Sign in to follow this  
Bartholemew Smythe

Championship 2020

7 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

Their 2 playoff games averaged about 1200 , no future with that support.

In the Championship I agree, but that's more than Catalans were drawing before they entered SL and now they're pushing 10,000.

Toulouse should have been admitted on the Catalans model which is tried and tested and was a complete success. In this system they're going to wither away, which maybe was the plan from the start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kiggy said:

Toulouse will be struggling unless they bring in some new players. As many commentators have said in this forum that they are too lightweight at the moment. Plenty of flair, but lacking in the basic forward play.

They've lost Tyler Hepi and Dean Parata already, and another name is about to depart. Ilias Bergal after his injury at Fev will probably play no part in next season and Marion will probably not start training again until after the new year. They need a hooker and quick.

A nice new ground to play at though which could bring in the union supporters for when Toulouse (15's) play away at the weekend. There were 6000 there for the Toronto match this last season.

I hear that other player could be heading London's way

On 06/10/2019 at 15:16, millomite said:

Hopefully it’s Newcastle. That ground Oldham are playing at looks worse than most NCL grounds

Sheffield, on the other hand...........................................

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 08/10/2019 at 08:54, The Blues Ox said:

It could easily be Bradford if they actually make it to the start of the season and are allowed to continue in this league. Other than that I think the 2 heavy wollen teams will be in the mix for the drop come the end of the season.

Oldham and Swinton will be strong favourites for the drop, rightly or wrongly. Batley and Dewsbury will obviously feature in that mix but so might Bradford and even Widnes. Whitehaven will be dark horses - great or awful, who knows.

Will all of the clubs make it to the first week of the season though?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 09/10/2019 at 15:37, Logic said:

Scott Naylor was interviewed only at the end of last week and confirmed that he did not have another role as yet. He is interested in taking up another, but there are only a limited number of jobs for a rather large number of applicants. However as an Oldham fan, I hope that he does get something in the near future, as he certainly deserves to.  

Union, then?

5 hours ago, damp squib said:

In the Championship I agree, but that's more than Catalans were drawing before they entered SL and now they're pushing 10,000.

Toulouse should have been admitted on the Catalans model which is tried and tested and was a complete success. In this system they're going to wither away, which maybe was the plan from the start.

I don’t get that they should be in super league. There are routes to get in but you have to be good enough 

• Like 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

15 hours ago, DEANO said:

I don’t get that they should be in super league. There are routes to get in but you have to be good enough 

They'll never be good enough when they have to waste money paying for teams to fly over and stay in Toulouse instead of investing in their team. Toulouse don't have a billionaire backer like Toronto.

Teams outside the north of England are at a complete disadvantage unless they have mega money.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, damp squib said:

They'll never be good enough when they have to waste money paying for teams to fly over and stay in Toulouse instead of investing in their team. Toulouse don't have a billionaire backer like Toronto.

Teams outside the north of England are at a complete disadvantage unless they have mega money.

How long have they had to do this?

On 11/10/2019 at 18:18, dunno much said:

I hear that other player could be heading London's way

I couldn't possibly comment 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

How long have they had to do this?

A stipulation from when they entered the English league

10 minutes ago, dunno much said:

And Im hearing another player heading to Catalans

and after signing parata FEV linked with another forward

On 10/10/2019 at 08:51, The Blues Ox said:

Just specualtion and I said the same on the Fev forum, but Leeds having a reserves will probably help Fev and is the reason Fev didn't apply for the reserves league. Im sure Fev will now send the pick of their reserves team if not all so they can play as Leeds reserves still giving Leeds plenty of chance to send players to Fev to enhance their development at a level that will be far higher than what any reserves league will be.

Sutcliffe and McClelland show great promise but won't get a game with Rhinos at the start until injuries hit the squad, but  they need to be playing for Fev, not in the reserves. Luke Briscoe will probably be back with them too until he's needed back at Headingley? What Fev do if players like these are recalled will determine their season, but Longo and Campbell have a good track record at bringing quality players in.

11 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

Sutcliffe and McClelland show great promise but won't get a game with Rhinos at the start until injuries hit the squad, but  they need to be playing for Fev, not in the reserves. Luke Briscoe will probably be back with them too until he's needed back at Headingley? What Fev do if players like these are recalled will determine their season, but Longo and Campbell have a good track record at bringing quality players in.

One big issue will be how a new coach manages your star player.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

On 08/10/2019 at 11:09, RL does what Sky says said:

Yes Boundary park would be OK but Bower Fold was used the last time Oldham were in the Championship. It's also 5 miles away from the current ground - exactly the same distance as the AJ Bell Stadium is from Salford''s former ground at The Willows.

Went to a game at Oldham at the start of the season. Interestingly, the Oldham fans around me seemed very fond of Bower Fold, which anyone who has been, either for RL or football, will know is a decent ground. The poster (a Millom fan?) suggesting Whitebank isn't as good as many NCL grounds is talking nonsense. Whitebank has cover and seats (along with lights and a quality plastic pitch). In the NCL, only Mayfield (cover and seats - and that's a former non-league football ground), Dudley Hill (cover), Heworth (cover) and Saddleworth (cover) come anywhere close.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 2

On 12/10/2019 at 21:03, dunno much said:

And Im hearing another player heading to Catalans

Yes, although he won't be missed as much, defence he is OK, offence is a bit naff. Maybe a new coach can get his head sorted

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I think you're getting your teams beginning 'To' mixed up.........

Indeed. I don't recall Toulouse or Catalans ever having to subsidise travel for clubs, nor should they.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I think you're getting your teams beginning 'To' mixed up.........

I believe Kiggy is right, I remember that Toulouse did this a couple of seasons back but unsure if they still do.

Edited by dunno much