I share George Kings frustration

43 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Aren't we all mate, aren't we all.

GEORGE King admits it is frustrating to see Huddersfield fail to break through in his home town, while seeing Hull awash with rugby league gear.

The KR ace could have been a Giants player had they followed up initial interest before Tony Smith pushed for a reunion.
Had he gone there, it is a fair bet he would be less talked about as the Giants are hardly spoken about off the field, despite spending big on it.

King, who played for Huddersfield’s juniors, said: “You can’t take anything from Ken Davy with the finances he puts in there.

“But a lot of it is down to the marketing. Huddersfield’s a big geographical area but go around Hull city centre and it’s plastered with rugby league.

“Kids are wearing shirts and kicking balls – go around Huddersfield and it’s not very well thought of. The marketing isn’t great and the junior side has dwindled a hell of a lot since I played.

“My contract has come up a couple of times in my career and Huddersfield have showed an interest but it’s never quite worked out.

“There was a little interest last year but it never really fully materialised as clubs didn’t really know what finances they’d have available.

“Whereas KR were more adamant in the direction they wanted to go – as a professional player you look for that extra security.

“And with Tony, who I had at Warrington, there as coach it just made more sense to move there.”

King moved from Wakefield last year and has an unenviable record at Rovers of played seven, lost seven.

But that win is coming after seeing improvements in Smith’s side.

He added: “On a personal level, I seem to be losing a few games but I’m just going off this year alone.

“And we’re building nicely. You can see from the direction we’re going in with our performances that we can get one soon.”

55 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I get your point entirely. As an outsider I think it's a frustration Mr. Davey isn't a Bulls fan and at Odsal splashing the cash!!.  But at least he''s spending it on League and not Huddersfield town?

48 minutes ago, meast said:

Bit of  a strange comment, I suppose if he's comparing Huddersfield's academy set up to Hull KR's then even stranger!

On the other hand Huddersfield are producing top class young players through an outstanding academy set up, whereas Hull and Hull kr are not 

4 minutes ago, The storm said:

On the other hand Huddersfield are producing top class young players through an outstanding academy set up, whereas Hull and Hull kr are not 

Precisely my point, a strange comment to make when our academy systems are clearly working, around half of our first team squad have come through the academy systems, not to mention the likes of Jake Connor etc, 3 of our most recent graduates have just been called into the England training squad.

And considering there hasn't been an academy competition now for 2 seasons, of course it's dwindled, just like everyone else!

27 minutes ago, The storm said:

About 13 local players in Hulls squad this year.  Since the academy split with HKR we should see more.

Houghton, Taylor, Shaul (injures) and Bowden are regulars but youngsters McNamara, Brown coming back from injury), Fash, Lane, Scott, Wynn and Cator will all see plenty of first team action this year.  Matongo is lrecovering from knee injury and Ferriera will play at some stage.

Brett Hodgson appears to have a different approach in that if a layer is out, another comes in and fills his place.  If this is a young lad, it doesn’t matter.  

Just signed a Fijian though -Vilikijapani 😀

21 hours ago, meast said:

Bit of  a strange comment, I suppose if he's comparing Huddersfield's academy set up to Hull KR's then even stranger!

My thoughts exactly, I wonder what he meant by that. Obviously the Giants don’t have the same presence in Huddersfield as Hull KR in Hull but that is because the sport isn’t as popular. But before covid, I would’ve said it was as prominent as ever and should further now Davy has purchased Huddersfield YMCA and look to turn it into their training base, as well as community facilities. And the foundation has done some good work so the youth setup is as strong as ever in my opinion 

Archived