Which player made you stand up in anticipation?

On 22/03/2020 at 12:43, Gooleboy said:

Paul Newlove at 17 years old was unbelievable. He looked like doing something every time he got the ball.

I came onto the thread to mention Paul Newlove as well... he was unstoppable at his best.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For swinton in the 80’s it was Danny Wilson and Green Vigo, both on and off the field you never knew what was coming next! 

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

1 hour ago, Mark said:

For swinton in the 80’s it was Danny Wilson and Green Vigo, both on and off the field you never knew what was coming next! 

A pal of mine played for Featherstone A team on the wing, and in a game against Wigan A team he happened to be up against Vigo who was returning from injury. He told us Vigo made a long run in front of the old Bullock Stand leaving my mate in his wake as he scored. My mate noticed Vigo's boot had come off, so he threw it over the Stand roof and out of the ground, and was promptly sent off!

On 23/03/2020 at 20:01, Willforminis said:

John Wolford

11 hours ago, gavin7094 said:

Dave Barends.

Johnny Wolford and Barry John are two of the three greatest standoffs I have ever seen. However, neither routinely put you on the edge of your seat. They could have had a quet game then suddenly in ten decisive minutes make two devastating breaks as if they had been an afterthought. Their teammates had big celebrations but they always looked like they couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

The third was Iestyn Harris at Leeds. He generally did do something every time he got the ball.

The early Sam Tomkins and Ellery Hanley certainly got you off yur feet but they weren't conventional halfbacks.

I always remember Dave Barends'' 70 yards dash against Leeds in (I think) his first game at Odsal. He had phenomenal pace and, for a little bloke, no fear of tackling big forwards. I met him once a couple of years ago; he's a very nice bloke and stil big friends with Jimmy Thompson.

Odsal has had some very exciting wingers down the years. Any of Lesley Vainikolo, Tevita Vaikona, Phil Ford and (my favourite) Dave Redfearn could get you on your feet. In the opposition, Henderson Gill, Jason Robinson, Darren Albert and Brett Dallas always had you nervous on the terrace.

We've had some fantastic forwards at Odsal but most have been of the type thay put in full-on effort rather than blockbusting running. The best I ever saw at scattering defences for us were Stuart Fielden, Paul Anderson  and Harvey "The Night Train" Howard. For the oppsition it would be Kelvin Skerrett, Gareth Carvell and Nick Fozzard.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

Too many to list over my 38 years of watching RL so I'll just mention the very first one who thrilled me as a kid, Henderson Gill.

Yeah good choice that one, stripling.

I realised that all the players who had me on the edge were not the ones who scored most often but the ones who broke the line or released the next man into space with a deft or beautifully timed pass or something unexpected or unpredictable.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

10 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Johnny Wolford and Barry John are two of the three greatest standoffs I have ever seen. However, neither routinely put you on the edge of your seat. They could have had a quet game then suddenly in ten decisive minutes make two devastating breaks as if they had been an afterthought. Their teammates had big celebrations but they always looked like they couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

The third was Iestyn Harris at Leeds. He generally did do something every time he got the ball.

The early Sam Tomkins and Ellery Hanley certainly got you off yur feet but they weren't conventional halfbacks.

I always remember Dave Barends'' 70 yards dash against Leeds in (I think) his first game at Odsal. He had phenomenal pace and, for a little bloke, no fear of tackling big forwards. I met him once a couple of years ago; he's a very nice bloke and stil big friends with Jimmy Thompson.

Odsal has had some very exciting wingers down the years. Any of Lesley Vainikolo, Tevita Vaikona, Phil Ford and (my favourite) Dave Redfearn could get you on your feet. In the opposition, Henderson Gill, Jason Robinson, Darren Albert and Brett Dallas always had you nervous on the terrace.

We've had some fantastic forwards at Odsal but most have been of the type thay put in full-on effort rather than blockbusting running. The best I ever saw at scattering defences for us were Stuart Fielden, Paul Anderson  and Harvey "The Night Train" Howard. For the oppsition it would be Kelvin Skerrett, Gareth Carvell and Nick Fozzard.

Kevin Ward gets my vote.

It’s hard to not pick a whole list of players but from all my years watching I would say from my own team, Phil Blake—- not sure he got the recognition he deserved but from an attacking aspect, he had pace, guile and never afraid to chip and run— really exciting to watch him turn out for the Wire. My highlight would be at a miserable and wet Wilderspool, seeing him score, if memory serves me right, 5 tries against Salford in 1980 something.

With regards to opposition players, it has to be Offiah for obvious reasons 

33 minutes ago, Bring back the Boyd said:

It’s hard to not pick a whole list of players but from all my years watching I would say from my own team, Phil Blake—- not sure he got the recognition he deserved but from an attacking aspect, he had pace, guile and never afraid to chip and run— really exciting to watch him turn out for the Wire. My highlight would be at a miserable and wet Wilderspool, seeing him score, if memory serves me right, 5 tries against Salford in 1980 something.

With regards to opposition players, it has to be Offiah for obvious reasons 

Anyone remember Green Vigo?

For those in isolation look up Green without Gold on the internet. Good read. A touch of topic I know but a player who can score 7 tries in a game is worthy of note.....

GREENWITHOUTGOLD (1).doc

18 minutes ago, del capo said:

Anyone remember Green Vigo?

For those in isolation look up Green without Gold on the internet. Good read. A touch of topic I know but a player who can score 7 tries in a game is worthy of note.....

GREENWITHOUTGOLD (1).docUnavailable

The link to the source Del Capo is trying to share can be found at: 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/259583279_Green_without_gold_The_Green_Vigo_story

• 2 weeks later...

Young Benji Marshall was certainly one to watch, as was Matty Bowen throughout his entire career. In fact, old Benji is still great to watch - not so much for his freakish individual play, as the really deft ball skills he now has. Some of his passing these days reminds me of Cliff Lyons with Manly in the mid 90s. Lovely to watch!

Seen a fair bit of John Ferguson in the last few days, what with the Beeb's Cup highlights and some YouTube watching. They called him "Chicka", but the way he'd appear out the other side of what seemed like all-avenues-closed gang tackles suggests that "Houdini" would have been more appropriate. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

39 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Seen a fair bit of John Ferguson in the last few days, what with the Beeb's Cup highlights and some YouTube watching. They called him "Chicka", but the way he'd appear out the other side of what seemed like all-avenues-closed gang tackles suggests that "Houdini" would have been more appropriate. 

He was exceptional in my view.  Wasn’t afraid to take the ball up either despite being light.  Iirc his most memorable try, across the line with 3 or 4 steps, bamboozled the defence.  Just one of this blokes you knew were going to step, and which way, but they still got you.

16 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

He was exceptional in my view.  Wasn’t afraid to take the ball up either despite being light.  Iirc his most memorable try, across the line with 3 or 4 steps, bamboozled the defence.  Just one of this blokes you knew were going to step, and which way, but they still got you.

It took Canberra a couple of years to find him, but his replacement wasn't bad either.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, DEANO said:

Graham steadman even if he could only play 3 out of every 4 games in his early careeer

At his peak, he was a nightmare. He had the same sort of lightning reaction and acceleration to even a small a gap that Jiffy had.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived