Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I’d really like to see another NZ team, creating a new rivalry and helping to strengthen the domestic game there. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eddie said:

I’d really like to see another NZ team, creating a new rivalry and helping to strengthen the domestic game there. 

Yes especially with the weakness in super rugby league can make massive inroads in New Zealand 

Edited by aj1908
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cdd said:

Absolute disaster if Perth misses out. When will they ever actually become a “National” Rugby League? 

Auckland says hi 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news another Pro team. Would like another NZ or PI team though. Wouldn’t bother with a 30k stadium 15-20k would be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Bert1 said:

Good news another Pro team. Would like another NZ or PI team though. Wouldn’t bother with a 30k stadium 15-20k would be fine.

A team in Tonga would be superb but presumably wouldn’t be a money spinner. If there was a PI league with the same kudos as the Queensland and NSW Cups it would be good though, teams from Samoa, Fiji, PNG and Tonga - could really take over from Union in those countries.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Eddie said:

A team in Tonga would be superb but presumably wouldn’t be a money spinner. If there was a PI league with the same kudos as the Queensland and NSW Cups it would be good though, teams from Samoa, Fiji, PNG and Tonga - could really take over from Union in those countries.  

It will.never happen but a pi nrl team made up of Fiji Tonga Samoa and cook islands would be brilliant.  Imagine all the players it would develop 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

It will.never happen but a pi nrl team made up of Fiji Tonga Samoa and cook islands would be brilliant.  Imagine all the players it would develop 

That should be the second NZ team with half the games in South Island, NZW game in Auckland and the rest divided between Fiji, Samoa, Tonga. 

  • Like 1

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

That should be the second NZ team with half the games in South Island, NZW game in Auckland and the rest divided between Fiji, Samoa, Tonga. 

That's a great idea 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aj1908 said:

Canberra fans are complaining Bruce stadium is too far from the CBD hence their poor crowds.  Or a ground at epic would be a bad idea as it's too far 

Same argument here 

Firstly, that's not the argument against a stadium at EPIC at all, nor is that really the complaint against Bruce. Secondly, as a person that probably doesn't really know what EPIC is, let alone the internal politics in Canberra that surround the subject, maybe you should pass on commenting on this subject. 

Also Suncorp is much closer to Brisbane's CBD than Redcliffe...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I’d really like to see another NZ team, creating a new rivalry and helping to strengthen the domestic game there. 

There aren't any NZ bids, so it isn't really an option.

1 hour ago, Bert1 said:

Good news another Pro team. Would like another NZ or PI team though. Wouldn’t bother with a 30k stadium 15-20k would be fine.

Unless you've got someone willing to underwrite the club to the tune of tens of millions of dollars PI teams are a pipe dream, and even if they were feasible no PI team would be as valuable as any of the major capital cities in Australia or NZ.

21 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

That should be the second NZ team with half the games in South Island, NZW game in Auckland and the rest divided between Fiji, Samoa, Tonga. 

Yeah and I'm sure that you'd embrace it if your local club chose to play half of it games in France and Germany...

In trying to appeal to everybody, all you'll achieve is being unappealing to everybody.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

There aren't any NZ bids, so it isn't really an option.

Unless you've got someone willing to underwrite the club to the tune of tens of millions of dollars PI teams are a pipe dream, and even if they were feasible no PI team would be as valuable as any of the major capital cities in Australia or NZ.

Yeah and I'm sure that you'd embrace it if your local club chose to play half of it games in France and Germany...

In trying to appeal to everybody, all you'll achieve is being unappealing to everybody.

That's why the southern orcas bid was planning on playing out of multiple cities rather than just Wellington 

And its funny your arguments that the problem is Bruce isn't the location or epic 

So why not rebuild at Bruce then?

Canberra fans complain about a ground 6 km from town but people think redcliff should be playing games 44 km away 

😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jim_57 said:

If Redcliffe is admitted without expanding their brand in 10 years once the novelty has worn off they'll be a Brisbane version of Manly. An isolated 'suburb' many of whom don't consider themselves as living in Brisbane at all.

Something like: 'Moreton Bay Dolphins' playing 9-10 games at Suncorp with the rest split between Dolphin Oval & Sunshine Coast stadium. Targetting not just Redcliffe but North & East Brisbane, Moreton Bay, Sunshine Coast and up the coast towards Gympie & Bundaberg. That would be a good bid, Redcliffe is not, no matter how big their leagues club is.

A standalone Sunshine Coast club would be a better bid than one based entirely in Redcliffe. A decent South-West (Logan, Ipswich, Towoomba) bid would blow it out of the water.

It'd take generations to separate the Dolphins brand from Redcliffe, and the Dolphins are Morton Bay's version of the successful club that everybody loves to hate, so just changing the name from Redcliffe to Morton Bay wouldn't achieve much anyway.

Realistically their NRL club would need a total re-brand if it wasn't going to be seen as the Dolphins in drag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Great Dane said:

It'd take generations to separate the Dolphins brand from Redcliffe, and the Dolphins are Morton Bay's version of the successful club that everybody loves to hate, so just changing the name from Redcliffe to Morton Bay wouldn't achieve much anyway.

Realistically their NRL club would need a total re-brand if it wasn't going to be seen as the Dolphins in drag.

It will be the dolphins as the moniker.  They made sure gold coast couldn't use it so one day they could if they got to the nrl

And here we are 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aj1908 said:

That's why the southern orcas bid was planning on playing out of multiple cities rather than just Wellington

Uh huh, and where are they now.

Also they were talking about playing the odd game in other cities, just like the Warriors do now, not taking half of their season and splitting it between three third world countries. 

5 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

And its funny your arguments that the problem is Bruce isn't the location or epic 

So why not rebuild at Bruce then?

Canberra fans complain about a ground 6 km from town but people think redcliff should be playing games 44 km away 

The problem with Bruce and EPIC isn't the distance or the time it takes to get to them so much as it is the locations themselves, i.e. the problem isn't that it's 6km from town (barely anybody lives in town so it's actually much further than 6 km for the vast majority of people), it's that Bruce is in the middle of a suburb with no amenities around it and EPIC is the middle of nowhere with even less.

Also as a person that comes from a city where people will regularly complain that it's to far and to hard to attend a game if it's in the next suburb over, and (IIRC) is a Cronulla fan who's memberships and crowds look like they are going to tank because they are temporarily playing in a stadium a couple of suburbs over, you aren't really in a position to talk about lazy fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

It will be the dolphins as the moniker.  They made sure gold coast couldn't use it so one day they could if they got to the nrl

And here we are 

Yep I don't doubt it, but just because it's probably what's going to happen doesn't mean that it's what should happen.

Brisbane 2 could/should be the NRL's version Man City to the Broncos Man Utd, but if the Dolphins get the nod it'll just be Brisbane's version of Manly, which is why it'll probably happen, because it's very NRL, and RL in general frankly, to pass up on an opportunity for greatness to take the what they think is the safe and easy road instead.

Edited by The Great Dane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cdd said:

Absolute disaster if Perth misses out. When will they ever actually become a “National” Rugby League? 

Even if they added a Perth club tomorrow, the NRL still wouldn't really be national without at least an Adelaide club as well.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Copa said:

They’d get a similar turn out for 9s in one of the most rugby league parts of Australia, western Sydney, so I don’t know why the journalists would suggest the turnout in Perth indicates they don’t deserve a team.

Perth sold out all available state of origin tickets almost a year in advance. As more came out later they were bought ASAP.

Sydney and Brisbane can’t do that.

Increasingly the media and particularly the newspapers here are like adult comics.... manipulating news for sensationalism and entertainment.... 

journalistic opinion is barely worth discussing 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Davo5 said:

I can understand a 2nd Brisbane team,but Redcliffe rather than a Perth team really makes no sense.

Perth and Adelaide, Wellington .....? Silly me I got excited!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the NRL leadership had any vision for expanding the game, they would couple a second Brisbane/south Queensland team with one from Perth, followed a few years later by a new team in Wellington New Zealand, and finally a team from Adelaide. That would make the inappropriately named National Rugby League truly both national and international.

Yet such necessary expansion should not be the end of expansion forever. By 2028 the NRL should be seriously considering adding teams from PNG and Fiji, a team from Christchurch, and finally a 24th Australian team either from Queensland or Victoria (depending upon how junior development, business viability, and likely fan support, looks in different areas of those two states). At that point the 24 team  NRL would need to be renamed the South Pacific Rugby League (SPRL).

Edited by Manfred Mann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

If the NRL leadership had any vision for expanding the game, they would couple a second Brisbane/south Queensland team with one from Perth, followed a few years later by a new team in Wellington New Zealand, and finally a team from Adelaide. That would make the inappropriately named National Rugby League truly both national and international.

Yet such necessary expansion should not be the end of expansion forever. By 2028 the NRL should be seriously considering adding teams from PNG and Fiji, a team from Christchurch, and finally a 24th Australian team either from Queensland or Victoria (depending upon how junior development, business viability, and likely fan support, looks in different areas of those two states). At that point the 24 team  NRL would need to be renamed the South Pacific Rugby League (SPRL).

You forgot Tasmania and PNG, why not Alice Springs and Darwin too, and the Pitcairn Islands. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the possible exception of PNG, I highly doubt that the NRL will expand into the PI's before 2050, if they ever expand into them at all.

At the very least I'd put Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Wellington, Christchurch, Melbourne 2, in front of any of the PI's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know Brisbane that well, but it doesn't seem as disparate as say Sydney in terms of local regional identity

A new team could do we based somewhere like Redcliffe (should be able to attract players to a beachside locality) but the majority of games should be at Suncorp (maybe 8 or 12). They could use the other games at smaller grounds further from the CBD like Redcliffe, Ipswich and Sunshine Coast to get a better relationship with fans that might get missed out by the Broncos

Sticking full-time to a locality on the fringe of the city like Ipswich or Redcliffe would alienate potential fans from the other side of the city who would find it too hard to travel - especially when transport is geared to a CBD location like Suncorp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

Yep I don't doubt it, but just because it's probably what's going to happen doesn't mean that it's what should happen.

Brisbane 2 could/should be the NRL's version Man City to the Broncos Man Utd, but if the Dolphins get the nod it'll just be Brisbane's version of Manly, which is why it'll probably happen, because it's very NRL, and RL in general frankly, to pass up on an opportunity for greatness to take the what they think is the safe and easy road instead.

Your right in it will be a regional team which we have loads of 

I think it's too late now for another Brisbane city team.  By adding north and west Brisbane outliers is the best for us 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

If the NRL leadership had any vision for expanding the game, they would couple a second Brisbane/south Queensland team with one from Perth, followed a few years later by a new team in Wellington New Zealand, and finally a team from Adelaide. That would make the inappropriately named National Rugby League truly both national and international.

Yet such necessary expansion should not be the end of expansion forever. By 2028 the NRL should be seriously considering adding teams from PNG and Fiji, a team from Christchurch, and finally a 24th Australian team either from Queensland or Victoria (depending upon how junior development, business viability, and likely fan support, looks in different areas of those two states). At that point the 24 team  NRL would need to be renamed the South Pacific Rugby League (SPRL).

24 teams 

2 conferences 

Play your conference full home and away

Top five finals in each 

Nswrl and arl as the two conferences 

Nswrl gf at at a or anz

Arl gf at Suncorp 

Superbowl to be moved around Australia and nz 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...