Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
welshmagpie

West Wales to donate* £500 to all 7 Welsh amateur clubs

Recommended Posts

https://www.raidersrugbyleague.co.uk/post/raiders-show-support-to-community-clubs
 

subject to application and certain conditions being met (I do wonder what those are as this quote intrigued me...)   FWIW - it’s no secret that links aren’t great between WWR and the majority of the amateur clubs.

As the only professional rugby league club in South Wales we have a duty to help where possible and we hope in return the clubs will help support us build for the future

 

 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting attempt to start developing relationships with the community game, my local team the Rhondda Outlaws (who aren’t based in the Rhondda!) tweeted enthusiastically about this, but like WM i would be interested to know the conditions. 

  • Like 2

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have either of you heard anything about Aberavon Fighting Irish starting again next season? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Have either of you heard anything about Aberavon Fighting Irish starting again next season? 

That would be great remember playing against  them for Peckham the patron was a chap called Clive who had a local hotel a larger than life character ?

 

Paul

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Have either of you heard anything about Aberavon Fighting Irish starting again next season? 

.

Edited by welshmagpie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

That would be great remember playing against  them for Peckham the patron was a chap called Clive who had a local hotel a larger than life character ?

 

Paul

Clive is still a hotelier and is much larger than he used to be. If you played for Peckham, we must have played against each other. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Yep they’re coming back.

aiming for a first team and one junior aide. Chris O’Callaghan is behind the relaunch.

I don't mean to be a nuisance but where did you get that information from? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fighting irish said:

I don't mean to be a nuisance but where did you get that information from? 

A comment on the club Instagram page, apologies if I’m wrong. Happy to edit if so?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll have a look thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I'll have a look thanks! 

Did you play against Rose Bridge  ? Long time ago though,  I remember it was played on Sunday,  we travelled down on Saturday and stayed in some chalet type accomodation on the banks of a river.  Had a great night on the Saturday followed by a good craic on the Sunday.  I know that we won but can't remember score or year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chisholm said:

Did you play against Rose Bridge  ? Long time ago though,  I remember it was played on Sunday,  we travelled down on Saturday and stayed in some chalet type accomodation on the banks of a river.  Had a great night on the Saturday followed by a good craic on the Sunday.  I know that we won but can't remember score or year.

Help me to answer the question? What year was it? Did you play Aberavon Rugby League Club or Aberavon Fighting Irish RL Club?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Help me to answer the question? What year was it? Did you play Aberavon Rugby League Club or Aberavon Fighting Irish RL Club?

Aberavon fighting Irish. Long time ago so memory not what it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Clive is still a hotelier and is much larger than he used to be. If you played for Peckham, we must have played against each other. 

Havant seen him since around 1990 we had dinner at Kettners in Soho London (OMG thats 30 years ago:)

 

Paul

PS/Would have been ABERAVON (Before the fighting Irish:)

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
MISTAKE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, chisholm said:

Aberavon fighting Irish. Long time ago so memory not what it was.

My brother and I formed Aberavon in the early 80's and we ran the club for 18 years. (My brother Danny did most of the heavy lifting). A chap called Chris O'Callaghan (a school mate) played for us on and off, along with 3 of his four brothers. He was an  ex-Cambridge Blue at RaRa and became, after a very successful playing career (at Union) the Aberavon RFU coach. It was while he was coaching the Wizards that he, along with his brother John, formed the Fighting Irish, Chris coached and John Dennis did most of the heavy lifting! Lol. I was a founder member of the F.I. club and coached the U-17's. So, if you played the Fighting Irish I wasn't playing but its great to meet you and chat with you. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Havant seen him since around 1990 we had dinner at Kettners in Soho London (OMG thats 30 years ago:)

 

Paul

PS/Would have been ABERAVON (Before the fighting Irish:)

Yes it was before the Fighting Irish. (See the previous post). I absolutely loved being in the London League. When we formed the club, our nearest opposition was 200 miles away. So we played a first season of friendly fixtures against Northern clubs who we enticed to visit Aberavon. Clive Hopkins helped us to ensure that our visitors were housed, well fed and catered for and we did our best to ensure they had a torrid time on the field. Lol. I think we joined the London League in our second year because we needed a full fixture list. We had to guarantee to fulfill our away games for the benefit of having each London club visit us once a season. It worked, we found the players, we made the money, we bought the kit, arranged the games, transport, blah blah blah. It was great. Peckham were a great side, Puma's were a great side, Ealing were great, Colonials (broke my nose) were terrific. I wish they were all still playing but the London scene is a huge success story for our game. Long may it continue. I'm pleased to meet you, keep in touch. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jannerboyuk said:

Interesting attempt to start developing relationships with the community game, my local team the Rhondda Outlaws (who aren’t based in the Rhondda!) tweeted enthusiastically about this, but like WM i would be interested to know the conditions. 

Me too and that is why I was not among the masses rushing to congratulate them on social media.  A "donations with strings attached" essentially.  It could be completely innocent, but the fact they are not going willing to go public with it does arouse my suspicion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

My brother and I formed Aberavon in the early 80's and we ran the club for 18 years. (My brother Danny did most of the heavy lifting). A chap called Chris O'Callaghan (a school mate) played for us on and off, along with 3 of his four brothers. He was an  ex-Cambridge Blue at RaRa and became, after a very successful playing career (at Union) the Aberavon RFU coach. It was while he was coaching the Wizards that he, along with his brother John, formed the Fighting Irish, Chris coached and John Dennis did most of the heavy lifting! Lol. I was a founder member of the F.I. club and coached the U-17's. So, if you played the Fighting Irish I wasn't playing but its great to meet you and chat with you. 

You to mate, we had a great craic that weekend.  I didn't play has I had retired and was a committee member and still am. Was a very heavy Saturday and even heavier Sunday !!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, chisholm said:

You to mate, we had a great craic that weekend.  I didn't play has I had retired and was a committee member and still am. Was a very heavy Saturday and even heavier Sunday !!!!

Just done a bit of investigation,  game was on 30th November , 2003. Challenge Cup . Result 28 6 win for bridge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember travelling down to South Wales on a couple occasions in the early 1980's to play Aberavon. On one occasion the opposition had a distinct resemblance to Neath RFC. On onother occasion we had a bitter winter and frozen pitches. As we had to set off early the arrangement was that we would ring Aberavon on-route to check if the pitch was thawed. They assured us all was well  but when we arrived the pitch was frozen. No enthusiam for coming back to replay the fixture, so both teams agreed to play with limited tackling. That soon went out the door soon after kick off and we had a full on match. I still remember the sound of my studs on the pitch.

Irrespective, on both occasions we had the best post-match hospitality possible at a hotel on the 'seaside' in Aberavon where we were served a full roast sunday dinner. 

As if this was not good enough, a few of our younger players took a liking to some Welsh lasses and eventually returned to Hemel on Tuesday morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Hemel Rugby League said:

Remember travelling down to South Wales on a couple occasions in the early 1980's to play Aberavon. On one occasion the opposition had a distinct resemblance to Neath RFC. On onother occasion we had a bitter winter and frozen pitches. As we had to set off early the arrangement was that we would ring Aberavon on-route to check if the pitch was thawed. They assured us all was well  but when we arrived the pitch was frozen. No enthusiam for coming back to replay the fixture, so both teams agreed to play with limited tackling. That soon went out the door soon after kick off and we had a full on match. I still remember the sound of my studs on the pitch.

Irrespective, on both occasions we had the best post-match hospitality possible at a hotel on the 'seaside' in Aberavon where we were served a full roast sunday dinner. 

As if this was not good enough, a few of our younger players took a liking to some Welsh lasses and eventually returned to Hemel on Tuesday morning.

We had some great afternoons after the matches. I'm so glad, you enjoyed your visit. It was the best time of my life, I just wish I could still play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest CougarLove
On 13/05/2020 at 18:18, jannerboyuk said:

Interesting attempt to start developing relationships with the community game, my local team the Rhondda Outlaws (who aren’t based in the Rhondda!) tweeted enthusiastically about this, but like WM i would be interested to know the conditions. 

They are based at Glyncoch Sports Club & Institute in Glyncoch, Pontypridd which is right bang in the middle of the Rhondda.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/05/2020 at 20:23, fighting irish said:

My brother and I formed Aberavon in the early 80's and we ran the club for 18 years. (My brother Danny did most of the heavy lifting). A chap called Chris O'Callaghan (a school mate) played for us on and off, along with 3 of his four brothers. He was an  ex-Cambridge Blue at RaRa and became, after a very successful playing career (at Union) the Aberavon RFU coach. It was while he was coaching the Wizards that he, along with his brother John, formed the Fighting Irish, Chris coached and John Dennis did most of the heavy lifting! Lol. I was a founder member of the F.I. club and coached the U-17's. So, if you played the Fighting Irish I wasn't playing but its great to meet you and chat with you. 

I remember playing For Bath against Aberavon (not Irish) in a few lively MASWARLA games back in the late 80s

memory very hazy but seem to remember you having a huge prop ( ex Olympian ?)

also even hazier memories of drinking challenges involving a tea pot

good to hear RL still alive and kicking down there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, CougarLove said:

They are based at Glyncoch Sports Club & Institute in Glyncoch, Pontypridd which is right bang in the middle of the Rhondda.  

I literally drive past the ‘welcome to the rhondda’ sign everyday to go to work - glyncoch is not in the rhondda


PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/05/2020 at 20:34, fighting irish said:

Yes it was before the Fighting Irish. (See the previous post). I absolutely loved being in the London League. When we formed the club, our nearest opposition was 200 miles away. So we played a first season of friendly fixtures against Northern clubs who we enticed to visit Aberavon. Clive Hopkins helped us to ensure that our visitors were housed, well fed and catered for and we did our best to ensure they had a torrid time on the field. Lol. I think we joined the London League in our second year because we needed a full fixture list. We had to guarantee to fulfill our away games for the benefit of having each London club visit us once a season. It worked, we found the players, we made the money, we bought the kit, arranged the games, transport, blah blah blah. It was great. Peckham were a great side, Puma's were a great side, Ealing were great, Colonials (broke my nose) were terrific. I wish they were all still playing but the London scene is a huge success story for our game. Long may it continue. I'm pleased to meet you, keep in touch. 

Thought Aberavon were in MASWARLA and only associate members of London League (played teams with an off week) but happy to be corrected, after all it was many years ago !


My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...