/4/2018 at 1:01 PM, RobertAM said:

i bet we have abt 2700-3000 for this weekend. numbers a lot of teams would love

but return to lamport and multiply by 3   

you were not too far off with numbers for today. 2,900+ 

just got back after a bus ride, grub n beer at 3B with a rowdy bunch of first class Swinton fans..great day, location worked, beer flowed and excellent pie commission beef n beer pies.  all in all a great day out and a Wolfpack win..life is good!

Robert, there was a comment made in the Batley forum (Toronto thread) indicating Swinton had some problems and was quite unhappy about some matters, but no details as to what.  To the point they were intending to complain to the RFL.  Any ideas from the Swinton fans you met with?

not a peep! came back from FF on a Swinton fan bus and they were all in high spirits and that continued back at 3B where they partied until late. I know the club had a hard time getting them back on the buses at FF but again that was because they were partying like mad

On 5/6/2018 at 6:18 PM, Derwent said:

Bussey should cop a ban for his blatant act of thuggery on Swinton's scrum half.

He will indeed, young Billsborough was totally unable to defend himself. A disgraceful attack...the sly/dirty beggar. Should be a 6 game ban for fatty.

I made this post elsewhere on here but thought I would link here for discussion:

So I was at the match on the weekend with my missus who is not a rugby fan (she had a blast btw).  I will share a couple of thoughts:

Venue:  Fletchers is not a bad venue for a one-off which is what this essentially was.  Tickets were capped at 3000 for this game and the game was sold out.  I was impressed with the numbers the Wolfpack got out as the stadium is not even in Toronto and is actually about an hours drive from Lamport where they normally play.  There is also no public transportation out there.  The Wolfpack organized buses from downtown and the event was very well organized.  The complaints about the venue were also unfounded.  Was it a Super League standard venue?  No, but many of the other Championship grounds aren't either.  The grass was in very good shape considering Winter just ended here and the facilities at Fletchers are pretty good, the club house which you don't see on TV as it's in the Northeast corner of the field has a full bar and lounge.  Also, Amsterdam Brewery sold a tonne of beer, they made a killing by my estimation.

Swinton Fans:  Awesome!  I made a bunch of new friends and we shared a couple of pints in the club house.  They were all really happy with the trip and thought the deals offered by Air Transat were good value for money.  Most actually flew over with the Wolfpack on the plane and I'd estimate there were around 300-400 Swinton fans.  Easy to see why Air Transat likes this partnership, they can fill an entire plane up at a pretty minimal cost of flying a rugby team over, 40 seats + 400 paying customers.

Toronto Fans:  Interesting mix, you had people like me there who are actual rugby people (albeit Union) and then you had others, families, young people looking for cheap entertainment.  Note, Toronto Arrows played at the exact same time as the Wolfpack against Boston RFC and they were closer to downtown and only drew 1600 fans.  It's clear to me now that there is a strong appetite for professional rugby in this market of either code.  The Wolfpack can look this place down and solidify league if they continue doing what they are doing.

The Game Itself:  As I said, I have been a Union guy my entire life and never really got in to League before the Wolfpack came along.  I knew what the sport was and would watch the odd NRL match on late at night mostly because my brother had worked in Mt Isa Mines and had gotten super in to NRL when he lived down under.  Honestly though, I now love this sport.  The speed and skill levels of the players is outstanding I seriously prefer this sport to Rugby Union.  I'm really hoping the Wolfpack crack Super League so I can go watch big teams!

The Players:  The players on the Wolfpack are super friendly!  I had beers in the club house after the game with a few of them and they are all having a tonne of fun.  Spoke a bit to Josh McCrone who is absolutely loving his time with the Wolfpack.  He can't wait to get back to Toronto for the remainder of the season and he said the entire experience has been one of the best of his career.

Excellent write up @CanadianRugger great to read.  Glad you’ve taken to rugby league as are, it appears, many others who had only been exposed to Union up to now.  It’s this acceptance which gives me optimism for the future of both codes in Canada, certainly a breath of fresh air.

20 hours ago, CanaBull said:

It was on Facebook earlier that Jack Bussey has escaped punishment for ‘that’ incident at the Swinton game.

on disciplinary note:

"Andrew Dixon and Danny Tickle, who were sent-off for Toronto and Hull KR respectively, have also received Grade A punching charges but will not serve suspensions."

On 15/05/2018 at 1:53 AM, CanaBull said:

It was on Facebook earlier that Jack Bussey has escaped punishment for ‘that’ incident at the Swinton game.

I don’t think ‘escaped’ is the right word. Sending off sufficient IS the punishment. 

rldfsignature.jpg

6 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

I don’t think ‘escaped’ is the right word. Sending off sufficient IS the punishment. 

??? don't recall him getting sent off or even sin binned so escaped could be the right word

Archived