Travelling to Perpignan

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

It’s the April game. I’m on holiday when the June game is on.

It will be pretty quite then. If you do have wheels while you are there and you are flying back Monday I would recommend going to Collioure  on the Sunday, busy little coastal town which has always been lively (and open) when we have gone down there.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

7 minutes ago, Padge said:

It will be pretty quite then. If you do have wheels while you are there and you are flying back Monday I would recommend going to Collioure  on the Sunday, busy little coastal town which has always been lively (and open) when we have gone down there.

Good shout Padge, great little town

SQL Minor Stupidship winner 2011, 2012

Stupid Grand Champion 2012

Challenged Cup Winner 2013

28 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

But you live in or near London don’t you OC?

I do. I wasn’t advocating it for you per se, just confirming the routes. 

I know some do travel down to Stansted from the North but that number seems small and I can’t imagine it’s much more economical than a flight to Spain/elsewhere in France from the north. 

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:38 PM, Bleep1673 said:

When I went, I flew to Barcelona, travelling light, stayed a night there, took the train to Perpignan, stayed a night there, saw the game, train back to BCN, flight home.

Got to admit, this was the journey where I left my passport in the Hostel in Barcelona, got into France, and the Hotel, but got arrested trying to get back into Spain. Sent back to Cerberges in France, had to get a Taxi back into Spain, when at the border we crashed through on the wrong side of the road. I felt like some sort of Bond-Style agent avoiding the French-Spanish secret Police.

8 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Got to admit, this was the journey where I left my passport in the Hostel in Barcelona, got into France, and the Hotel, but got arrested trying to get back into Spain. Sent back to Cerberges in France, had to get a Taxi back into Spain, when at the border we crashed through on the wrong side of the road. I felt like some sort of Bond-Style agent avoiding the French-Spanish secret Police.

Good job you didn’t leave your passport in the UAE.

rldfsignature.jpg

9 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

When we drove from Girona to Canet Le Plange on the motorway I dont remember being stopped for a passport check in either direction.. 

14 hours ago, Padge said:

Done the Barcelona > Train > Perpignan one. Did a few days in Barcelona and the weekend for the game in Perpignan.

Also done Carcassonne > Hire Car > Perpignan fly out Fri. back Mon. works quite well.

Perpignan is fairly dead on a Sunday and Carcossonne even deader, though it depends which one of the two games April or June you are planning to go to. Things may be a bit livelier in June.

Not sure the time of year makes a great different in Perpignan but it certainly does in Canet Plage, which comes alive in the summer months. I've stayed there a few times over the years for a 'long weekend', usually four days and it's been great. Not speaking any Spanish I'm not too keen on Girona, Lloret or Barcelona option, but each to his (or her) own, I guess. That said Barce is a great place to visit.

The normal service bus from Canet to Perpignan takes about 15 to 20 minutes and cost only 1 Euro the last time I used it, though we've not been for a while.....?

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

3 hours ago, RP London said:

When we drove from Girona to Canet Le Plange on the motorway I dont remember being stopped for a passport check in either direction.. 

They don't normally on the roads, but they do on the trains, and occasionally on the coast road, apparently the Spanish have a part-time border patrol who does 25 hours per week, and she just chose to do that particular Sunday Lunchtime, according to my Taxi driver.

6 hours ago, RP London said:

It doesn't seem to be a problem with private cars, but similarly to Bleep we were in a taxi and got pulled over at border control. Our driver said it was quite a frequent occurence with taxis. 

3 hours ago, Wildcat said:

Last time I went we stayed in Carcassonne which is beautiful but next year we are thinking of staying in Perpignan  itself.

How far is the Stadium from the centre of Perpignan? is it a couple of miles? 

About that but the bus is (certainly was last year) free if you don't fancy walking.

4 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

It doesn't seem to be a problem with private cars, but similarly to Bleep we were in a taxi and got pulled over at border control. Our driver said it was quite a frequent occurence with taxis. 

ah i see... i'm glad we didnt get pulled over, we were all rather blurry eyed as been over for my 40th!

43 minutes ago, RP London said:

ah i see... i'm glad we didnt get pulled over, we were all rather blurry eyed as been over for my 40th!

We had the blinding idea of flying Girona-Manchester at 10am the morning after the game....! Actually worked out better than you'd think, as we were back home by the time the hangovers kicked in!

7 hours ago, Bulliac said:

Not sure the time of year makes a great different in Perpignan but it certainly does in Canet Plage, which comes alive in the summer months. I've stayed there a few times over the years for a 'long weekend', usually four days and it's been great. Not speaking any Spanish I'm not too keen on Girona, Lloret or Barcelona option, but each to his (or her) own, I guess. That said Barce is a great place to visit.

The normal service bus from Canet to Perpignan takes about 15 to 20 minutes and cost only 1 Euro the last time I used it, though we've not been for a while.....?

Canet Plage is a holiday resort, so, as you say, it certainly makes a difference there, in the Centre of Perpignan in the early part of the season there is little open on a Sunday, when I have been in the Summer months it is a bit livelier.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

6 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

They don't normally on the roads, but they do on the trains, and occasionally on the coast road, apparently the Spanish have a part-time border patrol who does 25 hours per week, and she just chose to do that particular Sunday Lunchtime, according to my Taxi driver.

We got stopped at the border and passports checked when we did the train from Barcelona to Perpignan.

1 minute ago, Bleep1673 said:

Really? France has open borders, so I am surprised that you got stopped BCN->PGN

We certainly did, it was stopped for a good twenty minutes while they went through the whole train.

We were surprised we expected to just go straight to Perpignan

21 hours ago, Wildcat said:

Last time I went we stayed in Carcassonne which is beautiful but next year we are thinking of staying in Perpignan  itself.

A fit man could walk it,many do after game but plenty of public transport. 1 Euro buses are great for rides out of town including Argeles or Canet for the beach. Google it.

21 hours ago, Wildcat said:

Go to the bus stop by the Castillet, show your match ticket and the bus drops you very close to the Brutus. 

Archived