Bristol All Golds

35 minutes ago, RoverBear said:

It's a nice idea, but isn't this 8 or so years too late? If this was going to happen surely it should have been just before the WC so they could be ready to capitalise. Will anyone in Bristol care? 

How many teams have now declared league one ambitions? Belgrade, Dublin, Bristol, Boston, Worcester.  

I want to expand and grow the game, but is doing it in this haphazard way actually harming more than it's doing good? Do we try and spread ourselves so thin we can't actually embed anywhere. 

I say this as someone who's been at the sharp end for nearly 10 years in 'non-traditional' areas, it just doesn't stack up to me. 

We never capitalised on the last World Cup as a sport or as a governing body, I agree, however, the Uni of Gloucestershire All Golds did join League One in 2013, before the World Cup. 

Will anyone in Bristol care? Possibly. It won’t be a huge number but it would appear that with an Academy lined up and links to colleges and Universities, that there will be a pathway for players and hopefully parents and family turn to watching the game. 

I don’t think it’s a bad thing that teams are expressing an interest in League One and I don’t think it’s a bad thing that League One hasn’t taken many of these teams expressing an interest on, either. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

We never capitalised on the last World Cup as a sport or as a governing body, I agree, however, the Uni of Gloucestershire All Golds did join League One in 2013, before the World Cup. 

to be fair we've don that a few times.. 

Wales after 95 and Bristol after 13 are 2 glaring missed opportunities to build... but that would have taken the RFL stepping in and really giving some support (something we know they are not good at).. instead they just wait to see who gets interested enough to do all the work themselves.. and wonder why it never bloody works!

1 minute ago, RP London said:

to be fair we've don that a few times.. 

Wales after 95 and Bristol after 13 are 2 glaring missed opportunities to build... but that would have taken the RFL stepping in and really giving some support (something we know they are not good at).. instead they just wait to see who gets interested enough to do all the work themselves.. and wonder why it never bloody works!

The one thing I desperately wanted the game to take from the 13 RLWC was the marketing and advertising. They managed to pull something like 7000+ into a ground in Bristol to watch two minnows of the game. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The one thing I desperately wanted the game to take from the 13 RLWC was the marketing and advertising. They managed to pull something like 7000+ into a ground in Bristol to watch two minnows of the game. 

yep.. when things work we never learn a lesson from it either!

Could certainly be a success - I can't see any reason why a Bristol based team, with the right PR and link up with a local brewery (!), couldn't get decent (by L1 standards) crowds "IF" they are competitive and that's the issue for me. What's the plan in terms of attracting players in the future? All Golds strategy of recruiting from the student game didn't deliver on the field, but I really hope this works. 

42 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I'd say the RLWC 2021 is the direct descendant of that thinking.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I'd say the RLWC 2021 is the direct descendant of that thinking.

When you look at the stadiums booked for next year its the most ambitious yet sadly I think it will have to be the 2022 World Cup and a decision will have to be made at least in January.

Archived