Good luck England

Blue Pike

9 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Oh aye. This would have been late 80s. It's not like us folk to hold a grudge...... ??

Seriously though, everyone knew i enjoyed going to fev when i could. Other than the odd jibe mainly from classmates back then and of course Pricey, i saw or heard nowt.

Now, at school you could put this down to some senior staff being similarly afflicted.

But at wath ru you'd expect some comment....

As chris w suggested yesterday, the rugby demographic of league appears to be with a few exceptions, working to lower middle class.

Union is working class to aristocracy.

We in league have never appeared willing or able to expand that demographic.

I find colins suggestion of class distinction twixt union/league absurd in 2019.

That said, my lad yesterday when discussing this very topic strongly asserted that half the current union squad progressed through public schools. I knowvthe history here but I guess union is played much more at public schools who have time and resources at their disposal that it shouldn't be a surprise.

Come the revolution eh??

13 hours ago, RobLambert said:

That said, I think it is a better game / spectacle than it used to be back in the 80's when I used to watch it for a laugh.  Doctors, lawyers and headteachers playing with a letter rather than a number on their shirt. 

Its almost unrecognizable from the game i grew up with. Made so by the professionalisation of the sport and as MRN suggests, the recruitment of Phil Larder and many other from league to improve conditioning, technique, speed etc. 

League is way ahead as my favourite sport.... but i like union too....

On 03/11/2019 at 10:22, Robin Evans said:

Its almost unrecognizable from the game i grew up with. Made so by the professionalisation of the sport and as MRN suggests, the recruitment of Phil Larder and many other from league to improve conditioning, technique, speed etc. 

League is way ahead as my favourite sport.... but i like union too....

Like you,League is my preference but I also enjoy Union.

However that is a cardinal sin for some posters on the general forum.

I thought the England-NZ game was good entertainment and the Japanese were very enjoyable to watch, but the South African tactics are more for the purists. The game would be better if they introduced a rule which is now obsolete in RL - The differential penalty for technical offences.

I found the BBC Breakfast visit to Sarries local school last week funny , claiming Farrell and indeed Ford as ' products ' despite neither spending more than one year at the school , also pointing out it was a ' comprehensive ' , even though they have boarders there and they have training every morning at 7 am under the control of their ' director of Rugby ' , I don't recall that at Westleigh High 

Archived