Match Thread: Featherstone Rovers v Swinton Sunday 8th March 2020

marklaspalmas

Would you Adam & Eve it? A Home League Game !! Will wonders never cease? Better late than never.

On the back of an outstanding performance last week against highly fancied opposition, it's up to the lads to keep up that form.

It was interesting to see last week that Parata missed out, but Gale kept his place and Carey took a bench spot.

This week Chisholm is available, but Lockwood is now suspended.

I think it would be useful if McLelland and Holroyd continued to be regularly available for us. Sutcliffe is good too, but with Worthington (later Minns), Carey and Hardcastle at centre, would we be better asking for another forward off Leeds? FWIW Josh runs strong and has no problem tackling, but isn't really a second-row (yet).

Main debate will be around the halves and AHB I guess. For me, it has to be McLelland & Chizz at HB which is very tough on Louis. At hooker, Webbo seems to prefer JB to Parata so far, though using both seems a good option.

Thinking about what the team will be rather than how I would personally do it, we could be:

Hall
Blackmore
Sutcliffe
Worthington
Gale/Carey
McLelland
Chisholm
Susino
Parata
Harrison
Ferres
Harcastle
Bussey

Bench: Jouffret, Albert, Cooper, Holroyd

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Parata was injured last week, I don't think Webster prefers Bussey to him, I just think he likes to start with Bussey then bring Parata on.

Agree with your line-up. There's no way Chisholm and McLelland won't be the half backs unles McLelland is in the Leeds 17. Jouffret is our 3rd half back, he'll get plenty of games in the two Cup competitions and whenever McLelland or Chisholm aren't available.

I'd be happy to see Hardcastle played some more in that edge back row slot especially with Sutcliffe back available. Who you leave out when everyone is back fit I'm not sure but it will be a nice problem for Webster to have.

Interetsing that Gaz Gale got the start over Carey,  think he has more long-term potential than Carey who is very steady.

I've enjoyed listening to Webster's pre-game and  post-game interviews so far, he seems realistic and didn't try to sugar coat the Barrow performance, and it was clear he and the players were nervous before the London game and that seems to have helped spur them on mentally. Webster was talking about the fear factor and I think it's a good point, it has to be easier to be "up" for a game when you are facing potentially strong opponents rather than when you are expetced to win comfortably.

It's a different type of game this week as it's one where we will be strong favourites to win, it will be interesting to see if we can maintain the same mindset as at London.

Yes, the mental side of things is very important. We'd be shocked if two points are not comfortably in the bag on Sunday.

Re. Parata. Are you sure he was injured? That's not the info I had. Either way, with Locky out, could they both (Parata & Bussey) start on Sunday?

Gale over Carey is fair enough, though I'm not sure there's much age difference between them. However, if an Aussie import can't hold down a first team spot, you have to ask.

I have to say, I am a big Josh Hardcastle fan at centre. Moving him for loanees & DRs doesn't feel right.

Have you noticed web site   matchday guide Swinton

"There are plenty of ways to reach the LD Nutrition Stadium ahead of kick-off on Saturday afternoon, regardless of how you're travelling."?

32 minutes ago, POR said:

Have you noticed web site   matchday guide Swinton

"There are plenty of ways to reach the LD Nutrition Stadium ahead of kick-off on Saturday afternoon, regardless of how you're travelling."?

They have obviously just cut and pasted from the Barrow cup game.

I would also be a little cheesed off if I had forked out my brass to be the new stadium sponsors as that has not been amended either!

8 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

They have obviously just cut and pasted from the Barrow cup game.

I would also be a little cheesed off if I had forked out my brass to be the new stadium sponsors as that has not been amended either!

It's still the LD nutrition stadium for the Swinton and Hunslet games. The Leigh home game will be the official launch of the new name.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I think somebody told me this on Sunday, but can't remember who now! So might be wrong.

I was told he wasn't injured. Hence my comments about Bussey over him. Either way it's a healthy situation with five pivots for four spots. It would be interesting to see Jouffret do a stint at 9 to see if he can cope with the tackling in the middle. My suggestion of Bussey at lock and Louis off the bench allows us all five. Bit like Powell did with Heppy/Briggs at 13.

I'd really like to see Ferguson in the mix. I wonder when he'll be ready.

2 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Gale over Carey is fair enough, though I'm not sure there's much age difference between them. However, if an Aussie import can't hold down a first team spot, you have to ask.

Carey is (or was at the turn of the year) 24.

Gale is about 26 IIRC. It's easy to forget that he has plenty of experience under his belt from his years with the Lions.

6 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I think somebody told me this on Sunday, but can't remember who now! So might be wrong.

I was only commenting to my lad on Sunday about what had happened to Maskill, and lo and behold it's been announced he has signed for Bradford. I know he wasn't everyone's cup of tea but he may have been able to do a job for us, especially considering where we are now in the No. 9 department.

6 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

I was told he wasn't injured. Hence my comments about Bussey over him. Either way it's a healthy situation with five pivots for four spots. It would be interesting to see Jouffret do a stint at 9 to see if he can cope with the tackling in the middle. 

If Parata wasn't injured I would hazard a guess that Bussey was preferred at 9 to stiffen up the defence in the middle? Putting Carey on the bench could have been cover for Sutcliffe, who would have moved to 2nd row if the need had arisen?

That selection could have been a one-off because it was London away and we expected their pack to be much stronger than it was on the day? It could be a completely different approach on Sunday and Parata could be back?

2 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

If Parata wasn't injured I would hazard a guess that Bussey was preferred at 9 to stiffen up the defence in the middle? Putting Carey on the bench could have been cover for Sutcliffe, who would have moved to 2nd row if the need had arisen?

That selection could have been a one-off because it was London away and we expected their pack to be much stronger than it was on the day? It could be a completely different approach on Sunday and Parata could be back?

Agreed. 

16 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

don't think leeds would like us playing him in the second row for me it would be gale promoted  to the ha ha to the pack he is a big unit and according to web site 

Josh Hardcastle Position: Centre

Gareth Gale Position: Second-row/Wing

21 hours ago, HAVERCROFT10 said:

Parata injured his foot/ankle v Barrow in 1st half and played on. Plays well above his weight too.

My view he was injured.

Parata was injured. Webster confirmed just before the London game 

56 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

McLelland on the bench for Leeds this evening. Guess we'll have to wait and see how that impacts on his availability for us on Sunday.

I thought he was now disqualified from playing for Fev as you can't play two games over a weekend.

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

I thought he was now disqualified from playing for Fev as you can't play two games over a weekend.

Only if the rule has changed...Used to explicitly state that players weren't restricted to 1 game per game week and  in 2018 Luke Briscoe played for Leeds on a Thursday and Fev three days later.

However I'll wait for Les Tonks' Sidestep's verdict before saying I'm 100% sure... 

1 minute ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Only if the rule has changed...Used to explicitly state that players weren't restricted to 1 game per game week and  in 2018 Luke Briscoe played for Leeds on a Thursday and Fev three days later.

However I'll wait for Les Tonks' Sidestep's verdict before saying I'm 100% sure... 

I havent got SKY so I dont know if hes actually on the pitch. But is the rule that they have to actually take part in the game??? Anyway as good as McLelland is we still have the excellent Joufrett to call upon?

17 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

I havent got SKY so I dont know if hes actually on the pitch. But is the rule that they have to actually take part in the game??? Anyway as good as McLelland is we still have the excellent Joufrett to call upon?

He hasn't taken the field in the first half. Leeds cruising at 36-6, Lui and Gale running rings round Toronto.

Edit: McLelland came on a few minutes into the second half. 

15 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

He hasn't taken the field in the first half. Leeds cruising at 36-6, Lui and Gale running rings round Toronto.

Just listened to Webster on the Swinton preview on Rovers TV say 'we have lost Callum but it's good to have Chizzy back.' Sounds like we will have Joufrett and Chisholm at 6 and 7 then.

Archived