Door open for Gavin Henson Henson to push for RL world cup place in Welsh squad

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I’m not sure if that would be a good or bad thing. Good that it would get publicity, but maybe would look bad if a 39 year old playing a new sport could get in a WC squad after a year of playing the game? 

I don't think it would be anywhere near as bad as you fear - he's a well known figure and would likely get eyeballs on the Welsh team. Given his history within Rugby Union, there's years of pass, catch, run, tackle experience that transfers over. In addition, I don't think I've seen any other stories about the Welsh squad in one of the national papers!

That said, if they brought him into the squad, it would likely be as a "mentor figure" like the article mentions. Yes he might play, but it's really about the effect he can have on the squad, especially if he sets high standards at training, demands a lot of the younger lads etc.

40 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Good PR but old Gav should concentrate on getting through his first league game and take it from there

I agree but if he made the WC squad it would give the tournament a lot if great publicity- don't know anyone who doesn't want him to do well.

44 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Good PR but old Gav should concentrate on getting through his first league game and take it from there

I would say it's wishful thinking to expect him to still be around by the time the World Cup comes around, 10 games would be a very optimistic bet.

Archived