Yay, I can move house.

• Like 1

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

I reckon this is apolitical, but if not , please move it.

Really interesting long article in the New York Times sent to me by a French scientist contact whose only weakness is a liking for Man U. 

When diagnosing the ills afflicting modern science, an entertainment that, along with the disparagement of his critics and fellow researchers, he counts among his great delights, the eminent French microbiologist Didier Raoult will lightly stroke his beard, lean back in his seat and, with a thin but ....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/12/magazine/didier-raoult-hydroxychloroquine.html

He seems like a guy who loves to shout 'it's common sense'....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

The French love him, it seems. 

Four legs good - two legs bad

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Yay, I can move house.

I got new neighbours 3 weeks ago (they're also likely to push someone who was uming and ahing about moving into doing so once lockdown is done with!). I assume it was never an issue as long as the people behind the scenes were still working?

Edited by andyscoot

Here’s one for you.

End of March/early April I was sick with what I considered to be C19 (virtually all the symptoms but without test, impossible to say) I wasn’t right for about 3 weeks after that and lost my taste and smell. The thing is, I seem to have developed an ability to eat very spicy food without knowing it. Example, I had a pizza at work the other night that is very hot (hot shot....clues in the name) and it only struck me when talking about stuff the other night that I ate it without barely a flicker. I’ve had the same pizza before and struggled with the spice. 

Just sayin....

18 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Here’s one for you.

End of March/early April I was sick with what I considered to be C19 (virtually all the symptoms but without test, impossible to say) I wasn’t right for about 3 weeks after that and lost my taste and smell. The thing is, I seem to have developed an ability to eat very spicy food without knowing it. Example, I had a pizza at work the other night that is very hot (hot shot....clues in the name) and it only struck me when talking about stuff the other night that I ate it without barely a flicker. I’ve had the same pizza before and struggled with the spice. 

Just sayin....

Did you notice it the following morning?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Did you notice it the following morning?

Not at all. It was only the other night while eating a curry that my Mrs said ‘this is hot’ that I realised I was barely registering any heat. I wasn’t a total spice wuss before but might struggle with a vindaloo for example. It will probably be temporary 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Not at all. It was only the other night while eating a curry that my Mrs said ‘this is hot’ that I realised I was barely registering any heat. I wasn’t a total spice wuss before but might struggle with a vindaloo for example. It will probably be temporary 

Could be a good way to check if you've had it until a quick antibody test comes along. "Just take a bite of this Carolina Reaper Mr Sidestep..." ?

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Haha 2

One thing (of many) things I did not know was that men are more ACE2 receptors than women. That might explain the great suseptability to the disease.

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

5 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Looks like the summer's here - ice cream man's round...

Started last week in our street

It's been reported in a few places that Covid-19 is often accompanied by a loss of smell and taste, which seems to be temporary. So I'd say that Johnoco has almost certainly had a brush with the virus.

Just now, Spidey said:

Started last week in our street

Having had summer jobs as an ice cream man, a van is one of the last places I'd consider getting anything edible from normally, never mind in the current situation.

Not sure if this has been posted here already, but if not a reminder can't do any harm. If you have a reasonably powerful computer and are willing to use some of its processing power to help model proteins, currently focusing on SARS-CoV-2, then you might consider joining Stanford University's Folding@home project:

https://foldingathome.org/start-folding/

It works in the background on idle processors so won't affect any work that you're doing.

11 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

One thing (of many) things I did not know was that men are more ACE2 receptors than women. That might explain the great suseptability to the disease.

Any idea if that was the case for SARS too?

3 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Any idea if that was the case for SARS too?

Yes. It is.

• Thanks 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Some local info for those living up that way

• Like 2

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

Goes and googles ACE2 receptors..... It does certainly seem like a possible reason given the nature of the virus.

56 minutes ago, ckn said:

Some local info for those living up that way

It's all very localised.  St Helens has been covid death free for three days (and we were tested case free the day before yesterday although apparently there were six new cases in the last 24 hours) but Wigan and Warrington both have had around four deaths each in the last 24 hours.  

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Here’s one for you.

Just sayin....

You sir have just become a superhero spice man we salute you. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Having had summer jobs as an ice cream man, a van is one of the last places I'd consider getting anything edible from normally, never mind in the current situation.

Them old commer mr softee vans were a pig to drive,and red hot with ford pop engine in the back running on tvo,I had 2 whippy vans in the 80s 90s in hemsworth ackworth area,The modern soft van picks up the air from the outside vent just under the serving area were customers are stood on most vans,so goes direct to the capigani machine and then in turn end up in the fluffy 99.i dare say an hard van would be ok if the vendor cleans everything regular away, But defo beware any soft fluffy stuff.

Edited by silverback

3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

time to tell the kids- "when the ice cream man is playing those tunes it means the van is empty "

• Like 2

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

4 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

He doesn't have a week off all year round, on my estate

6 hours ago, Johnoco said:

My son had several of the symptoms of Covid 19 a few weeks back. Complete loss of sense of taste and smell being one of them. His girlfriend thought it would be a great test if he ate a teaspoon of Colman's English Mustard in one go. It never touched him.

In his case it was definitely temporary and his sense of taste and smell returned to normal fairly quickly.

• Thanks 2

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley