Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bearman

146 teams

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

A mere 41 RFL Community Board Clubs (42 including Edinburgh Eagles from Scotland Rugby League) exist outside of the Core RL Areas, there's another double digit number of Core Area (Heartland if you will) Clubs I'll do a run down of.

West of England League = 6
1. Somerset Vikings
2. Reading Raiders
3. Oxford Cavaliers
4. Cheltenham Phoenix
5. Bath RL
6. Swindon St George

London League = 7
1. Brixton Bulls
2. Elmbridge Eagles
3. London Chargers
4. London Skolars
5. Medway Dragons
6. Newham Dockers
7. West Warriors

South West League = 5
1. Devon Sharks
2. Tarka Storm
3. Dorset County Giants
4. Teignbridge Trojans
5. Saltash Essayons

East Rugby League = 7
1. Brentwood Eels
2. St Ives Roosters
3. North Herts Crusaders
4. St Albans Centurions
5. Southend Sharks
6. Hemel Stags
7. Bedford Tigers

Midlands League = 8
1. Birmingham Bulldogs
2. Telford Raiders
3. Leamington Totals
4. North East Worcestershire Ravens
5. Sherwood Wolf Hunt
6. Derby City
7. Boston Buccaneers
8. Nottingham Outlaws

North East League = 9
1. Edinburgh Eagles
2. Jarrow Vikings
3. West View Warriors
4. Cramlington Rockets
5. Wallsend Eagles
6. Durham Demons
7. Durham Tigers
8. Catterick Crusaders
9. Peterlee Pumas

A ‘mere’ 41? It’s great that there are that many. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I can assure you this does not happen in union

My club regularly has had people who have never played before just turn up and play after a couple of training sessions.... Some have been okay after a season or two! 

I don’t mean for players it’s the clubs themselves who have to sort everything out. Players can just turn up and play as always but it makes making a team up out of pub regulars and mates a thing of the past now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bearman said:

2007...there were 146 teams in the Rugby League Conference alone

Plenty of those teams relied on 'out of season' union players but since then we've seen the rapid growth of touch rugby and an increase in end of season Sevens rugby. Both these developments have reduced RL's potential player pool.

Additionally, back in 2007 clubs were part of a national competition with a fairly good profile, but nowadays it's more regionalised and more anonymous. Even RLE gives the competition little more than a cursory nod!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

A ‘mere’ 41? It’s great that there are that many. 

Some would have been lost to 2020 and beyond without the Coronavirus which I'm sure would have been replaced. more will be lost to 2020+ because of the virus, don't know if the will, time or inclination to replace these is there.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I don’t mean for players it’s the clubs themselves who have to sort everything out. Players can just turn up and play as always but it makes making a team up out of pub regulars and mates a thing of the past now. 

I have a rather romantuc notion that northern pubs do seven a side league teams!/leagues? Does that still happen? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

66 Clubs in the North West Heartland: 

North West League = 54
1. Ashton Bears
2. Blackbrook
3. Blackpool Scorpions
4. Blackpool Stanley
5. Bold Miners
6. Bolton Mets
7. Bury Broncos
8. Cadishead Rhinos
9. Chester Gladiators
10. Chorley Panthers
11. Clock Face Miners
12. Crosfields
13. Culcheth Eagles
14. Dalton
15. Eccleston Lions
16. Folly Lane
17. Garswood Stags
18. Golborne Parkside
19. Halton Simms Cross
20. Haresfinch
21. Haydock
22. Heysham Atoms
23. Higginshaw
24. Hindley
25. Hindpool Tigers
26. Ince Rose Bridge
27. Langworthy Reds
28. Latchford Albion
29. Leigh East
30. Leigh Miners Rangers
31. Liverpool Lions
32. Liverpool St Helens
33. Newton Storm
34. Oldham St Annes
35. Orrell St James
36. Pilkington Recs
37. Rochdale Mayfield
38 Roose Pioneers
39. Runcorn
40 saddleworth Rangers
41. Salford City Roosters
42. Shevington Sharks
43. South Ribble Rabbitohs
44. Thatto Heath Crusaders
45. Ulverston
46. West Bank Bears
47. Westhoughton Lions
48. Widnes Tigers
49. Wigan Bulldogs
50. Wigan Springview
51. Wigan St Cuthberts
52. Wigan St Judes
53. Wigan St Patricks
54. Woolston Rovers

Cumberland ARL = 12
1. Distington
2. Wath Brow Hornets
3. Ellenborough
4. Glasson Rangers
5. Seaton Rangers
6. Egremont Rangers
7. Hensingham
8. Kells
9. Maryport
10. Cockermouth Titans
11. Aspatria Hornets
12. Lowca

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last but not least, 59 RFL Community Board Clubs in Yorkshire.

Yorkshire League = 57
1. Allerton Bywater
2. Almondbury Spartans
3. Batley Boys
4. Bentley
5. Birkenshaw Bluedogs
6. Birstall Victoria
7. Bramley Buffaloes
8. Brighouse Rangers
9. Brotherton Bulldogs
10. Crigglestone All Blacks
11. Crofton Cougars
12. Cutsyke Raiders
13. Dearne Valley Bulldogs
14. Dewsbury Celtic
15. Dewsbury Moor
16. Doncaster Toll Bar
17. East Hull
18. East Leeds
19. Elland
20. Farnley Falcons
21. Featherstone Lions
22. Fryston
23. Garforth Tigers
24. Greetland All Rounders
25. Heworth
26. Hunslet Club Parkside
27. Hunslet Warriors
28. Keighley Albion
29. King Cross Park
30. Kippax Welfare
31. Kirkburton Cougars
32. Leeds Akkies
33. Lock Lane
34. Milford Marlins
35. Moorends Thorne
36. Myton Warriors
37. New Earswick All Blacks
38. Normanton Knights
39. Odsal Sedbergh
40. Ossett Trinity Tigers
41. Oulton Raiders
42. Ovenden
43. Queensbury
44. Sharlston Rovers
45. Sheffield Forgers
46. Sheffield Hawks
47. Siddal
48. St Josephs
49. Stanningley
50. Thornhill Trojans
51. Goole Vikings
52. Wakefield Hawks
53. West Hull
54. Wetherby Bulldogs
55. Wibsey Warriors
56. Wyke
57. York Accorn

58. Dodworth Miners 

59. Lambwath Lions 

Edited by Smudger06
Additions
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yorkshire - 59
Cumberland - 12
North West- 54
North East - 9
Midlands - 8
East - 7
South West - 5
London - 7
West - 6

That's 167 Clubs.

Clubs, not teams. Many of those in the heartlands have 2 Open Age Teams, one in the Regional League, the other in the NCL. Nottingham Outlaws team is in the Midlands and they also run a team in the Yorkshire League. Some of the non heartlands clubs run two teams. One in their Regional League the other in the Southern Conference League.

Edited by Smudger06
Additions
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Eddie said:

This is a great thread for doom mongers to say how a lot of clubs closing since the 70s means the game is dying, without taking time to consider why that is. 

Because no one is bothered. Especially the expansion fantasists on TRL Forums. The Governing Bodies and the Pro Clubs have taken the Community Game for granted, paid it lip service for many a decade. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Because no one is bothered. Especially the expansion fantasists on TRL Forums. The Governing Bodies and the Pro Clubs have taken the Community Game for granted, paid it lip service for many a decade. 

Can I be an expansion fantasist if it involves starting up a new club?

I agree with the second part of your post in particular. The hand that provides the depth of potential pro-players is under-nourished and under-cherished, without doubt. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I have a rather romantuc notion that northern pubs do seven a side league teams!/leagues? Does that still happen? 

Definitely used to, but doubt it does anymore.

A lot of the pubs I frequent in Wakefield and Leeds have old "pub team" shirts up on the wall. The Skyrack did before it was revamped - an orange and Black hooped number. Plenty on the Westgate run have had rugby, darts and pool teams.

Compared to Leeds its a bit of a throwback, perhaps an anachronism in modern Britain. That said there's no pub teams now that I know of sadly, which is a shame as I'd love to play for the Wagon or the Waterloo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Because no one is bothered. Especially the expansion fantasists on TRL Forums. The Governing Bodies and the Pro Clubs have taken the Community Game for granted, paid it lip service for many a decade. 

The areas of growth for the amateur teams has been almost exclusively outside the heartlands and is reliant on clubs like Newcastle, Hemel, London Broncos and Coventry to act as beacons and crux points of the amateur clubs there.

I agree the heartland pro game could do more. The problem I think would be demarcation of which amateur clubs are whose responsibility and who are best place to hold that responsibility. For example for you as a Fev fan, would Fev Lions or Sharlston Rovers be best served by coming under Fev Rovers banner or one of the two Super League clubs? Would the West Yorkshire clubs all be better coming under either Huddersfield or Leeds with the best funded academy/community set ups?

I think there's a lot wrong with the way the amateur game is ran, but I don't have any tangible interest in it anymore and wouldn't be paid enough to care until my own children take part.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Can I be an expansion fantasist if it involves starting up a new club?

I agree with the second part of your post in particular. The hand that provides the depth of potential pro-players is under-nourished and under-cherished, without doubt. 

If an ARLFC hopefully with a JARLFC, no. 

If an RLFC then you could be, depending on where you are locating the Club, what funds you are guaranteeing to run that Club and what solid Community plan and guaranteed funds you will put into the well thought out community plan. To get people enjoying playing the game in this new expansion area, to get people through the turnstiles, primarily for the game and on a long term basis, to eventually develop potential pro players.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

If an ARLFC hopefully with a JARLFC, no. 

If an RLFC then you could be, depending on where you are locating the Club, what funds you are guaranteeing to run that Club and what solid Community plan and guaranteed funds you will put into the well thought out community plan. To get people enjoying playing the game in this new expansion area, to get people through the turnstiles, primarily for the game and on a long term basis, to eventually develop potential pro players.  

We started with kids only. Outside the heartlands. Own cash. Hopefully that passes muster with you.

Edited by Northern Eel
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Last but not least, 57 RFL Community Board Clubs in Yorkshire.

Yorkshire League = 57
1. Allerton Bywater
2. Almondbury Spartans
3. Batley Boys
4. Bentley
5. Birkenshaw Bluedogs
6. Birstall Victoria
7. Bramley Buffaloes
8. Brighouse Rangers
9. Brotherton Bulldogs
10. Crigglestone All Blacks
11. Crofton Cougars
12. Cutsyke Raiders
13. Dearne Valley Bulldogs
14. Dewsbury Celtic
15. Dewsbury Moor
16. Doncaster Toll Bar
17. East Hull
18. East Leeds
19. Elland
20. Farnley Falcons
21. Featherstone Lions
22. Fryston
23. Garforth Tigers
24. Greetland All Rounders
25. Heworth
26. Hunslet Club Parkside
27. Hunslet Warriors
28. Keighley Albion
29. King Cross Park
30. Kippax Welfare
31. Kirkburton Cougars
32. Leeds Akkies
33. Lock Lane
34. Milford Marlins
35. Moorends Thorne
36. Myton Warriors
37. New Earswick All Blacks
38. Normanton Knights
39. Odsal Sedbergh
40. Ossett Trinity Tigers
41. Oulton Raiders
42. Ovenden
43. Queensbury
44. Sharlston Rovers
45. Sheffield Forgers
46. Sheffield Hawks
47. Siddal
48. St Josephs
49. Stanningley
50. Thornhill Trojans
51. Goole Vikings
52. Wakefield Hawks
53. West Hull
54. Wetherby Bulldogs
55. Wibsey Warriors
56. Wyke
57. York Accorn

according to yorkshire league web site on club list there are 59 teams your list seems to be missing Premier Division Nottingham Outlaws and  Division  5 Sherwood Wolf Hunt 

However in the league tables there are 68 teams named with 5 A teams  in Divisions 4 and 5

Also in Division 4  Dodworth Miners and Lambwath Lions are named who  funnily enough aren't mentioned on the club list

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Number 16 said:

300 clubs? Really! What a load of drivel. 

What comps do these clubs play in? I doubt there's barely half that number. 

So it's still drivel Number 16 after all the above posts ?

I calculate 294 clubs at open age  prior to lockdown ( counting a club as simply the first team so no doubling up  at lower levels for reserves etc) . Probably  equally as many '  stand alone  ' youth and junior clubs.

The game has morphed from  'pub ' sides to clubs with more structure  and depth - a bit like the old enemy who lost their 'works sides ' years ago. ( I don't think they ever had pub one's )

All team sports under the cosh as society changes but RL still meeting to the satisfaction of the Government   the set targets - 5% growth and 2% retention. 

Just waiting to get going again when they let us.....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, POR said:

according to yorkshire league web site on club list there are 59 teams your list seems to be missing Premier Division Nottingham Outlaws and  Division  5 Sherwood Wolf Hunt 

However in the league tables there are 68 teams named with 5 A teams  in Divisions 4 and 5

Also in Division 4  Dodworth Miners and Lambwath Lions are named who  funnily enough aren't mentioned on the club list

That's because I've done Clubs, those are already listed under Midlands League mate. Yes, some Clubs also run 2nd Teams lower down the tiers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Appologies to Yorkshire League Clubs Lambwath Lions & Dodworth Miners. 

Anyone spot any other Clubs missed from the League's or any Clubs not returning an open age team for 2020, please let me know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Definitely used to, but doubt it does anymore.

A lot of the pubs I frequent in Wakefield and Leeds have old "pub team" shirts up on the wall. The Skyrack did before it was revamped - an orange and Black hooped number. Plenty on the Westgate run have had rugby, darts and pool teams.

Compared to Leeds its a bit of a throwback, perhaps an anachronism in modern Britain. That said there's no pub teams now that I know of sadly, which is a shame as I'd love to play for the Wagon or the Waterloo.

Ah well.... at least there is that film with Samantha Janus for me to watch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Ah well.... at least there is that film with Samantha Janus for me to watch

You will be lucky to find  a pub  able to turn out 13 have go lads these days and to be honest post lockdown even the darts and dominoes teams might struggle....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, del capo said:

You will be lucky to find  a pub  able to turn out 13 have go lads these days and to be honest post lockdown even the darts and dominoes teams might struggle....

Not to mention, a lot less pubs open to even try an attempt to cobble a team together compared with a decade or 2 ago. Probably be even less reopening after this lockdown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've really enjoyed reading the posts about the number of clubs around the country. I hope we can continue to grow into new areas for decades to come.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Ah well.... at least there is that film with Samantha Janus for me to watch

I could get a really decent 13 on the park and any number of bench warmers if she was collecting the subs..........

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

We started with kids only. Outside the heartlands. Own cash. Hopefully that passes muster with you.

I'd love to hear your story. Whatever the know-it-all's here say, its people like you that the game depends on to grow.

Taking up the challenge of organising teams/clubs just for the sheer joy of playing and being involved.

Our (the games) biggest mistake, is not acknowledging this fact and the immense debt of gratitude the game owes to people like you.

Some here dismiss it (the junior/amateur game) as irrelevant or unimportant and speak of the achievements of the likes of Bob Brown at Hemel Hempstead with such contempt, describing the club as a failure. They make me sick.

Good luck in your endeavours I hope you get as much fun out of it as its given me, over the years. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I'd love to hear your story. Whatever the know-it-all's here say, its people like you that the game depends on to grow.

Taking up the challenge of organising teams/clubs just for the sheer joy of playing and being involved.

Our (the games) biggest mistake, is not acknowledging this fact and the immense debt of gratitude the game owes to people like you.

Some here dismiss it (the junior/amateur game) as irrelevant or unimportant and speak of the achievements of the likes of Bob Brown at Hemel Hempstead with such contempt, describing the club as a failure. They make me sick.

Good luck in your endeavours I hope you get as much fun out of it as its given me, over the years. 

Appreciate the sentiment, thanks. I don't take too much notice of naysayers. I like to get the job done and if that means taking the bull by the horns and leading by example, that's what happens. 

My story has been aired before on here, so apologies to those who know it. Whilst living down in Essex, I started the Brentwood Elvers team, a group of U11s who, within 6 years had grown to 7 ages groups, including the likes of Jo Keyes and Alex Walker, who went on to play Super League. Moving again in 2011,  I left the Elvers (subsequently Brentwood Eels) in very capable hands and they now are one of the stronger southern-based teams at Open Age.

After taking a few years to get on top of my new job, I began a new junior club in Nottinghamshire, Bassetlaw Bulldogs. We are in our third year and over 75% of our players are rugby league players, before any other sport. We have two kids who play rugby union, a handful who play football and many more who just love playing RL. I will keep going. 

Tomorrow I am digging holes on our village sports field, where we play, to put up new rugby posts on our sole-use pitch. We have £130k pledged in funding to build our new clubhouse in the winter/spring and hope to add a girls team and adult touch team to our 4-team roster in the coming months, once the lockdown is lifted. 

The ground is just at the side of the East Coast Mainline, south of Retford, so I can see some decent advertising coming on soon too!

Edited by Northern Eel
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...