Should players be allowed to take the knee?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should players be allowed to take the knee?

• Yes, let individuals decide what to do
    • No, stop all players taking the knee

1 minute ago, Martyn Sadler said:

To point to your history certainly isn't naive. You certainly don't make a case out that it is.

But if there are modern examples of BAME players being the victims of racist behaviour, then that is a distinct issue that needs to be addressed.

I don't think anyone would argue against that.

Do you understand the difference between direct racism and systemic racism Martyn? It's not about people being verbally abusive.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BLM is an overtly political movement that has hijacked the indignation at the needless deaths of a number of black people in the US.  It has no place in our sport and no place on this forum. It should be on the political sub-forum where the "we are all guilty/we are all racist/we are all misogynists/we are all something-or-other " brigade hang out doing their Sybil Fawlty impressions .  Players should be of course, free to engage in meaningless gestures and virtue signalling if they want, but in my view the RFL /SuperLeague etc should not be promoting or endorsing it.

Perhaps we should have an "All Lives Matter" campaign about the US police killing 746 non-blacks  in 2017. Not going to happen, though is it. 

17 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Its not political. It's a campaign for racial equality. It's only political if you think there's some ulterior motive to a campaign for racial equality.  Which there isn't. That's why I, and others, find your stance on this so morally questionable.  Do you think the UK is racially equal?  Do you think RL is racially equal? It of course isn't. So why are you so offended by a campaign which wants to improve the lives of minorities?

It is very much political to the point it does not have the overwhelming support of black americans.

Hate mongers like you need to be stood up to.

3 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

It is very much political to the point it does not have the overwhelming support of black americans.

Hate mongers like you need to be stood up to.

I just want a more equal society.  Im not sure the insult's necessary.

18 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Its not political. It's a campaign for racial equality. It's only political if you think there's some ulterior motive to a campaign for racial equality.  Which there isn't. That's why I, and others, find your stance on this so morally questionable.  Do you think the UK is racially equal?  Do you think RL is racially equal? It of course isn't. So why are you so offended by a campaign which wants to improve the lives of minorities?

I'm not objecting to Super League displaying political banners at matches for any moral reasons, or because I disagree with the aims of the BLM movement.

That isn't the point.

When we festoon our stadia with political slogans, the experience of watching a sporting contest changes significantly.

I don't think that most people, regardless of their political persuasion, will find that acceptable.

We will see the NFL launch this weekend, for example.

I would be surprised if there isn't a significant decline in crowd figures this season now that the NFL has decided to politicise the matchday.

If there isn't, feel free to come back to me and point out how wrong I was.

31 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Of course its political. Blindingly obvious to normal people.

BLM called for an end to the death penalty, decriminalisation of drug-related offences and prostitution, and the "demilitarisation" of police departments.

"We seek radical transformation, not reactionary reform," said Michaela Brown, a spokeswoman for Baltimore Bloc, one of the organisations that worked on the platform.

... this platform provides us with a way to intervene with an agenda that resists state and corporate power...

1 minute ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I'm not objecting to Super League displaying political banners at matches for any moral reasons, or because I disagree with the aims of the BLM movement.

That isn't the point.

When we festoon our stadia with political slogans, the experience of watching a sporting contest changes significantly.

I don't think that most people, regardless of their political persuasion, will find that acceptable.

We will see the NFL launch this weekend, for example.

I would be surprised if there isn't a significant decline in crowd figures this season now that the NFL has decided to politicise the matchday.

If there isn't, feel free to come back to me and point out how wrong I was.

I'm more interested in what changes we can make to make the sport fairer than how big crowds will be in the NFL during a pandemic.  Very strange point Martyn.

1 hour ago, Martyn Sadler said:

To point to your history certainly isn't naive. You certainly don't make a case out that it is.

But if there are modern examples of BAME players being the victims of racist behaviour, then that is a distinct issue that needs to be addressed.

I don't think anyone would argue against that.

Which is a fair point.. but to point back to our history makes it look worse in a way as we have gone massively backwards... its actually embarrassing we are not more inclusive when you look at our history surely?

Would you point to a negative history and say you still have a problem if an organisation had made huge strides and was now the bastion of virtue? No you'd see how far they have come.. if your present is poor it doesnt matter about your history to be fair. 

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I find this the strangest comeback when people speak about their opposition to or lack of support for the Black Lives Matter movement.

As a movement Black Lives Matter exists specifically because all lives matter.

What a strange comeback that is. Why mention black lives specifically if that is the case. 

6 minutes ago, RP London said:

Which is a fair point.. but to point back to our history makes it look worse in a way as we have gone massively backwards... its actually embarrassing we are not more inclusive when you look at our history surely?

Would you point to a negative history and say you still have a problem if an organisation had made huge strides and was now the bastion of virtue? No you'd see how far they have come.. if your present is poor it doesnt matter about your history to be fair. 

Our history demonstrates that we were way ahead of every other sport in terms of enabling black sportsmen to achieve great things.

The fact that other sports have followed in our footsteps should be a positive factor, not a negative one.

And who doesn't regret that we haven't seen more Billy Bostons or Ellery Hanleys who could have the same impact that those and many other black players have had in our sport over the years. We are all searching for those players, but the truth is that potential young black athletes now have far more outlets in which to display their talents, and their earnings in Rugby League will not match what they could earn by playing several other sports.

The test is whether, when they do play Rugby League, they feel welcome in our sport.

If there was evidence that they didn't, then that would be a matter of great concern and we would need to do something about it.

2 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Our history demonstrates that we were way ahead of every other sport in terms of enabling black sportsmen to achieve great things.

The fact that other sports have followed in our footsteps should be a positive factor, not a negative one.

And who doesn't regret that we haven't seen more Billy Bostons or Ellery Hanleys who could have the same impact that those and many other black players have had in our sport over the years. We are all searching for those players, but the truth is that potential young black athletes now have far more outlets in which to display their talents, and their earnings in Rugby League will not match what they could earn by playing several other sports.

The test is whether, when they do play Rugby League, they feel welcome in our sport.

If there was evidence that they didn't, then that would be a matter of great concern and we would need to do something about it.

The test is to address why we’re shrugging our shoulders and saying they have so many more outlets so what can you do?

It’s fairly obvious we’re losing players, volunteers, sponsors and spectators because of such passivity.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Martyn Sadler said:

No one can deny that sport and politics are closely connected, but politicising the matchday experience is the best way to drive fans away from the game. When we watch a game, sport should allow us to escape from politics for 80 or 90 minutes.

So, to clarify, you don't want the BLM stuff on show on a match day, because fans want to come to rugby matches and escape from politics and the real world...... and some of them  do that by racially abusing players (it happens).

So basically you're saying to the players, sorry lads, i realise this is an issue in daily life for you, but can we stick a pin in it for 80 minutes cos we don't want to upset the knuckle draggers from X place, who are gonna call you rotten? 

When do BAME fans and players get an escape from this?

48 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Of course its political. Blindingly obvious to normal people.

BLM called for an end to the death penalty, decriminalisation of drug-related offences and prostitution, and the "demilitarisation" of police departments.

"We seek radical transformation, not reactionary reform," said Michaela Brown, a spokeswoman for Baltimore Bloc, one of the organisations that worked on the platform.

... this platform provides us with a way to intervene with an agenda that resists state and corporate power...

Because black people in America suffer disproportionately at the hands of all those things. Racism is inherently political, I assume you want an end to racial injustice? If the answer is yes, then these are solutions they are putting forward. You can't have it both ways and moan at symbolism but then get upset when actual plans are put forward that would help the situation.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

10 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

What a strange comeback that is. Why mention black lives specifically if that is the case. 

Do you really need this spelling out? All lives cannot matter until black lives do (or any other oppressed and disadvantaged group of people).

To the privileged, equality feels like oppression.

3736-mipm.gif

4 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Do you really need this spelling out? All lives cannot matter until black lives do (or any other oppressed and disadvantaged group of people).

To the privileged, equality feels like oppression.

That is just sheer and utter carp.

2 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

That is just sheer and utter carp.

So according to you everyone in the world has blanket equality. Ok John.

3736-mipm.gif

Archived