RIP Simon Cooper

16 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Bloody awful news, he seemed like a top geezer and so passionate about RL.

Reading the thread from Craig's link over on AOB's obituary thread filled me with emotion.

People with a terminal illness can show such amazing courage, especially Simon considering he was only 46 and had a 4 year old daughter.

Heartbreaking.

RIP fella.

There's some posts on this forum that just stick in memory for life, that was one that I was able to remember and find very easily. Reposted here for those who don't go on AOB

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I was lucky enough to know Simon.

He drove from Hamburg to Copenhagen to referee a game of rugby league. He paid his own parking and my dog loved him. He was a big fella back then. He was not the most confident of men, nor that comfortable in his own skin. I remember the transformation in him when he ran over the whitewash though, the weight came off his - even though he was the ref rather than a player. I suspect for years he had only felt truely at home on the rugby pitch.

He seemed a quiet sensitive man. I suspect his happiest years were his last years. He found a wife who truely cared for him and they had a daughter who brought him more to life than he had before.

I was lucky enough to have the chance to visit him last year. He was a gracious host and it was great to see him with a very loving wife and daughter. Probably happier than he had ever been. It was the only time my wife met him and she is affected by his death.

We had been planning on visiting him in March, but coronavirus prevented it. His wife has been remarkable through this period.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I’ve just got round to picking up my copy of the latest Forty20 and Phil Caplin did an interview with Simon. At first, I thought it was going to be an obituary but it turns out not to be at all and is championing his work. It’s a good article and I’m pleased that there is other people like Simon out there.  

Archived