National Conference History

Hi all

If this season does get completed it will be the 35th of the National League/National Conference and I am looking to write the history of this. I have already collected much information but am struggling with information for certain clubs on their time in the said league. I am missing for information for Greetland All Rounders, Knottingley, British Areospace, and Redhill. I would also like info on Chorley Borough, Blackpool Gladiators, Nottingham City and Hemel Hempstead. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. Cheers Mark Chestney

On 24/03/2020 at 12:48, Mark Chestney said:

Hi all

If this season does get completed it will be the 35th of the National League/National Conference and I am looking to write the history of this. I have already collected much information but am struggling with information for certain clubs on their time in the said league. I am missing for information for Greetland All Rounders, Knottingley, British Areospace, and Redhill. I would also like info on Chorley Borough, Blackpool Gladiators, Nottingham City and Hemel Hempstead. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. Cheers Mark Chestney

In his 2002 autobiography, Memoirs of a Blood and Thunder Coach, Maurice Bamford devotes the best part of two pages to his time coaching Greetland. The village's collective memory of Bamford is that he almost bankrupted All Rounders. Here's why. Bamford says: "Ten good Aussies and Kiwis came to me at Greetland in about four weeks. We were up and running. Local teams who considered Greetland a pushover suddenly came up against a fit, fast and skilful side."

On 24/03/2020 at 12:48, Mark Chestney said:

Hi all

There's a few copies of the 5th anniversary brochure out there in the heartlands.

I have read it, a long time ago, but not seen one for a few years.

Trevor Hunt must have one to lend you if you contact him i think he compiled it?

Some info here, mostly accurate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_National_Conference_League

"There are only 5 functions of Internet FORUMS. . . . . . . . Brag . . Patronise . . Wind-up . . Fawn . . Threaten. . . .  . . . Which one did you perform? "

What sort of info do you want on the clubs you have mentioned Mark? I visited most of them, have programmes involving all of them and played at British Aerospace in a friendly. A friend of mine - Stewart Williams (ex Salford & Barrow) coached Chorley Borough in the first season in the NCL. I am Kenny Roberts by the way if you want to e-mail me. I posted my old National league brochures to you today 1st class.

Edited by Celtic Roosters
add

If you go on Google Earth and type in North Manchester Rugby club I think it shows where British Aerospace used to play. Its just off Victoria Avenue. I can only assume that North Manchester RUFC took over the ground but I could be wrong. The British Aerospace factory is only a few hundred yards away.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

12 hours ago, Big Doug said:

If you go on Google Earth and type in North Manchester Rugby club I think it shows where British Aerospace used to play. Its just off Victoria Avenue. I can only assume that North Manchester RUFC took over the ground but I could be wrong. The British Aerospace factory is only a few hundred yards away.

Big Doug

You’re right to say Manchester RFU is on Victoria Ave, but BAe played there games at the Lancaster club bottom of Broadway. When Oldham MBC bought the land there was a condition that they found the football team a ground. They purchased Chamber Colliery on Whitebank Road and that’s where Oldham RLFC play their League 1 games. Unfortunately it isn’t up to Championship standards 

I vaguely remember playing against British Aerospace  second team around 1990 for a Halifax pub side.I remember they had  fantastic facilities including huge changing rooms.We were used to getting changed in little sheds sometimes with no showers in the Pennine League and then we got treated to a meal which was totally opposite to Museum at nearby Moston where we got a cold Fish sandwich!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/04/2020 at 06:33, Celtic Roosters said:

Martin Ketteridge was a good player. I thought he was a Cas lad? 

He's from Hatfield, Doncaster and played at Moorends as a junior along with Ian Fletcher (Rossington) and Graham Swift who all got signed at the same time, Swifty however damaged his knee and never fulfilled his promise, he went back to the amateur game and played a season or two with Marshland Rangers then at Bridlington.

Ketteridge standing 2nd from right, Swift standing 3rd from right Fletcher standing 4th from right, lad holding the ball is Howard Roberts who played for Nottingham, Outlaws, Doncaster Dragons.

Marauders ketty fletcher and swifty 001.jpg

Edited by Marauder
  • Like 1

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/