Millom Preparing for Historic Red Star Visit

22 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

Surely it’s the oldest amateur rugby league club rather than the oldest RL club full stop? Surprised there aren’t more from that date though - 1873 is a popular founding date for union clubs, and a few of the pro RL sides too IIRC - Trin certainly 

That's absolutely right. I don't remember the BBC referring to 'amateur' yesterday, but certainly a few minutes ago they did clearly say Millom was the oldest amateur rugby league team in the world.

5 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

That's absolutely right. I don't remember the BBC referring to 'amateur' yesterday, but certainly a few minutes ago they did clearly say Millom was the oldest amateur rugby league team in the world.

Yes. In reality they still played by union rules immediately after the schism so there weren’t  actually any RL clubs as such even in 1895.

rldfsignature.jpg

1 hour ago, Manxmanc said:

I don't know if anyone else saw the studio discussion piece on this game on the BBC News Sports section - 6.30pm? yesterday. Apart from the match itself, It included references to the background to RL in Serbia and future aspirations of the club. The presenters seemed genuinely interested in the developments, in a discussion which showed RL in a good light. The tradition was also highlighted with Millom's status as the oldest Rugby League club in the world emphasised as a contrast.

The extended piece was unexpected, and without wishing to divert this thread in other directions, demonstrates the potentially huge publicity value of having expansion teams in the Challenge Cup.

Just been shown again now, very good 3 minute piece.

1 hour ago, Aidan Putt said:

Just been shown again now, very good 3 minute piece.

Yes...but when they actually have a chance of winning it we then charge them an astronomical fee to push them away...crazy.

As previously mention National coverage on BBC Breakfast at 9am.

Good exposure for 3 1/2 minutes with cameras in Serbia and Millom.

2hours 57mins in ;   https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0c01f12/breakfast-26012019

The same 3 1/2 min section repeated on the lunchtime news.

This may be the beginning of greater promotion of the challenge Cup by the BBC (to which they have the rights and so should be promoting it ) after pressure from the RL Parlimentry Group/ RFL

10 minutes ago, Yosser said:

2hours 57mins in ;   https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0c01f12/breakfast-26012019

Adam Wild was the reporter, and he did a fine job in a short timeslot. Worth watching.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

23 minutes ago, Yosser said:

The same 3 1/2 min section repeated on the lunchtime news.

This may be the beginning of greater promotion of the challenge Cup by the BBC (to which they have the rights and so should be promoting it ) after pressure from the RL Parlimentry Group/ RFL

A very good watch and great publicity. It was fantastic to hear some Serbs interviewed too which definitely gave a very positive impression.

Archived