Talking Pictures TV channel

Starting a thread, because a discussion began elsewhere and was derailing the original topic. A great example of a cottage industry in the digital age.

Only available on FreeView if you have a HD receiver (either TV or a set-top box), but broadcast in SD. They can't afford the really famous movies or TV shows, so they broadcast what they can afford... and it has been a huge success. They can't afford an online catch-up service yet either.

Movies, serials and documentaries from yesteryear, but rarely the obvious choices. Occasionally they turn the channel over to a guest for a whole day, so said guest can show all their favourites (subject to availability/cost) for 24 hours.

One of my favourites that they have shown a few times is 'Hannay', the Robert Powell spin-off from his version of 'The 39 Steps'. I never came across this when it was originally shown, but it is great. They have also recently shown the Children's TV game show 'Runaround'.

https://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/schedule/ 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

As said in the other thread its being able to watch the period background... the streets and street scenes, the cars, etc etc.

As well as some good movies...

My missus and I will always check to see what's on if nowt, which is often, of interest on the other main channels.   That is before cutting across to netflix if we are desperate, although that only comes after doing a jigsaw....

we knows how to live it up here yer knows.

Love this channel, always check to see whats's on.  Some very good films and documentaries.

I watched a film last week, sorry can't remember its name, but is was made in 1930's/1940's and the 'stars' were obviously all from that there London, but as it was set in Yorkshire the accents were hilarious, it was exactly like when Harry Enfield took the mickey of films where posh people try to talk northern.

Am currently watching Enemy At The Door. The series was originally shown between 1978 and 1980 and dealt with the German occupation of Guernsey during WW2.   A good series of the kind we used to do so well (and you keep expecting the SS officer (Simon Cadell) to suddenly shout Hi De Hi.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

37 minutes ago, Exiled Townie said:

Love this channel, always check to see whats's on.  Some very good films and documentaries.

I watched a film last week, sorry can't remember its name, but is was made in 1930's/1940's and the 'stars' were obviously all from that there London, but as it was set in Yorkshire the accents were hilarious, it was exactly like when Harry Enfield took the mickey of films where posh people try to talk northern.

Am currently watching Enemy At The Door. The series was originally shown between 1978 and 1980 and dealt with the German occupation of Guernsey during WW2.   A good series of the kind we used to do so well (and you keep expecting the SS officer (Simon Cadell) to suddenly shout Hi De Hi.

I love awkward attempts at accents in old movies - one of my favourites is what I call RADA Cockney, where an actress with a cut-glass RP accent throws in some clunky "gor blimeys".

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I love awkward attempts at accents in old movies - one of my favourites is what I call RADA Cockney, where an actress with a cut-glass RP accent throws in some clunky "gor blimeys".

Modern dialogue coaches have made this pleasure more rare, but there's always 'The Simpsons', whenever they have a British or Australian character.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

I see Jack The Ripper is on tonight . I’ll put that on record as I remember it was pretty good , and I’m a big Michael Caine fan . I think also I recorded defence of the realm off this channel , which is one of the best British 80s thrillers 

This channel is great.  I especially like 1940-50s B&W movies spotting  the likes of John Laurie etc.  

Also some easy watching 70- 80s stuff like The Gentle Touch.  Is this channel where I recently watched Van der Valk?  Fab cars and iconic theme! 

On 18/10/2020 at 14:12, Futtocks said:

Talking Pictures recently showed the swinging sixties film "Smashing Time", which featured Lynn Redgrave doing the worst RADA Northern, "turned out nice again" accent of all time.

On 18/10/2020 at 14:12, Futtocks said:

All working class and villainous scallywags on Basil Rathbone’s Holmes films talk in great cockney accents  . ‘ Cor blimey guv’nor you got me bang to rights so you ‘av ‘ . Maybe very common up to no good folk talked like that in them days ? It gave good material for Mr Cholmondley-Warner anyway ...

11 hours ago, Charlie RL said:

This channel is great.  I especially like 1940-50s B&W movies spotting  the likes of John Laurie etc.  

Also some easy watching 70- 80s stuff like The Gentle Touch.  Is this channel where I recently watched Van der Valk?  Fab cars and iconic theme! 

Yeah, original Van der Valk was cool, and foreign, almost exotic in the 70's. Amsterdam.

12 hours ago, Charlie RL said:

A very popular theme tune, too!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 months later...

I watched The Green Man starring Alistair Sim today.

Very enjoyable.

A great story on his Wikipedia entry that most people are convinced Sim starred in The Ladykillers, even if they just watched that film.   That include me!   Fooled by Alec Guinness apparently.  I will watch closely next time! 🧐

• 2 months later...

I know it's a while since you posted this but thanks Futtocks for doing it. I have only seen it today and have been watching on Sky 328. Loved the 1956 Robin Hood (loads of young lad memories there) and spotting Nicholas Parsons. Looking forward to more from this channel.

35 minutes ago, Rodill Rover said:

I know it's a while since you posted this but thanks Futtocks for doing it. I have only seen it today and have been watching on Sky 328. Loved the 1956 Robin Hood (loads of young lad memories there) and spotting Nicholas Parsons. Looking forward to more from this channel.

They are pretty active on Twitter, posting what's coming soon, as well as lists of all the subtitled show they have for hearing-impaired fans. They also respond to requests, although their answer is usually that availability is down to licensing, but they'll add it to the (ever-growing) list.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 07/03/2021 at 18:09, Rodill Rover said:

Loved the 1956 Robin Hood (loads of young lad memories there) and spotting Nicholas Parsons. Looking forward to more from this channel.

I watched Robin Hood today.  Good fun.  It is a little before my time but the theme tune is so familiar it must have been big in its day.   🏹

Archived