Aude Cathares v Catalans Dragons 2015

audois

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

It was this game that really highlighted the potential and latent support of the French game.

With Toulouse, Catalan, Aude, Avignon and Aquitaine there's the foundation of something decent in France. 

On another note, I watched three good teams play for Aude clubs last weekend. What would be your combined Aude Cathars team from the current clubs and how strong do you think that team is? 

19 hours ago, The Daddy said:

It was this game that really highlighted the potential and latent support of the French game.

With Toulouse, Catalan, Aude, Avignon and Aquitaine there's the foundation of something decent in France. 

On another note, I watched three good teams play for Aude clubs last weekend. What would be your combined Aude Cathars team from the current clubs and how strong do you think that team is? 

L Albert

Simon

Cardace

Stacul

Maria

Moa

Margelet

Marginet

Guasch (all ex-Dragons)

Lolo

Gagan

Drodrolagi

Tuilagi 

Drew

Levido  (all Antipodeans)

Canet

Escamille

Herold

Yesa (all French Internationals)

Mullally (SL Leeds/Toronto)

20 players there.

Would it hold it's own against any Championship side?

Would like to see it against both the Dragons and TO as warm-up games. Pre-season.

Would like Aude Cathares to come together each year and play in the Challenge Cup. Alternating venues year on year.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

18 hours ago, langpark said:

It was a one-off I believe.

I remember it well, it was Todd Carney's first appearance for Catalans too. 

I think they played two.

2 hours ago, audois said:

L Albert

Simon

Cardace

Stacul

Maria

Moa

Margelet

Marginet

Guasch (all ex-Dragons)

Lolo

Gagan

Drodrolagi

Tuilagi 

Drew

Levido  (all Antipodeans)

Canet

Escamille

Herold

Yesa (all French Internationals)

Mullally (SL Leeds/Toronto)

20 players there.

Would it hold it's own against any Championship side?

Would like to see it against both the Dragons and TO as warm-up games. Pre-season.

Would like Aude Cathares to come together each year and play in the Challenge Cup. Alternating venues year on year.

I think that team would more than hold its own against most championship sides. 

No Lillian Albert?

2016 Match here.

The 2016 game had more about it. The Occticanie anthem song alongside Catalans 'El Segadors' in the lead-up. On the morning of the match there were matches at U19/U16 levels between Cathares-Catalans all sides kitted-out in their distinctive  colours. It really looked like it was going some where.

Yes but getting three clubs to work together and risk losing the bragging rights, their team and stadium made it very difficult for the presidents. They would have played out of carcassonne and as with most mergers the other two teams may have just fizzled out. Even if the three teams continued in elite-1 they would have lost all their best players to aude/carcassonne whilst still  investing in the aude team, this is what happened when the dragons went into super league as all the best players went there and even now all the best younger players go to the xiii catalans team hoping to get into super league. I was all for it at the time but i was just involved with a lower level team as player coach and not involved in the elite.  Too many french teams in the uk makes the elite even smaller, just look how Toulouse are struggling in elite 1.

5 hours ago, barnyia said:

Yes but getting three clubs to work together and risk losing the bragging rights, their team and stadium made it very difficult for the presidents. They would have played out of carcassonne and as with most mergers the other two teams may have just fizzled out. Even if the three teams continued in elite-1 they would have lost all their best players to aude/carcassonne whilst still  investing in the aude team, this is what happened when the dragons went into super league as all the best players went there and even now all the best younger players go to the xiii catalans team hoping to get into super league. I was all for it at the time but i was just involved with a lower level team as player coach and not involved in the elite.  Too many french teams in the uk makes the elite even smaller, just look how Toulouse are struggling in elite 1.

Totally agree what is needed is for Toulouse to be in SL (ASAP) and for the Elite 1 to get back on its feet again with 12 teams.

All the talk of extra French teams over and above the Dragons and Toulouse in SL is madness and will not do French Rugby League any favours.

I would prefer the Elite teams to play in an anglo French cup but that would be on the condition that we took it seriously as the French certainly would.

Paul

The biggest gate TO had when playing at Blagnac was a pre-season game against Dragons (4000). This last season at Domec  Dragons-TO (4500). These gates with Aude-Dragons (5000) and (6000) like the other two got the fans out

9 hours ago, barnyia said:

I'm not advacating teams merging at all. But playing in the Challenge Cup each year could work. No reason why these games could not be played in Lezignan and Limoux as well. Something special to look forward too. Bringing the Aude treize together.

I'm hoping that TO Elite improve a lot from last year. They gave St Esteve a real run for their money at Stade Gilbert Brutus - ahead on the hour mark with their winger  Depeyre scoring 4 tries - a week after the Catalans had been competitive at Carcassonne. Toulouse reservers have beaten St Gaudens and Palau so far - these  teams having run both Carcassonne and St Esteve close as well. Add on to that the 2nd best try scorer so far in the comp with 6 tries is the TO hooker Bouscayrol. This lad along with Lima and Pezet  are being talked about to be part of Houles’ Championship group in 2021. Give them time.

22 minutes ago, audois said:

I'm hoping that TO Elite improve a lot from last year. They gave St Esteve a real run for their money at Stade Gilbert Brutus - ahead on the hour mark with their winger  Depeyre scoring 4 tries - a week after the Catalans had been competitive at Carcassonne. Toulouse reservers have beaten St Gaudens and Palau so far - these  teams having run both Carcassonne and St Esteve close as well. Add on to that the 2nd best try scorer so far in the comp with 6 tries is the TO hooker Bouscayrol. This lad along with Lima and Pezet  are being talked about to be part of Houles’ Championship group in 2021. Give them time.

I think they will improve but it will be 2021/22.  Although from a video and not close in, they looked a very ‘green’ team v Esteve, especially in decision making from the halves.  Similar v Lezignan.  TO have some decent players but not enough muscle to set a regular platform or defend the attritional way both the above play. 

I think they also got slugged by VSL?  Not sure, maybe I am mixed up with Lezignan.  Limoux will be a test for them as well.  

Great league this.  Why we hear of teams setting their stall out for League 1 entry baffles me.  The common sense and cost effective way is improve Elite 1 and get into the schools & colleges!

1 hour ago, audois said:

Are the Toulouse reserves playing at the old ground Gordon (Miss going there:) and will look to pop up for a game when things are back to normal)

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

I think they will improve but it will be 2021/22.  Although from a video and not close in, they looked a very ‘green’ team v Esteve, especially in decision making from the halves.  Similar v Lezignan.  TO have some decent players but not enough muscle to set a regular platform or defend the attritional way both the above play. 

I think they also got slugged by VSL?  Not sure, maybe I am mixed up with Lezignan.  Limoux will be a test for them as well.  

Great league this.  Why we hear of teams setting their stall out for League 1 entry baffles me.  The common sense and cost effective way is improve Elite 1 and get into the schools & colleges!

The TO reserve team job is To give to the pro team new french player every year. And that what they do : jusseaume, marcon, ader, puech, marion, lima, sangare, etc.. next will be : pezet, Bouscayrol, Garcia...  building for the future instead of buying antipodeans... it takes time To build. Dont want To be Toronto bis... 

11 minutes ago, PECETTO said:

The TO reserve team job is To give to the pro team new french player every year. And that what they do : jusseaume, marcon, ader, puech, marion, lima, sangare, etc.. next will be : pezet, Bouscayrol, Garcia...  building for the future instead of buying antipodeans... it takes time To build. Dont want To be Toronto bis... 

Key is whether those coming through are up to SL level though - they have to think above Champs level now.

Not going to bite on the ‘get rid of the Etrangers/pick French only bandwagon mate as doing that could see them remain in Champs for some time. 

TO didn’t do too badly with the Bentleys services or Hepi.  Haven’t they just signed Paulo and Dominic Peyroux?

22 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Are the Toulouse reserves playing at the old ground Gordon (Miss going there:) and will look to pop up for a game when things are back to normal)

Paul - Yes back at Minimes. The old granstand gone now. I think the Championship side train at Stade Ernest Wallon as well.

Archived