Prince Harry to stay on as RFL patron

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

Out of genuine interest.... is anyone really that bothered who is patron or if we even have a patron in RL?

Is it just me that's so indifferent to this?

Tbf I'm not too far from that opinion. I think its a role that can have zero value (as having the Queen for the entirety of my lifetime has been), but with the right patron can be massively influential.

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

Out of genuine interest.... is anyone really that bothered who is patron or if we even have a patron in RL?

I think it’s important for prestige that the World Cup trophy is handed to the victors by a senior royal.

7 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Out of genuine interest.... is anyone really that bothered who is patron or if we even have/need a patron in RL?

Whilst we remain a country with close to 80% support for the Royal Family *and* a country utterly in thrall to a very narrow establishment, then I think we need one just to say we have one.

It's all part of the wider forelock tugging game that, unfortunately, is going to continue and which failure to play will be another reason to ignore RL by some.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, fighting irish said:

Why? I spoke from a purely RL point of view.

There are two places on the forum people want to send stuff that they don't want to hear, have a guess what they are?

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

I think it’s important for prestige that the World Cup trophy is handed to the victors by a senior royal.

1) Getting a Senior Royal would be an achievement for RL in the first place.

2) Getting whoever it ends up being to turn up for the matches will be a miracle!

3) So ask yourself who is 489th in line to the throne and place your money in BetFreds on them being picked.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Just now, Oxford said:

There are two places on the forum people want to send stuff that they don't want to hear, have a guess what they are?

1) Getting a Senior Royal would be an achievement for RL in the first place.

2) Getting whoever it ends up being to turn up for the matches will be a miracle!

3) So ask yourself who is 489th in line to the throne and place your money in BetFreds on them being picked.

Nah. Harry is a senior royal. Or was!

8 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Why? I spoke from a purely RL point of view.

It might have political connotations (to you) but someone suggested we ''accept'' him as a patron.

The other connotation is the performance of Robert Elstone. Which is also a RL issue.

I'm more than slightly irked that he might be paid severance when he's relinquished his role before the end of the term of his contract. There is some cynicism in the comment, I'll grant you, it's directed at the SL, who would pay him severance if he walked away.

I assume, (the implication is) he's been ''asked'' to resign. Whatever, its embarrassing.

Now I'm not suggesting (really)  that the RFL would have to pay severance to the old duffer if he dies, but it is a comment about my belief that the value of having him as a royal patron is roughly equivalent to the nett value of RE.

You do the sums. 

Thanks for the excuses.  The actuality is this:

You wrote, "I don't want him, especially if we have to give the queen severance pay when he crokes!!!! Paying off two wet lettuces in the same year would be too much to bear. "

In response to Johnoco, "Actually I’ve just read it looks like he’s gonna croak it, so maybe that wasn’t in the best taste."

You replied, "I knew that, before I said it."

Thus, in bad taste and on the wrong forum, so delete it or move it.

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

You wrote, "I don't want him, especially if we have to give the queen severance pay when he crokes!!!! Paying off two wet lettuces in the same year would be too much to bear. "

In response to Johnoco, "Actually I’ve just read it looks like he’s gonna croak it, so maybe that wasn’t in the best taste."

Your not a moderator.  Just press report and let John or Craig make a call and relieve you of your judgemental posts. It's easy and saves on derailment. 

Glad to be of help

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Nah. Harry is a senior royal. Or was!

He is not a senior at present but his talks with the family meant he kept some things but dumped RL.

And he did this during a pandemic and with a crucial RLWC at the end of the year.

Make of that what you will.

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Thus, in bad taste and on the wrong forum, so delete it or move it

Hardly he's earned every bit of stuff over the years and there's absolutely no need to change a thing. Getting all miserable and/or moral because he's ill would be the height of hypocicy.

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Just press report

To be honest that report button for something you don't like or disagree with is a misuse of the button.

In my opinion, a Patron ( Royal if necessary but not mandatory) would be an active figurehead who would take our game to places where there is ignorance accidental or deliberate. legitimising us in those places. In addition  he or she would be a campaign figurehead.  eg for the World Cup pre, during and after, adding a veneer of legitimacy to the event. 

Not replacing the project director of course, 

Various off topic posts removed.

If you want to discuss the role of RFL Patron and who it should be, do it here.

If you want to discuss any other matter pertaining to Royalty, do it in AOB (for general comments) or the politics forum (should we keep or get rid of them, etc).

In my opinion, a Patron ( Royal if necessary but not mandatory) would be an active figurehead who would take our game to places where there is ignorance accidental or deliberate.

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

If you want to discuss any other matter pertaining to Royalty, do it in AOB (for general comments) or the politics forum (should we keep or get rid of them, etc).

3 minutes ago, Oxford said:

To be honest that report button for something you don't like or disagree with is a misuse of the button.

I'm sorry (for you) that you are offended by my comments but I knew somebody would be, before I said it.

I'm even sorrier that you see my fairly detailed explanation as mere ''excuses'' (implying some insincerity) when I've been completely honest.

What do you think I ''owe'' Prince Phillip that would make me pay him special attention just because statistically, he's near the end of his life?

In my estimation, there's no value in having him associated with our game.

Even more, I think his patronage might even be damaging.

In your world, am I not entitled to say that? 

8 minutes ago, John Drake said:

5 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I'm sorry (for you) that you are offended by my comments but I knew somebody would be, before I said it.

I'm even sorrier that you see my fairly detailed explanation as mere ''excuses'' (implying some insincerity) when I've been completely honest.

What do you think I ''owe'' Prince Phillip that would make me pay him special attention just because statistically, he's near the end of his life?

In my estimation, there's no value in having him associated with our game.

Even more, I think his patronage might even be damaging.

In your world, am I not entitled to say that? 

John, my comments (above) were directed to the original poster in our personal thread, not to you.

I have to say though, I'm disappointed you have chosen to remove the comments.

Archived