1 hour Wolfpack discussion panel

Copa

This is very interesting. It covers a wide range of topics re the Wolfpack... including that the stadium will not look full at maximum capacity due to laws that limit it to 9600 and that huge numbers just flow through the beer garden where they drink more beer, per person, than the other major sport franchises in Toronto.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1kvJpakBRvMxE

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Copa said:

This is very interesting. It covers a wide range of topics re the Wolfpack... including that the stadium will not look full at maximum capacity due to laws that limit it to 9600 and that huge numbers just flow through the beer garden where they drink more beer, per person, than the other major sport franchises in Toronto.

I've watched this and it does address many of the issues raised on this forum. You've mentioned the attendance, for example, but there are also references to the fears of heartland clubs/supporters, player development, TV deals and marketing.

The main point I take from this is that not only is there the intention for RL to become a major sport in Canada, but the club itself has global aspirations.

I think this is a worthwhile watch because, after all the forum speculation, the actual team behind the Toronto Wolfpack are giving their views on the venture.

1 hour ago, Copa said:

But Man of Kent keeps telling us that they're making up the attendance figures, this can't be right. 

We'll have to find something else to pick holes in now like lines on the pitch or the threat posed by the hot dog launcher...... this is sad news. 

WPs are better at communicating than for counting. I watched the Skysports video again, where there are more angles of vision. There are up to 500 people in beergarden (and I am very optimistic)
The stands are far from being 60% full. At the time of the hymns there are about 1100 people maximum in the weststand. On the East stand, we see on the English try in the first half they are empty on the sides and on another picture take by an English supporter we can see that it's the same on the other side!

I would say that the attendance for this match Toronto vs KR was closer to 3000 than 7000 ...

But it's already a great success:

beergarden.png

tribune 1.png

IMG_6141.JPG

IMG_6118.JPG

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

13 minutes ago, fcl said:

WPs are better at communicating than for counting. I watched the Skysports video again, where there are more angles of vision. There are up to 500 people in beergarden (and I am very optimistic)
The stands are far from being 60% full. At the time of the hymns there are about 1100 people maximum in the weststand. On the East stand, we see on the English try in the first half they are empty on the sides and on another picture take by an English supporter we can see that it's the same on the other side!

I would say that the attendance for this match Toronto vs KR was closer to 3000 than 7000 ...

But it's already a great success:

beergarden.png

tribune 1.png

IMG_6141.JPG

IMG_6118.JPG

Canadian crowds don’t all turn up for the anthems. They stroll in throughout the match. This was often discussed throughout the first season.

Interestingly they said they gave away around 1000 tickets to emergency services personnel at a recent game and that they target specific groups for complimentary tickets. For the Toulouse game they are targeting embassies, consulates and specific business groups.

32 minutes ago, Copa said:

Canadian crowds don’t all turn up for the anthems. They stroll in throughout the match. This was often discussed throughout the first season.

There may be some people who come after, but that does not mean much. I think that does not justify the gap. Below a picture during the match

Image-1.png

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

But Man of Kent keeps telling us that they're making up the attendance figures, this can't be right. 

We'll have to find something else to pick holes in now like lines on the pitch or the threat posed by the hot dog launcher...... this is sad news. 

It appears not...!

??have TWP fans ever sat in a crowd of 8/9 thousand. crowds look bigger at eagles. do they count the 5 free tickets one fan mentioned they get with a season ticket holder for u 16s, always seems to be more adults than younger folks, there seems to be a stream of bodys/fans coming in during the game and making a bee line for the beergarden as thou a gates left open for locals,they sure look to be having a good time but some dont even look whats going on with the game.

11 minutes ago, silverback said:

??have TWP fans ever sat in a crowd of 8/9 thousand. crowds look bigger at eagles. do they count the 5 free tickets one fan mentioned they get with a season ticket holder for u 16s, always seems to be more adults than younger folks, there seems to be a stream of bodys/fans coming in during the game and making a bee line for the beergarden as thou a gates left open for locals,they sure look to be having a good time but some dont even look whats going on with the game.

The coming in late thing is a bit suspicious, but if they are in the ground, they are in the ground.

I'm not going to revisit the whole dubious attendances thing again but don't let it be said that the signs weren't there if it does go belly up.

16 minutes ago, silverback said:

I've been stood with fans of my own team on numerous occasions and thought exactly the same

I'm absolutely astounded by some so called 'Rugby League Fans'.

Here we have a group of people investing millions into the sport of Rugby League and all these people can do is try to dismantle and discredit the hard work that's bring done.

Totally sad and pathetic. 

19 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

I'm absolutely astounded by some so called 'Rugby League Fans'.

Here we have a group of people investing millions into the sport of Rugby League and all these people can do is try to dismantle and discredit the hard work that's bring done.

Totally sad and pathetic. 

Hardly. Some people are merely pointing out the obvious.

Should Toronto be above criticism?

2 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

No. Are they 'below' praise though? 

For the record, I want them to win promotion and inject new money and interest in Super League. My questioning of their dubious attendance figures is not mutually exclusive of my wanting of them to succeed....

Daddy is right , its far easier to pick holes in Toronto /Hemel etc etc . 

Nothing should be above criticism but maybe a team paying for other teams to go and play in a very nice part of the world should be able to have a small period of grace before they get pulled apart bit by bit .;  

Above criticism? You’re ###### kidding. All they get is ridiculous criticism, most of it based on lies and ignorance. Go to social media and have a look at how many dopey flatcaps whinge about them costing the game money, cheating the salary cap, no away fans, causing visa issues, having “no Canadian players” and even having the temerity to have a wealthy backer, as if that’s wrong. 

The only reason these losers can whinge about Toronto crowds is because they get their games televised into the UK, something northern clubs can’t even manage despite Sky owning the rights. Someone has paid to show the other clubs’ games and still don’t think it’s worth it. 

8 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

Above criticism? You’re ###### kidding. All they get is ridiculous criticism, most of it based on lies and ignorance. Go to social media and have a look at how many dopey flatcaps whinge about them costing the game money, cheating the salary cap, no away fans, causing visa issues, having “no Canadian players” and even having the temerity to have a wealthy backer, as if that’s wrong. 

The only reason these losers can whinge about Toronto crowds is because they get their games televised into the UK, something northern clubs can’t even manage despite Sky owning the rights. Someone has paid to show the other clubs’ games and still don’t think it’s worth it. 

This post is exactly what I mean.

If you criticise them you get labelled a Parky-type fervent traditionalist even though it is obvious to anyone looking with both eyes that they massage their attendances by quite a high degree.

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

This post is exactly what I mean.

If you criticise them you get labelled a Parky-type fervent traditionalist even though it is obvious to anyone looking with both eyes that they massage their attendances by quite a high degree.

No it’s obvious to anyone with a brain that you have no idea what you’re talking about having never been to the ground, are in no position to know what the figures are and are only able to claim to know because they create enough interest to get their games televised into the lounge rooms of whinging, pedantic bores like you who think their ignorant view from thousands of miles away is more credible than the official attendance figures. They’ll also note no other club has such constant questioning of their figures or any of the other ludicrous double standards consistently applied to Toronto.

Just now, Copa said:

Have you listened to them raise those accusations on the discussion panel?

The link doesn't work. Besides, I have heard/read Nobby say they get 10,000 and talk of sell-outs when it clearly is not, so I do not pay much credence to the official line anyway.

I'm sure you will see from other posts that I am an open-minded, reasonable sort of rugby league fan but I just do not believe these figures. Sorry!

Archived