Which player made you stand up in anticipation?

On 26/03/2020 at 10:18, Whippet13 said:

Too many to list over my 38 years of watching RL so I'll just mention the very first one who thrilled me as a kid, Henderson Gill.

As a young kid he was my favourite player too. He was electrifying down the wing and a real crowd pleaser.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm long in the tooth now and the world was larger then . When I was a small boy stood near the ramp at Headingley watching those big Brillcream hair'd giant clump their way down ,there were so many then who we wanted to see . For me in the 50s it was BIlly Boston 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

2 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

I'm long in the tooth now and the world was larger then . When I was a small boy stood near the ramp at Headingley watching those big Brillcream hair'd giant clump their way down ,there were so many then who we wanted to see . For me in the 50s it was BIlly Boston 

Yep.  ' Give it to Billy ' was the chant of the day from the  Central Park  crowd when the games were tight.

Perhaps strangely Sam Tomkins  in his prime had a similar effect  That  tremendous sense of anticipation - which is what this thread is all about

There's lots of good players over the years, but for me not that many that you can feel the anticipation in the crowd when they get the ball.

Former Saints players i'd have to say:- Mal Meninga, Paul Sculthorpe, Shaun Long, Jamie Lyon, Paul Newlove, Mark Elia, Ben Barba

From other clubs:- Ellery Hanley, Martin Offiah, Des Drummond, Henderson Gill, Robbie Paul

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

May be a controversial one but George Burgess in his first few seasons at Souths (2013 & 2014).  He was so explosive with the ball in his hands that you felt he was always going to make a break or scatter defenders (and score more than his fair share of tries).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, ivans82 said:

At Town , Paul Charlton , especially on kick returns , a lot of his tries were from these from deep in his own half .Ian wright  fast and strong . As for other Teams , Martin Offiah all day long .

Charlton is mentioned often in thread.  Certainly a cracking player.

JFormer French half back and five eighth Maxime Greseque. He was a huge success at Featherstone in 2004, and deserved a Super League contract. The chairman of Catalans, Bernard Guasch, wanted to sign Maxime in 2006, but Maxime’s father Ivan, who as a player was a fierce rival with Bernard Guasch for the French half back selection, jealously and selfishly prevented his son from signing with Catalans. Maxime Greseque’s form was a bit uneven, but on his day he was mesmerising. 

Archived