Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Wakefield Ram

Greatest players - your top three wingers

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, Therein73 said:

Slowest winger ?? .... I'd put Michael Hunte aa clear at the top of that pile ??

Oddly enough my memories of him were playing at prop for us when things were really bad, and I mean really bad. He did a lot to help the club at the time, including acting as stand in coach for a couple of games, yet never seemed to get any recognition for it at the time nor since; I wonder why that was?

  • Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To clarify.... My mention of Michael Hunte was not meant disrespectfully ..... He was so heavily bandaged when he played on the wing he would never have been quick .... But, yes, i remember he was a massive help to the club in very poor times .... And I, at least, remember him with respect and admiration for that .... 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Therein73 said:

To clarify.... My mention of Michael Hunte was not meant disrespectfully ..... He was so heavily bandaged when he played on the wing he would never have been quick .... But, yes, i remember he was a massive help to the club in very poor times .... And I, at least, remember him with respect and admiration for that .... 

Agreed! .. hence my post one leg! .. Ive never seen a leg with so much strapping!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/03/2020 at 19:19, Therein73 said:

Slowest winger ?? .... I'd put Michael Hunte aa clear at the top of that pile ??

Hugh Gumbs (played mainly reserve games) really slow, but so big he was unstoppable from 10 yards out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Eddie Rombo (Legend)

2. Dennis Bailey

3. Brynn Powell (is superman)

Others worth mentioning; Alex Godfrey, Eric Kibe, Adrian Flynn, Austin Buchannan, Matt Bramald (ripped Huddersfield apart on his debut for us), Kane Epati, Darren Rogers, Richard Arrowsmith

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DewsburyRams4ever said:

1. Eddie Rombo (Legend)

2. Dennis Bailey

3. Brynn Powell (is superman)

Others worth mentioning; Alex Godfrey, Eric Kibe, Adrian Flynn, Austin Buchannan, Matt Bramald (ripped Huddersfield apart on his debut for us), Kane Epati, Darren Rogers, Richard Arrowsmith

 

 

 

Craig Miles - fast, and a good winger on his day. And incredibly popular in Batley.

  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

 

George Bernard Shaw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/03/2020 at 20:00, Burnley Ram said:

For me it's 

Eddie Rombo

Dennis Bailey

Jeff Yoward

 

With mentions for Austin Buchanan, Alex Godfrey, Darren Rogers

Adrian Flynn and from the 60's Kevin Osbourne and Brian Firth

 

 

Kev Osborne and Brian Firth were co-centres, work colleagues and mates and for me, if we get to favourite centres, those two and Nigel. 


Legs, Dews, Legs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Kev Osborne and Brian Firth were co-centres, work colleagues and mates and for me, if we get to favourite centres, those two and Nigel. 

Centres coming up.....just trying to spread it out as looks like a few months without rugby at best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Kev Osborne and Brian Firth were co-centres, work colleagues and mates and for me, if we get to favourite centres, those two and Nigel. 

Thought Ozzy was a winger - seem to remember (pre Nigel), it was Firth and somebody called Nicholson (Tony ??) at centre and Ozzy and  Willie Walker on the wing ? Course it could be my age - I saw Elvis in the chip shop yesterday.

  • Haha 1

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

 

George Bernard Shaw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

Thought Ozzy was a winger - seem to remember (pre Nigel), it was Firth and somebody called Nicholson (Tony ??) at centre and Ozzy and  Willie Walker on the wing ? Course it could be my age - I saw Elvis in the chip shop yesterday.

Grumpy, it’s highly likely that they did play on the wing, but I recall them as Firth at right centre and Ozzy on the left, he the master of stepping well forward at the ptb. 


Legs, Dews, Legs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Grumpy, it’s highly likely that they did play on the wing, but I recall them as Firth at right centre and Ozzy on the left, he the master of stepping well forward at the ptb. 

That made me laugh, I'd forgotten Osborne always took a step forward at the ptb. He was ahead of his time in that sense. I only saw him when he made a brief comeback in mid 70s

Edited by Wakefield Ram

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eddie Rombo, Dennis Bailey and Adrian Flynn for me. However does anyone remember Mick Snee ex- Halifax? The name sticks in the mind but can’t recall any single performance by the lad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mick Snee is a Dewsbury lad ... I think he was St John Fisher .... we used to kick a ball about at Dewsbury park ( Celtics ground ) ... he was pretty quick!

Edited by the old nine ole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, the old nine ole said:

Mick Snee is a Dewsbury lad ... I think he was St John Fisher .... we used to kick a ball about at Dewsbury park ... he was pretty quick!

How about Dewsbury born wingers - Dave Smith, Dave Redfearn and recently Johnny Campbell - all quick. Any others ?


Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

 

George Bernard Shaw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, grumpyoldram said:

How about Dewsbury born wingers - Dave Smith, Dave Redfearn and recently Johnny Campbell - all quick. Any others ?

Some bloke called Sullivan wasn't there?


Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Some bloke called Sullivan wasn't there?

Sorry BSJ, if it’s Mick to whom you refer, he was born in Pudsey, but I’ll give you it as he played his amateur stuff locally. 


Legs, Dews, Legs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...