Obituary Thread

6 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

I don't watch or listen to the news that much so this sad news has passed me by a bit.

"Make me smile (Come up and see me)" is one of the truly great seventies number one hits and instantly recognisable as soon as it starts. But, of course, there was so much more to the great man than just that one song.

RIP Steve Harley.

There certainly was:

The Mick Ronson Foundation

• Thanks 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Lou Conter aged 102, the last survivor of the Japanese attack on the USS Arizona at Pearl Harbor.

https://www.denver7.com/last-survivor-of-uss-arizona-from-pearl-harbor-attack-dies-at-102

• Sad 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Pretty sure the world's oldest man is still alive.....😉

He’s the only one celebrating the death of the last one 

Former world No 3 (1975) and British No 1 (1975) speedway rider John 'Tiger' Louis. He was 82.

Ipswich-born Tiger's racing career spanned 1970-84, and included a couple of seasons with Halifax. Louis, a speedway hall of fame inductee, won World Team Cup gold medals three times (1972, 1974 and 1975). With Malcolm Simmons, he won the 1976 World Pairs title. Later, Louis was England team manager, and promoted speedway at Ipswich until 2019.

https://britishspeedway.co.uk/miscellaneous/john-louis-1941-2024/

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/04/2024 at 13:15, Futtocks said:

I remember Wire drawing Chorley away in the Challenge Cup. Doug was MP for Warrington North and his son was MP for Chorley. 

They innocently wandered around the perimeter of the pitch at half time and got an impromptu standing ovation on all 4 sides of the ground. It was absolutely lovely to see. 

I really hope there's some footage of it somewhere. 

Clarence ‘Frogman’ Henry, who sang ‘Ain’t Got No Home,’ dies at 87.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/obituaries/2024/04/08/clarence-frogman-henry-dead-new-orleans/

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

At the Dancing Itos' former agent's boarded-up office, a dusty phone rings...

• Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

33 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Used to get a lot of bowlers like him in local league cricket i.e. fall somewhere between spinner and medium-pacer. Not many could fruitfully ply that method in County cricket let alone the Test arena. He had it down to a fine art.

Heard a number of Aussie batsmen say they hated facing him. Constantly nagging away, always there or thereabouts. Seemed to get under their skin like Boycott did the Aussie bowlers.

Those Kent teams Derek Underwood was a vital member of were instrumental in one-day cricket's halcyon years.