Championship odds

Batley Bob

Realistic from a bookie's point of view but, really, they could offer 100/1 against more than half of those team with almost zero chance of paying out. Unlike last year (and the one before) there is no obvious banker for winning the thing.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Strange a club with no home just released from special measures with no idea how many fans are going to turn up are 25/1 ?

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

7 minutes ago, fredm said:

They have sold over 750 season tickets already!

That's a few short of the  +10k they used to get!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

43 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

Strange a club with no home just released from special measures with no idea how many fans are going to turn up are 25/1 ?

Do you think that they are twice as likely to win the league as Batley? Both could be 100/1 and the bookies would lose no sleep.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

41 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Do you think that they are twice as likely to win the league as Batley? Both could be 100/1 and the bookies would lose no sleep.

Nah, gambling's a mugs game I couldn't care less what odds are given. Now the national lottery there's a game changer... what if someone put a million quid on Oldham and shipped in the canbera team cost them a few quid but would get 100 million in return....

8 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

Nah, gambling's a mugs game I couldn't care less what odds are given. Now the national lottery there's a game changer... what if someone put a million quid on Oldham and shipped in the canbera team cost them a few quid but would get 100 million in return....

They'd lose their £1m.....

Betfred also have markets for opening games and the Bash - Batley 10 start v Fev and give Dewbury 2 start.

Sky season market similar + have odds for top 5 finish

Team Grand Final   Regular Season     Top 5
Featherstone       3/1             10/3     1/3
London Broncos       3/1            11/4     2/7
Leigh       7/2              4/1     2/5
Toulouse       7/2              7/2     4/11
York                            8/1            10/1     1/1
Bradford     25/1            25/1     3/1
Halifax         25/1            20/1     9/4
Sheffield     25/1            20/1     9/4
Widnes     25/1            16/1     7/4
Batley     33/1            25/1     3/1
Dewsbury     50/1            50/1   11/2
Swinton     50/1            40/1     9/2
Oldham   100/1            66/1     7/1
Whitehaven    100/1          100/1      8/1

43 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

I fully agree with your first statement. No bookmaker would take a £1M bet, however; £100 more like.

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Betfred also have markets for opening games and the Bash - Batley 10 start v Fev and give Dewbury 2 start.

Sky season market similar + have odds for top 5 finish

Team Grand Final   Regular Season     Top 5
Featherstone       3/1             10/3     1/3
London Broncos       3/1            11/4     2/7
Leigh       7/2              4/1     2/5
Toulouse       7/2              7/2     4/11
York                            8/1            10/1     1/1
Bradford     25/1            25/1     3/1
Halifax         25/1            20/1     9/4
Sheffield     25/1            20/1     9/4
Widnes     25/1            16/1     7/4
Batley     33/1            25/1     3/1
Dewsbury     50/1            50/1   11/2
Swinton     50/1            40/1     9/2
Oldham   100/1            66/1     7/1
Whitehaven    100/1          100/1      8/1

With Batley and below,they are not giving much away on a top 5 finish.It certainly won't encourage me to bet.Obvious outsiders should be much better odds

I would bet that with the massive, astute signing of Shaun Lunt Batley's season's expectations have just risen. The whole tesm will be gee'd up by this and will want to respond.

13 hours ago, phildog said:

I would bet that with the massive, astute signing of Shaun Lunt Batley's season's expectations have just risen. The whole tesm will be gee'd up by this and will want to respond.

Top 5 then?

13 hours ago, phildog said:

Oviously Lunt is a great signing.Can one man change Batley into serious top 5 contenders? I have my doubts.As much as I would like it to be.

1 hour ago, gittinsfan said:

Oviously Lunt is a great signing.Can one man change Batley into serious top 5 contenders? I have my doubts.As much as I would like it to be.

I am as pleased as anyone that Lunt has signed, it was a major signing for our club. However, we still need to be realistic I feel. He will hopefully add something to us on the field, as well as developing Leak. He will also add that leadership to the team that I think we were lacking. I would also hope that it might persuade a couple of loanees to join us for the season. 

I don't think we will suddenly become top 5 contenders, but he might provide that something extra to help us look up to the next couple of teams in the league, rather than down at the strugglers.

Not that anyone has suggested top 5 is realistic on our side of the valley, only a very clearly bored BSJ who seems to be more inspired by our recruitment that that of his own club.

2 hours ago, distantdog said:

I am as pleased as anyone that Lunt has signed, it was a major signing for our club. However, we still need to be realistic I feel. He will hopefully add something to us on the field, as well as developing Leak. He will also add that leadership to the team that I think we were lacking. I would also hope that it might persuade a couple of loanees to join us for the season. 

I don't think we will suddenly become top 5 contenders, but he might provide that something extra to help us look up to the next couple of teams in the league, rather than down at the strugglers.

Not that anyone has suggested top 5 is realistic on our side of the valley, only a very clearly bored BSJ who seems to be more inspired by our recruitment that that of his own club.

Totally agree with you.Though I sometimes think that BSJ is only interested in trying to wind up PM.He occasionally gets a bite.

3 hours ago, distantdog said:

Clearly bored is spot on. I expect that to change shortly, however.

?

23 minutes ago, Bi11 said:

Off gawping at exotic sparrows again?

Could be.  

On 23/11/2019 at 11:31, Piggy's mate said:

I'll bet that don't happen ?

On 23/11/2019 at 13:48, gittinsfan said:

With Batley and below,they are not giving much away on a top 5 finish.It certainly won't encourage me to bet.Obvious outsiders should be much better odds

Ain't a ball been kicked yet

Pie in the sky figures.. There's 5 teams that could win it, the rest no chance. 

There's 5 teams that could get relegated... 2 of them will

The rest will be the also rans

Did I mention top 5? Simply saying that we may not be the rubbing rags thatvtge odds suggest. I repeat what I've said previously, there's a new attitude within the club and we won't be surrendering this time. Can 1 man make such a difference? Highly unlikely, but back him up with 1 more experienced signing....Lunty, fetch Keinhorst over and Linners/Rhino, pull another out off the bag.

Archived