Sun 18 Apr: SL: Hull FC v Warrington Wolves KO 15:00

Who will win?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull FC
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/04/21 at 14:30

55 minutes ago, Scubby said:

No according to the league table on the official SL site. Even they don't know what they are doing. Has unbeaten Hull 3 (2-1-0) on 66.6% and Warrington 3 (1-1-1) on 25%

I have a suspicion that SL talked about a 'wins percentage' in which case the percentages you mention, Scubby, would be correct.  In other words, a draw is no better than a defeat as both are not a win!  It would have made more sense to have an available points percentage, on the basis of a win being two points and a draw one, in which case the Wire and Hull FC percentages would be as Les Tonks Sidestep suggested in an earlier post.

Meanwhile, the dear old BBC, on its website. cheerfully lists teams on the basis of points gained for winning and drawing and with on-the-field points shown as points difference.  Good to see it has no truck with these new fangled, Johnny-come-lately ideas!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flash Scores has the table as I would expect it to be, with Hull at 0.833 and Warrington at 0.5

Frustrated to concede right on the hooter and fail to see the game out, but we didn't play well by any means (neither did Warrington tbf). As I mentioned earlier, when Sneyd misses 3 or 4 makeable drop goal attempts you just know its one of those days. 

The effort and the defence was once again very good. When you are missing some key players and play poorly and still come away with a draw against one of the better sides in the comp then you have to happy enough.

I still don't like the golden point concept tbh. Especially when you can still get a draw anyway. 10 minutes of heart palpitations just to end up with the same result that you had after 80 minutes!

36 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Hull have taken quite a few heavy beatings over the last few years in between decent performances. Be interesting to see what they could achieve with any sort of consistency.

A consistent Hull FC would be quite a serious threat to the top of the league.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Çhris Hill fortunate in how good Daryl Clarke is.

8-8.

Just watched the highlights. Hull did really well to hold up Clarke but what an offload he came up with to give Hill a walk in.

Looked like Mamo for Wire and & Lane for Hull had a big say in the outcome too.

5 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

Just watched the highlights. Hull did really well to hold up Clarke but what an offload he came up with to give Hill a walk in.

Looked like Mamo for Wire and & Lane for Hull had a big say in the outcome too.

I was just thinking what a great piece of defending it was and he somehow smuggled it out. No idea how he did it. It looked like a conjuring trick of some kind.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I hope the Golden Point for League games is scrapped next season. The Aussies might accept it, but i don’t think most RL fan’s in the U.K. can. I can understand having it for cup game’s and play offs, but what is wrong with a club having a point each after 80mins. 

2 hours ago, Josef K said:

I hope the Golden Point for League games is scrapped next season. The Aussies might accept it, but i don’t think most RL fan’s in the U.K. can. I can understand having it for cup game’s and play offs, but what is wrong with a club having a point each after 80mins. 

I’d prefer ‘golden try’. Could make for some really exciting play rather than just trying to set up a drop goal 

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

In a league game, there is no point. In a Cup game, I see that they need a winner on the day, but otherwise a draw should be a draw at the end of 80 minutes. But the decision was made by people who either haven't played in decades or who have never played at all.

Golden point. A solution to a problem that never existed.

Get rid of it. That 10 minutes may have been exciting but it wasn't Rugby 

3 hours ago, MZH said:

I still don't like the golden point concept tbh. Especially when you can still get a draw anyway. 10 minutes of heart palpitations just to end up with the same result that you had after 80 minutes!

Agree.    And with the inevitable players tiring, we might get more injuries.

And there is the huge injustice of the coin toss, where the team receiving the ball having the 1st chance of a DG.

With Sneyd in the side, the period of GP is usually over in a maximum of two sets for Hull FC fans, so an extra couple of minutes doesn't detract from the quality of the game as a whole.

Yesterday was different. We even had a farcical attempt from within our own half*, I think it might have been Connor. With Wire not getting anywhere near, it was like a slow motion game of bloody ping pong.

I'm not sure if the GP will stay with us for many more seasons, like someone has already said, it's a solution to a none existent problem.

(I reserve the right to change my mind the next time Sneyd wins us a GP game in the first 60 seconds...)

*Not all attempts from in your own half are farcical, I recall the late great Steve Prescott managing a DG in the last few minutes of a game at Thrum Hall that he kicked from within his own half to win the match for Hull.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

6 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

With Sneyd in the side, the period of GP is usually over in a maximum of two sets for Hull FC fans, so an extra couple of minutes doesn't detract from the quality of the game as a whole.

Yesterday was different. We even had a farcical attempt from within our own half*, I think it might have been Connor. With Wire not getting anywhere near, it was like a slow motion game of bloody ping pong.

I'm not sure if the GP will stay with us for many more seasons, like someone has already said, it's a solution to a none existent problem.

(I reserve the right to change my mind the next time Sneyd wins us a GP game in the first 60 seconds...)

*Not all attempts from in your own half are farcical, I recall the late great Steve Prescott managing a DG in the last few minutes of a game at Thrum Hall that he kicked from within his own half to win the match for Hull.

Sneyd himself won a game against Wakefield with a drop goal from his own half in 2018 but the remarkable thing about Prekkie's effort was that we didn't even know he had that in his locker. I couldn't recall him ever dropping a goal for Hull before that or even attempting one.

As for yesterday, Hull and Warrington, as most teams do, played the GP period as if you're only allowed to win it with a drop goal. I liked what Salford did in the cup last year against Catalans (I think). After several futile drop goal attempts they changed tack, spread the ball wide against a tiring defence and won it with a try.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Archived