Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RogerT

Are we getting another 5 at 5 next week

Recommended Posts

By the taste buds are going into overdrive at the prospect of more to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope there's another couple of inbound of quality though as we're already looking 'samey'. Is re-signing 2/3rd of last times' squad actually improving us?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have the same budget, you get the same standard of players, hopefully including a few young ones you may uncover a quality player. Like the last few seasons we look to have a side that will not to be too close to relegation but not looking able to challenge the top 6 teams.

I look forward to be proved wrong.

  • Like 1

 

 

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, phildog said:

I hope there's another couple of inbound of quality though as we're already looking 'samey'. Is re-signing 2/3rd of last times' squad actually improving us?

We didn't get a proper look at Linners team this year, but what we did see from the "same" players looked better than what MD got out of them in his last season I'd say

  • Like 1

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, phildog said:

I hope there's another couple of inbound of quality though as we're already looking 'samey'. Is re-signing 2/3rd of last times' squad actually improving us?

I'm sure if we had a Beaumont (Leigh), a consortium of wealthy businessmen (Toulouse), a Campbell (Fev) on the board, or regular home gates of 5-6000 we would not be putting a squad together costing less than £300k. I'm quite sure if we had, we would probably spend many times what we do on the playing squad, just as they do.

As we haven't got any of the formentioned wealthy backers, we simply can't do that. 

On the flipside of that, we are unlikely to go out of business, if one of those money men spat the dummy out, or got bored with their play thing and walked away.

There are strong arguments regarding the business models of those clubs propped up, and reliant on a backer piling money in, is not sustainable long term.

I could not foresee a time, where a Batley or Dewsbury for example, would have to "unethically" offload most of the squad before the season had ended in order to save themselves from financial ruin. However, whilst the RFL is happy to turn a blind eye to those business practices,  that do not do the game any favours in terms of credibility. I also cannot foresee a time where we will compete for promotion to SL either. 

The question is, will these backers still be interested in throwing money in, if SL closes its doors to outsiders again?

Edited by DOGFATHER
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me players of a top level aren’t coming cheap.. you look at Ellis at hull Kr he’s just joined Leigh on another full time deal I bet at 15% cut at best.. 

a lot of academy players will become available if clubs don’t want them after the reserves isn’t about in 2021 but are they experienced enough to play championship level.... 

I think we may uncover a few players if lingard and the club go down that road, the level of retainment is good atm 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

For me players of a top level aren’t coming cheap.. you look at Ellis at hull Kr he’s just joined Leigh on another full time deal I bet at 15% cut at best.. 

a lot of academy players will become available if clubs don’t want them after the reserves isn’t about in 2021 but are they experienced enough to play championship level.... 

I think we may uncover a few players if lingard and the club go down that road, the level of retainment is good atm 

The other thing about these old timers dropping down from SL that are wanting big money, how many have actually been significantly better than the rest of the division? Iestyn Harris, Nick Fozzard, Robbie Paul and numerous others over the years that have been unleashed in a furore of newspaper headlines and huge excitement from fans, spouting about what they will bring to the competition. How many have actually been a success? 

Even Lunt with us last season, although hard to properly judge him on the few games he played for us, was he significantly better than, or indeed as good as Leak? I know which one I'd be more upset about leaving the club from what I had seen. As previously posted, I'm not a huge fan of Leaky, but I would have him over Lunt anyday.

Like you, I'm hoping we can can pull a few up and comer's from SL academy's. Looking at the division it is starting to resemble a retirement home for aging players.

I picked this info up from the Fev board - 

Kirmond (35 in Nov) at York, Ferres (35 in April), Lockwood (35 in March), Hall (33 in February) and Ferguson (33 in April) at fev, and Kris Welham (34 in March) rumoured to be signing for them. Still they will feel possibly youthful when they visit the Tetley Stadium a couple of times and run into Brough (38 in January), or for Dewsbury Sykes (who will be 40 by the end of next season) and maybe Finn (a sprightly 37 in November).

It is a sad state of  affairs that players of that sort of age are the best that clubs can find, and more youthful lads are not coming through or available to sign in the Championship.

Edited by DOGFATHER
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

The other thing about these old timers dropping down from SL that are wanting big money, how many have actually been significantly better than the rest of the division? Iestyn Harris, Nick Fozzard, Robbie Paul and numerous others over the years that have been unleashed in a furore of newspaper headlines and huge excitement from fans, spouting about what they will bring to the competition. How many have actually been a success? 

Even Lunt with us last season, although hard to properly judge him on the few games he played for us, was he significantly better than, or indeed as good as Leak? I know which one I'd be more upset about leaving the club from what I had seen. As previously posted, I'm not a huge fan of Leaky, but I would have him over Lunt anyday.

Like you, I'm hoping we can can pull a few up and comer's from SL academy's. Looking at the division it is starting to resemble a retirement home for aging players.

I picked this info up from the Fev board - 

Kirmond (35 in Nov) at York, Ferres (35 in April), Lockwood (35 in March), Hall (33 in February) and Ferguson (33 in April) at fev, and Kris Welham (34 in March) rumoured to be signing for them. Still they will feel possibly youthful when they visit the Tetley Stadium a couple of times and run into Brough (38 in January), or for Dewsbury Sykes (who will be 40 by the end of next season) and maybe Finn (a sprightly 37 in November).

It is a sad state of  affairs that players of that sort of age are the best that clubs can find, and more youthful lads are not coming through or available to sign in the Championship.

I understand players dropping down to help clubs bring the fans in if they are big names coming to play with one last pay day but when they just come and don’t play it’s a killer for clubs in the championship as they will not just be on a pay as you play unlike a 19/20 year old unproven player in the game 

batley is surely a hot spot for a youngest who needs to find his way in the game following players who have gone on to have a better careers in SL via Dual Reg, Loan and permanent deals 

josh griffin said if it wasn’t for batley and John Kear he’d of stopped playing rugby league 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We won't find out now, but we aren't getting to know if any more have signed on with us referring back to the half time draw on Sunday.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We stuck with Danny Bravo a lonģggggggggg time

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

We stuck with Danny Bravo a lonģggggggggg time

and we paid big joe by the hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nadiole in elbow grease. Literally


'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/09/2020 at 10:02, Keep The Faith said:

For me players of a top level aren’t coming cheap.. you look at Ellis at hull Kr he’s just joined Leigh on another full time deal I bet at 15% cut at best.. 

a lot of academy players will become available if clubs don’t want them after the reserves isn’t about in 2021 but are they experienced enough to play championship level.... 

I think we may uncover a few players if lingard and the club go down that road, the level of retainment is good atm 

that's true FEV have signed five three from leeds and two from c%s a full back winger scrum half ans two back rowers   so they are available but are championship clubs willing to take a punt on players who may or may not play many first team games or will they just go and get the best seventeen they can ❓

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Appears he was sent out to London Skolars/Bronco's I don't remember anything about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...