good money if you can get it

tms

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Fezantplucka said:

Does plastic grow on trees in Canada ??

We also have liquid cash, comes out of the ground.  Millions of barrels worth per year.

2 minutes ago, LR23 said:

It was a genuine question but if you are going to resort to that - how did those middle 8s work out for you?

I'm screwing around, genuinely probably half this team will be gone when/if we make Super League.

1 minute ago, CanadianRugger said:

We have liquid cash, comes out of the ground.  Millions of barrels worth per year.

I'm screwing around, genuinely probably half this team will be gone when/if we make Super League.

Maybe but you probably don't have as much room as you would like under the salary cap because of the big contracts you have already handed out. Good luck to you anyway - I fancy the trip to Toronto.

Points to a potential recruitment problem. There must be 15 better centres...

All successful teams have 2 things in common. 1. A consistent 'culture' and 2. A recruitment policy that is aligned with point 1.

If Toronto are promoted, itll be interesting to see how they go in regards to this. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

13 minutes ago, LR23 said:

I look forward to seeing Toronto play in Super League before anyone jumps on my back, but.....I was watching on Sunday and thinking they are still not very good (they break Championships teams by shear force but it wont work at the top level) and will need to sign a lot of new players to be competitive next year but how on earth are they going to fit them all in below the salary cap. Does anyone know which players are off contract next year? I assume most of the big earners bar Sims will be retained?

Excellent question.

Rugger - you have all the answers, over to you.

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Excellent question.

Rugger - you have all the answers, over to you.

I need to be able to yell BINGO before you'll get one.

Are all teams even spending to the Salary Cap or is only half the league?  I don't think they are and I'm willing to bet only Leeds, Catalans, St Helens, Warrington, Wigan, Castleford and Hull are spending to cap.

Hence the 7-5 vote to not raise the cap.

@LR23 partial answer above.  Toronto will be able to outspend 50% of the Super League clubs right now.  I predict we will play the long game.  Goal for the first two years in SL will be remaining in Super League.

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Are all teams even spending to the Salary Cap or is only half the league?  I don't think they are and I'm willing to bet only Leeds, Catalans, St Helens, Warrington, Wigan, Castleford and Hull are spending to cap.

I'd expect most are spending most of the cap. It's the utilisation of the marquee rules which is what splits them. Added to that the general trend is that the bigger clubs also have the best academies - that's where you get the gap. TWP's biggest task IMO is not attracting the top players, marquee will take care of that, but getting a squad of solid SL standard players within the remaining cap. Presuming they will be given the same allowances as Catalans that won't be too difficult - whether that's enough to compete with the sides that also have a wealth of academy products at their disposal remains to be seen.  

40 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

They will be packing their bags soon and coming to Toronto...this is only the beginning.

I stated a long time ago on this very forum what was going to happen and some laughed it off....that was a fatal error.

I will restate, "  SL title within 2-3 years with a top 5 performance expected next year then the World Club Championship and off to the Land of OZ (with a WIN in our pocket when we return)."

Its going to happen and the Wolfpack will be hunting rabbits down under for sure methinks.

The Toronto Wolfpack is the hottest rugby club in the world right now (League or Union)....we can't be stopped on our mission.  We have the will and knowledge to continue right to the very top.   The Canadians are coming.

The Canadians are coming for you in SL and Down Under...you have been properly warned.  We mean business.

Oh my.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Only one more on the marquee rule K'man and that is 300K of your 1.8M, I told you the other day you can't buy your way to success in RL rules, I will take you much more seriously when you start listening and then talking sense.

It's £2 million this year and £2.1 million next year.

Some of your clubs are losing money and def don't make the maximum of their cap space.

13 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Meh. Whataboutery.

3 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I'd expect most are spending most of the cap. It's the utilisation of the marquee rules which is what splits them. Added to that the general trend is that the bigger clubs also have the best academies - that's where you get the gap. TWP's biggest task IMO is not attracting the top players, marquee will take care of that, but getting a squad of solid SL standard players within the remaining cap. Presuming they will be given the same allowances as Catalans that won't be too difficult - whether that's enough to compete with the sides that also have a wealth of academy products at their disposal remains to be seen.  

I don't think we will challenge Saints, Warrington or Wigan right away.  It will take time to build the winning product, I agree with you there.

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

I don't think we will challenge Saints, Warrington or Wigan right away.  It will take time to build the winning product, I agree with you there.

This is a very cruel game, if injuries consume half your squad as it has done with a few SL clubs in the last few seasons, you have no where to turn to however strong the depth of player's may be TWP will be devoid of it.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

This is a very cruel game, if injuries consume half your squad as it has done with a few SL clubs in the last few seasons, you have no where to turn to however strong the depth of player's may be TWP will be devoid of it.

Not as cruel as this forum.  I get the feeling all Rugby League fans are really just clones of Simon Cowell.

Archived