Dual-registration to be abolished

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I not being funny mate but "ban DR" doesn't deal with the issues at the heart of it and only kicks that can down the road in ways I've previously posted.

Squads aren't big enough in the Championship for clubs without academies. We don't have big enough SL squads to have the loan system football has. SL reserves are in the genesis stage at best and several clubs have their doubts anyway. Some players benefit massively from playing in the championship prior to making the Super League teams.

So again it's the old argument , SL fans are only interested in improving SL , and Championship fans want what's best for the Championship 

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Robin Evans said:

Its a SL issue mate. Squads are big enough in the Championship. Fans down here in the sludge have to put up with it cos SL can't deal with the problem they have.

They're evidently not big enough, as the clubs with academies (and therefore bigger squads) don't need DR.

This can't be just palmed off by saying "ban DR" and "its a super league issue". Evidently its a Championship issue too or we wouldn't be discussing it here. Go down the "its super league issue" then SL clubs will quickly start looking at the money going to the Championship and think, hmm we could use that to fund a fully professional reserves set up.

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So again it's the old argument , SL fans are only interested in improving SL , and Championship fans want what's best for the Championship 

I wonder, was DR thought up by a Super League chairman or a Championship one? Or a bit of both?

16 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Bring back rationing too we never had any fat people!

How many player's are in the squads of your and Hela's clubs, surely having them all playing each week in the clubs colours is better than sitting on their backsides in the stands,  they are all not our on DR or Loan.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

They're evidently not big enough, as the clubs with academies (and therefore bigger squads) don't need DR.

Course they are.... as to a previous post, fev could have a squad of thirty.... but if we have goulding Briscoe Newman etc made available to us, then leigh will seek to redress the balance.

Course they are.... as to a previous post, fev could have a squad of thirty.... but if we have goulding Briscoe Newman etc made available to us, then leigh will seek to redress the balance.

So the problem is clubs having better players available to them meaning other clubs do the same and thus increase the standard of the competition?

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

So the problem is clubs having better players available to them meaning other clubs do the same and thus increase the standard of the competition?

And yet few fans of those clubs are happy with it , maybe a situation where clubs using DR cannot enter the promotion play offs ?

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

How many player's are in the squads of your and Hela's clubs, surely having them all playing each week in the clubs colours is better than sitting on their backsides in the stands,  they are all not our on DR or Loan.

They do play in our colours each week, our "U19s" are our reserves and players from number 24 onwards are in that category of player because its more economical to have those spots filled by young players than 28 year olds with no chance of making the first team.

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

And yet few fans of those clubs are happy with it , maybe a situation where clubs using DR cannot enter the promotion play offs ?

That could be an avenue explored yes and would be on the more extreme end of measures to change DR.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Jesus..... are you being deliberately obtuse?

For reasons I've have covered many times on here.... the system is loathed down here in the sludge.

Read back for what I cite are the issues. If you disagree, or like HW believe I make a vacuous argument, c'est la vie. That's life. We disagree.

I would like to see the system scrapped entirely.

Jesus..... are you being deliberately obtuse?

For reasons I've have covered many times on here.... the system is loathed down here in the sludge.

Read back for what I cite are the issues. If you disagree, or like HW believe I make a vacuous argument, c'est la vie. That's life. We disagree.

I would like to see the system scrapped entirely.

No, I'm just pointing out that it becomes a classic moanathon whose grievances don't hold up under examination and that the solutions offered aren't actually solutions at all.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

No, I'm just pointing out that it becomes a classic moanathon whose grievances don't hold up under examination and that the solutions offered aren't actually solutions at all.

What solutions are required if it is scrapped, what can't you understand that us as fans of the recieving clubs dont want it, I am actually not bothered if it helps Leeds or Saints or anyone else for that matter.

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Well.... perhaps not the solution for the SL club. Id be happy to watch championship rugby without dual reg players....

I haven't offered solutions 

27 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I wonder, was DR thought up by a Super League chairman or a Championship one? Or a bit of both?

It was entirely a SL construct. Most Championship clubs were very wary of it in the first incarnation and didn't form DR partnerships. When the regulations became more precise and a couple of clubs were then seen to take a step forward in terms of results, thanks to DR, the others scrambled on board with varying degrees of success.

The real benefits of DR if any are entirely determined by the SL club. If they view it as a partnership with genuine mutual benefits it can work very well; if they simply see it as something to exploit to their benefit then it turns sour very quickly. I have seen both circumstance operate at my club.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

20 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That could be an avenue explored yes and would be on the more extreme end of measures to change DR.

It could easily make the Championship a 5 club competition , which in truth it already is 

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

What solutions are required if it is scrapped, what can't you understand that us as fans of the recieving clubs dont want it, I am actually not bothered if it helps Leeds or Saints or anyone else for that matter.

Of course you're not and I wouldn't expect you to be bothered.

But as I posted earlier, long term loans with quick return clauses, short term loans, rolling loans, joint academies even etc. The clubs that like the system will find a way to continue it under a different guise like how prohibition didn't stop alcohol in the 1920s. 

Gubrats suggested clubs with DR can't qualify for the finals series, I've suggested limits on players numbers and periods of DR/Loans.

6 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

It was entirely a SL construct. Most Championship clubs were very wary of it in the first incarnation and didn't form DR partnerships. When the regulations became more precise and a couple of clubs were then seen to take a step forward in terms of results, thanks to DR, the others scrambled on board with varying degrees of success.

The real benefits of DR if any are entirely determined by the SL club. If they view it as a partnership with genuine mutual benefits it can work very well; if they simply see it as something to exploit to their benefit then it turns sour very quickly. I have seen both circumstance operate at my club.

Totally agree mate, there's also an element where DR is an admission of the current position of some clubs their fans would rather not accept as reality.

11 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Well.... perhaps not the solution for the SL club. Id be happy to watch championship rugby without dual reg players....

I haven't offered solutions 

Thats fine, do you feel the same about loanees?

You have, "ban DR", which is limited as a solution for reasons I've pointed out.

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It could easily make the Championship a 5 club competition , which in truth it already is 

To be fair you could probably apply this description to almost any league in every UK sport. That's just the way it is.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived