More good news from Fiji

Silktails Australian mission a success, but some players are doing it tough - Pacific Beat - ABC Radio Australia

Some interesting stuff in here.

"The Fijian team wanted to provide a pathway for players in their 28-man squad into higher grades in the Australian domestic competition, as well as secure a finals berth for the 2021 season.

"Three of its players have been called into the Sydney Roosters' NRL set up.

"Meanwhile there is a clear appetite in Fiji to see more of the Silktails in action, with the first match to be streamed live producing record breaking figures.

"Talking to the NSW Rugby League post match, it was the highest global audience that they've ever had, and we do get inundated with requests (from Fiji) about when the next match will be televised."

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Silktails Australian mission a success, but some players are doing it tough - Pacific Beat - ABC Radio Australia

Some interesting stuff in here.

"The Fijian team wanted to provide a pathway for players in their 28-man squad into higher grades in the Australian domestic competition, as well as secure a finals berth for the 2021 season.

"Three of its players have been called into the Sydney Roosters' NRL set up.

"Meanwhile there is a clear appetite in Fiji to see more of the Silktails in action, with the first match to be streamed live producing record breaking figures.

"Talking to the NSW Rugby League post match, it was the highest global audience that they've ever had, and we do get inundated with requests (from Fiji) about when the next match will be televised."

I know of the giant fullback/centre playing for the roosters jersey flegg side and the halfback/ hooker playing for north Sydney but whos the 3rd?

On 31/05/2021 at 22:51, Cumbrian Mackem said:

I know of the giant fullback/centre playing for the roosters jersey flegg side and the halfback/ hooker playing for north Sydney but whos the 3rd?

Sorry mate I don`t know any more than I read in the article. Pretty incredible strike rate though isn`t it, three players progressing already.

3 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Sorry mate I don`t know any more than I read in the article. Pretty incredible strike rate though isn`t it, three players progressing already.

Can you link the article?

I dare say they’ll be a few more that are signed up before the seasons end.

2 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Silktails draw their round 14 game against Windsor wolves 24-24.

I caught roughly the last quarter on livestream.

Silktails made a clean break right up the middle in the final minute, ball-carrier hauled down a metre short. That was tackle 5, one pass left and another Silktail was halted a metre short. So, tackle 6 handover, clearly signalled by ref. Despite this commentator shouted "the referee says it`s a knock-on".

It`s about time Australian psychiatrists officially classified "Rugby League knock-on derangement syndrome", so that sufferers can have treatment to stop their knock-on hallucinations.

43 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I caught roughly the last quarter on livestream.

Silktails made a clean break right up the middle in the final minute, ball-carrier hauled down a metre short. That was tackle 5, one pass left and another Silktail was halted a metre short. So, tackle 6 handover, clearly signalled by ref. Despite this commentator shouted "the referee says it`s a knock-on".

It`s about time Australian psychiatrists officially classified "Rugby League knock-on derangement syndrome", so that sufferers can have treatment to stop their knock-on hallucinations.

Was the silktail player not trying to put the ball down over the line on the last tackle perhaps?

23 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Was the silktail player not trying to put the ball down over the line on the last tackle perhaps?

He was comprehensively wrapped up a metre short. Tackle 6 complete - handover. Check it out yourself, it`s on the NSWRL Facebook page.

I watch a lot of lower grade Aussie RL. The commentators spot phantom knock-ons everywhere. It`s an obsession.

A tackled player can accidentally kick the ball forward at the PTB, and they even label that a knock-on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Put this on here and not NRL club news because I thought it`s evidence of the further development of Rugby League in Fiji and the continued development of that countries depth.

Fijian Rugby Sevens duo to join Cowboys for 2022 season - Cowboys

A Tokyo Olympic Gold Medallist and fellow Fijian Rugby Sevens star are set to join the North Queensland Toyota Cowboys for the 2022 NRL season.

One`s a back and the other a forward with the latter looking like a real handful, both will train with the Cowboys first grade squad but will be available to play for one of the Cowboys three feeder clubs as they make their League transition.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Couple of bits of news out of Fiji.

More Fijians To Play In NRL (fijisun.com.fj)

Expect more Fijian players to be playing in next year’s Australia’s National Rugby League (NRL) competition.

This was after Fijian Bati head coach Josaia Rabele confirmed that former Ratu Kadavulevu School centre, Solomone Naiduki, has been named in the Parramatta Eels 30-member squad.

Then 20-year-old, Vuate Karawalevu is part of the Sydney Roosters off season training programme after a sterling performance for the Roosters Under-21 side.

Also, former sevens’ rugby players, Iosefo Masi and Taniela Sadrugu are with the North Queensland Cowboys giving their best to get the two available spots in the squad.

Rabele plans to include them in the Bati squad for the June Test match against the Papua New Guinea Kumuls in Australia.

“I want to test them out before including them in the World Cup squad.”

Amazing when you get the pathways right the talent will flow.

Fiji National Rugby League And FMF Seal Five-Year Deal (fijisun.com.fj)

Christmas came early to the Fiji National Rugby League yesterday following an undisclosed five-year sponsorship by FMF and the sealing of the Ram Sami partnership.

FMF is now a major sponsor of the Vodafone Fiji Bati and an official partner of FNRL’s community and pathway programmes.

FNRL chairman Viliame Naupoto said: “In spite of the impact of this pandemic, we remained optimistic about the future of the sport.”

“We stood committed to bringing in genuine partnerships to grow and develop our game.”

Good stuff in Fiji. FMF are a food conglomerate who are listed on the stock exchange and whos` business is spread across several divisions.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Couple of bits of news out of Fiji.

More Fijians To Play In NRL (fijisun.com.fj)

Expect more Fijian players to be playing in next year’s Australia’s National Rugby League (NRL) competition.

This was after Fijian Bati head coach Josaia Rabele confirmed that former Ratu Kadavulevu School centre, Solomone Naiduki, has been named in the Parramatta Eels 30-member squad.

Then 20-year-old, Vuate Karawalevu is part of the Sydney Roosters off season training programme after a sterling performance for the Roosters Under-21 side.

Also, former sevens’ rugby players, Iosefo Masi and Taniela Sadrugu are with the North Queensland Cowboys giving their best to get the two available spots in the squad.

Rabele plans to include them in the Bati squad for the June Test match against the Papua New Guinea Kumuls in Australia.

“I want to test them out before including them in the World Cup squad.”

Amazing when you get the pathways right the talent will flow.

Fiji National Rugby League And FMF Seal Five-Year Deal (fijisun.com.fj)

Christmas came early to the Fiji National Rugby League yesterday following an undisclosed five-year sponsorship by FMF and the sealing of the Ram Sami partnership.

FMF is now a major sponsor of the Vodafone Fiji Bati and an official partner of FNRL’s community and pathway programmes.

FNRL chairman Viliame Naupoto said: “In spite of the impact of this pandemic, we remained optimistic about the future of the sport.”

“We stood committed to bringing in genuine partnerships to grow and develop our game.”

Good stuff in Fiji. FMF are a food conglomerate who are listed on the stock exchange and whos` business is spread across several divisions.

A further indication that the mid-season internationals will be going ahead this year which is brilliant news.

2021 Silktails Captain Penioni Tagituimua is also on a train and trial deal at the dogs at the moment. 

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2021/09/20/naiqama-on-board-to-coach-silktails-in-2022/

This article is from a while back but doesn't appear to have been posted here. Indicates the Silktails will transition to being a side containing only U23s by the 2023 season, potentially a smart move as realistically NRL scouts will primarily look toward youngsters but you do risk missing late bloomers like Maika Sivo. To me that move also suggests the side will be looking to stay in the RMC as opposed to moving up to NSW Cup in the future.

In an ideal world you would probably run both a junior side and a senior side in NSW competitions but whether that's feasible in the short-term may be another issue. U23s in RMC may end up being an astute compromise that addresses some of the issues the Hunters have had with transitioning talent to the NRL.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, UTK said:

U23s in RMC may end up being an astute compromise that addresses some of the issues the Hunters have had with transitioning talent to the NRL.

Apparently there will be a Hunters v Silktails trial game next year. Not sure whether it will be played in QLD or NSW.

Potentially this fixture could become annual and grow to a medium-sized pre-season event, similar to Indigenous v Maori. Probably not though, if it`s open-age Hunters v under-23s Silktails.

• Like 2

I know we say this alot, but would it hurt if the international games were actually played in one of the home nations. Surely PNG v Fiji would do more for the game in Suva or Port Moresby then in Campbelltown, Penrith or Parramatta. Alas it is better for Foxtel isn't it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rlno1 said:

I know we say this alot, but would it hurt if the international games were actually played in one of the home nations. Surely PNG v Fiji would do more for the game in Suva or Port Moresby then in Campbelltown, Penrith or Parramatta. Alas it is better for Foxtel isn't it.

Yeah completely agree, they've held games in both Suva, Port Moresby and Apia post-season so there really is no reason why future mid-season fixtures can't be held domestically as well (other than expense).

PNG in particular will guarantee a full house and likely has the best setup when considering broadcasting infrastructure.

On 09/12/2021 at 16:26, rlno1 said:

That’s what happens when the NRL are in controlled of the Pacific Island nations international schedules, and not IRL or the local administration themselves. 

Edited by Taniwha Warriors
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Not just a significant amount of money for Fiji's RWC campaign, but handed over in the traditional form of a giant cheque!

https://www.fijivillage.com/sports/Fiji-Bati-receives-half-a-million-dollars-support-for-Rugby-League-World-Cup-preparations-8f4rx5/

154536431062a15851990ea35fcd23.jpg

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 months later...