Salford’s Grand Final Legacy

TheDuke

40 minutes ago, North but south said:

The Trafford centre is the other side of the ship canal and over a mile walk. Yes there is supposedly a shuttle bus that runs on match days but I've never seen it.

Driving isn't the issue as it's located just off the m60, but public transport is poor. You have two buses the 67and the 100.

I personally think the marketing done by Salford for the new season is good, the video board at the start of the m602 would have been seen by lots of people.

Taking both of those into consideration 5000 people waiting waiting for a bus that holds 40 people every 30 mins is poor. Whilst if they came from Cadishead they could get the train from glazebrook or irlam to deansgate and hope on the metro to Salford quays.

But what about expanding the fan base, which should be the aim of every club. Altrinham could jump on the metro straight to Salford quays. Someone from Manchester city centre Salford Quays is easier to get to.

A better solution than building a new stadium would be extending the metro from eccles past the aj bell to warrington, via birchwood. But at the moment the aj bell location isn't great for public transport. 

Not blowing my own trumpet but I travel from London to watch games and honestly don’t have much of a problem considering. Anyone from the local area (other than those with mobility issues) complaining that the location is a barrier to attending games are just using it as an excuse not to attend for other reasons.

Yes transport links could be better but they are not the main reason for the low crowds - decades of poor performance are. Lets see what a bit of success and a more optimistic outlook, coupled with better marketing (within budget), can do.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, North but south said:

The Trafford centre is the other side of the ship canal and over a mile walk. Yes there is supposedly a shuttle bus that runs on match days but I've never seen it.

Driving isn't the issue as it's located just off the m60, but public transport is poor. You have two buses the 67and the 100.

I personally think the marketing done by Salford for the new season is good, the video board at the start of the m602 would have been seen by lots of people.

Taking both of those into consideration 5000 people waiting waiting for a bus that holds 40 people every 30 mins is poor. Whilst if they came from Cadishead they could get the train from glazebrook or irlam to deansgate and hope on the metro to Salford quays.

But what about expanding the fan base, which should be the aim of every club. Altrinham could jump on the metro straight to Salford quays. Someone from Manchester city centre Salford Quays is easier to get to.

A better solution than building a new stadium would be extending the metro from eccles past the aj bell to warrington, via birchwood. But at the moment the aj bell location isn't great for public transport. 

You really are talking from your derrier!

A mile walk?   Unless you have mobility issues, that is a 10-15 min walk! How many stadia have safe, secure, FREE parking 15 min walk away?

I am not about to say public transport is great, but the 67 bus is every 15 mins and the 100 is every 30.  Both are double deck buses - so that is at least 6 per hour, carrying 80 people each.

Why make up such rubbish when you  can check the timetable online?

If the busses where packed, you might also think a (private company ( Go North WEST, these days) wanting to make a profit) would lay on extra busses as required. 

Salford Quays is some of the most expensive real estate in Gtr Manchester, so where do you suggest plonking a stadium and who do you think would pay for it?  Peel and Salford Council  already own one, Salford Reds nor even Sale Sharks have the £100m+ to build a stadium in the quays.

(BTW: much as you think it simple and quick - the train from Irlam to  Deansgate is 25 - 35 minutes and the tram from there to Salford Quays is 30-45 minutes.!  assuming the connections work, "just jump on"" and you will be there in about 1 and half hours. - I am not saying that is a long journey time for many fans - just pointing out that while you portray it as a quick stop on public transport  it isn't!) 

"A better solution than building a new stadium would be extending the metro from eccles past the aj bell to warrington, via birchwood. But at the moment the aj bell location isn't great for public transport. " 

Have you actually been to Manchester or the AJ Bell?  The tram line is in the process of being extended to the Trafford Centre ( opening early 2020 - a 15 min walk ( I know you think that is an issue)) and the plans are all ready in place to extend that to Port Salford ( AJ Bell).  So much so, that the recent canal bridge was designed to allow for a tram track. 

Why on earth do you think they would extend the track from Eccles to the stadium, when the line to the TC is just about complete, with  the route and land acquired to extend it?

Why peddle this nonsense on a public forum?

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

The legacy seems to be they have money to upgrade their squad by bringing in some quality. Looking forward to see how they go. 

They have recruited well steady and hard working players but could do with a Hastings level player or two as well.

santa.PNG.7f76844a3ef1defb74b9bdddbf28e5a3.PNG

But the World is RED!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 24/12/2019 at 10:04, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Back to the OP have Salford made any announcement about season tickets?

If they aren’t considerably up on the back of their Grand Final appearance at Old Trafford they only have themselves to blame.

Why?

44 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do you also think there’s no excuse for Sheffield Eagles not to match Utd and Wednesday’s crowds?

Salford and Sale are both top flight and share a stadium... Not quite the same with Sheffield is it? 

You enjoyed your post turkey drink old boy? Good to let loose now and again isnt it? ?

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Salford and Sale are both top flight and share a stadium... Not quite the same with Sheffield is it? 

You enjoyed your post turkey drink old boy? Good to let loose now and again isnt it? ?

Different sports though. 

13 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yes they are Edward! 

Mate I enjoy reading a lot of what you have to say and I wasn’t trying to be pedantic, I just don’t see how you can say there’s no excuse for Salford’s crowds being smaller than Sale’s. They’re different sports from clubs with different histories, fan demographics and media exposure, so it doesn’t seem reasonable to me to compare the two and use it as a stick to beat Salford with - I’m sure they’d love bigger crowds but it must be very difficult for them in a working class sport with Man Utd on the doorstep. I imagine Sale have a very different fan base. 

42 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Mate I enjoy reading a lot of what you have to say and I wasn’t trying to be pedantic, I just don’t see how you can say there’s no excuse for Salford’s crowds being smaller than Sale’s. They’re different sports from clubs with different histories, fan demographics and media exposure, so it doesn’t seem reasonable to me to compare the two and use it as a stick to beat Salford with - I’m sure they’d love bigger crowds but it must be very difficult for them in a working class sport with Man Utd on the doorstep. I imagine Sale have a very different fan base. 

No worries mate, even if you were being pedantic this is the right place for it!

Sale definitely have a different support base. Have met a few of their fans before when they've been down to Franklin gardens..... 'respect the kicker' types like most union fans....not bad people just boring

I definitely prefer Salford's fans though some of them got fighty in Ealing this year. Guess the only other fans to cause trouble down here last season? 

I suspect Sale have a much bigger budget to market themselves

28 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

And a much larger market based on: not much related competition, amount of disposable income, turning up to the opening of an envelope dressed up as an event and lastly media coverage that gives credence and openings to sponsors.

28 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yep all of that

image.png.ad3f7c6387b798a412997c31ff64ee27.png

But the World is Red!  The legacy is clearly ongoing at Salford the difference being it has two wings now the impetus of the GF and all the hard yards being done behind the scenes, year on year.

Salford's problem is location. They are on the West of the Salford/Manchester city region and at a stadium that is on one of the busiest motorway junctions in the country.

Assuming most of teh existing support comes from Eccles/Salford to grow, they need to draw from south Manchester (Sale, Altrincham, Didsbury etc) or east Manchester  (Ardwick, Longsight, Man City ground area etc). They cannot really go further west as within a few miles they are well into Warrington, Saints, Wigan & Leigh terrority.

Looking at the demographics of their target market. South manchester is full of students, young professionals and out in Altrincham/Hale wealthly professionals. Students won't commit to go every week. The Altrincham/Hale residents may go if on corporate hospitality but as a rule tend to favour Union having played it at the likes of Manchester Grammar. If they venture out at the weekend to watch a game it would more than likely be Sale.

In the East a number of areas have a very Asian influence which as we know does not make up a big proportion of the games fan base. By the time you get over further east you are looking at a fair old trip to get to the AJ Bell by car or tram and tbh it is probably just not worth the effort.

The final thing is the branding. You need to appeal to people of Manchester as a whole while for understandable tradition refusing to use the Manchester name. Like it or not, outsiders do not see much difference between Manchester and Salford. They see it as one blob on a map. Having lived and played in Eccles I fully undertsand the issue re the name and the city of Salford. However these days for business purposes, and the way the game is going  I would think they need to go out on a limb and consider some rebranding. Which has the most marketing pull to outsiders -  Toronto/London v Salford  or Toronto v Manchester Red Devils.  

With the Trafford centre link Salford's best bet might be to play all games on a Sat or Sunday after k.o 2.30 or so. Appeal to streotypes such as "leave the missus happily shopping" and you might pull some in. I would certainly use it as an excuse to get away from the hell hole that is the TC    

Anway good luck to them this year. I hope last year was not a blip and that they have another successful season 

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

No worries mate, even if you were being pedantic this is the right place for it!

Sale definitely have a different support base. Have met a few of their fans before when they've been down to Franklin gardens..... 'respect the kicker' types like most union fans....not bad people just boring

I definitely prefer Salford's fans though some of them got fighty in Ealing this year. Guess the only other fans to cause trouble down here last season? 

Plus the national media report on club RU a lot, while barely mentioning RL, even though their club game is barely any bigger than ours. Must help Sale’s crowds compared to Salford’s  

Archived