Utah - Samoa v Tonga

Omott91

18 hours ago, aj1908 said:

I don't think the nrl makes a lot of profit from.international rugby league 

The articles I saw were about concerns about insurance and worrying about getting paid 

Why is playing a test in Denver a good idea with no league.there?

Why not play it on the moon 

Im sure argyle would've loved to have the game in Toronto 

Maybe the rfl could've thought Denver is a dumb idea lets try Toronto 

But no they got seduced by the large cash offer from.the promoter 

Well someone is making money from the tv rights and it ain't Tongan, Fijian or  Samoan RL.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Taniwha Warriors said:

Well someone is making money from the tv rights and it ain't Tongan, Fijian or  Samoan RL.

For test matches ? The revenue wouldn't be a lot.  Games get around one million on nine and 300k on Foxtel 

They are basically filler for.tv stations during origin when club games aren't on

Arlc pays each kangaroo I think 40k a game so it's not.cheap

17 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

For test matches ? The revenue wouldn't be a lot.  Games get around one million on nine and 300k on Foxtel 

They are basically filler for.tv stations during origin when club games aren't on

Arlc pays each kangaroo I think 40k a game so it's not.cheap

Anything over a million on FTA in Australia is consider a success in tv ratings terms. There are sports with way less audience than the Pacific rugby league internationals who's getting more than they deserved. Maybe the NRL are pushing for this so they can add internationals to the next broadcaster deals along with the Premiership and Origins.

35 minutes ago, Taniwha Warriors said:

Anything over a million on FTA in Australia is consider a success in tv ratings terms. There are sports with way less audience than the Pacific rugby league internationals who's getting more than they deserved. Maybe the NRL are pushing for this so they can add internationals to the next broadcaster deals along with the Premiership and Origins.

They are already part of the tv deal.now.  maybe it will pay off down the track.  A test gets a bit better than a normal Friday game 

Women's origin got the same kind of ratings as nz vs oz test 

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Oh so now you are going down the route of saying the official crowd figure is a lie. Discussions get kind of pointless if you are going to ignore cold, hard facts.

I am not saying it was a lie, I am saying it looked inflated, it would not be the first time you know.

You can believe what you wish Damien it does not really matter at the end of the day.

Denver was a disaster.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

3 hours ago, Taniwha Warriors said:

The NRL bundle it up and sell the Pacific Tests as part of their rights. They also sell all the sponsorships, advertisements etc.

43 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

oh you mean the ground signage. yeh the ARLC will be banking in millions off those with the massive crowds they get to these games.

No need to be flippant. You asked a question, trying to be smart, and got an answer. The value is irrelevant, it is still income for the NRL.

What was your previous user name by the way?

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

No need to be flippant. You asked a question, trying to be smart, and got an answer. The value is irrelevant, it is still income for the NRL.

What was your previous user name by the way?

i think you missed my point sorry.

my aka was neimad

11 hours ago, Allora said:

The official crowd figure was 19,320. It did not look anywhere near that.

The Stadium was 75% empty based on that crowd figure.

It was not a success by any measure.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12247233

The New Zealand Rugby League has written off debts of more than $300,000 related to the controversial Denver test in June 2018.

A few people in Denver mentioned free tickets being given away at a BBQ festival the week before the game. Ticket prices were also cut substantially/2 for 1 the week of the game.

Whether they got 19k in or not, I don’t think many would consider it a real success. Most of the issues seemed to be with the promoter, though. They were expecting to sell 30k at certain prices and weren’t able to hit their target, which lead to non-payment and ultimately the promotion company folding.

On the topic of this thread, I do think Tonga in SLC can be marketed with ease and with the right people it should be a success. If it goes ahead they should work with the University of Utah and especially BYU to get the word out to their football fans.

Selling Tonga v Samoa in Utah is easier than New Zealand v England in Denver.    Firstly, one in every four Tongan's in the US lives in Utah, with the number of 'Tongan-Americans' over 15,000.   You then have a similar number of Samoans with one in seven Samoan-Americans also living in Utah.

So you have a sizeable community which has a direct association to the two teams playing right from the start, something the Denver match didn't have, before you start targeting just curious locals / etc.

For me, so long as the right guarantees are put in place, I hope the match comes off.  Tonga is helping the International game grow at an accelerated rate, and the opportunity to travel to the US in the off-season will appeal to a number of their players, which again helps build combinations, gets more players committing to Tonga versus says Australia or New Zealand, and just keeps the team playing regularly.

Throw in, Tonga v Samoa is an amazing rivalry and one that we should be trying to play as often as possible.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

5 minutes ago, westside said:

There are more Tongans abroad than in the islands and they can make more at modern stadiums in places like Auckland, Sydney, the US etc.

Auckland is also ok.  Us is dumb even if there are Tongans they won't follow nrl. 

I think you’d be surprised by how many would have seen at least some of Tonga’s recent success on social media. 

But even if they haven’t, that’s the point of taking games to new audiences. It’s hard to see the drawbacks of a team from a country with a small population helping to expand RL in a huge market while reaching an untapped part of their community abroad.  

It’s a win-win for Tongan RL and the sport as a whole.

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

That isn’t the point. The point is to grow interest in the Tongan and Samoan national teams. 

In a country where league is basically nothing ?  I think its dumb.  Maybe if the world cup was still going there.  It's not union it's a struggle to sell these tests 

1 minute ago, aj1908 said:

In a country where league is basically nothing ?  I think its dumb.  Maybe if the world cup was still going there.  It's not union it's a struggle to sell these tests 

Erm yes. Can’t you see the value in getting the US Tongan and Samoan communities interested in Rugby League?

Where are you from by the way, if you don’t mind me asking

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Erm yes. Can’t you see the value in getting the US Tongan and Samoan communities interested in Rugby League?

Where are you from by the way, if you don’t mind me asking

No I can't see the value.  Even if they get 15k show up then what? 

Toronto would have a benefit.  

Me I'm.from Leigh can't you tell ? Lol I love the wolfpack 

Archived