Wigan should replace Hastings with Shaun Johnson

Get Shaun Johnson signed up Wigan!

Even with George Williams available, he is not going to put bums on seats. Wigan have been on a slide over the last few years with crowds declining - even though they have stayed at the top. Shaun Johnson would suit the British game perfectly and would create a buzz in the town. Wigan would have to pay, but I don't think he would cost anywhere near as much these days given he is on the outer at Cronulla and struggling to find a club.

The timing looks good and you have actually traded up on Hastings. If you replace Hastings with Williams the reality is that it's as you were, and you are going to see no real commercial or fan bounce. Johnson still has that x-factor about him.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure Johnson is an upgrade over Hastings in terms of winning rugby. You need to see Hastings live in the flesh to appreciate how he's like a puppet-master pulling the strings.

Johnson is a more exciting player but he blows hot and cold.

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Not sure Johnson is an upgrade over Hastings in terms of winning rugby. You need to see Hastings live in the flesh to appreciate how he's like a puppet-master pulling the strings.

Johnson is a more exciting player but he blows hot and cold.

He is an upgrade on Hastings in terms of box office. Wigan are going to be in the top 3/4 regardless. Their policy of letting stars go and then just bringing them back (not always for the better) really doesn't excite fans. Wigan need to think more box office. Agree, Hasting is a good player - he's not a stepper 🙂 

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Get Shaun Johnson signed up Wigan!

Even with George Williams available, he is not going to put bums on seats. Wigan have been on a slide over the last few years with crowds declining - even though they have stayed at the top. Shaun Johnson would suit the British game perfectly and would create a buzz in the town. Wigan would have to pay, but I don't think he would cost anywhere near as much these days given he is on the outer at Cronulla and struggling to find a club.

The timing looks good and you have actually traded up on Hastings. If you replace Hastings with Williams the reality is that it's as you were, and you are going to see no real commercial or fan bounce. Johnson still has that x-factor about him.

Please, Please, Please Wigan sign Shaun Johnson !

He was once a great player but been utter garbage for about the last 4 years or so. 

Johnson has been living off past glories for years. A prancing show pony like him isn't the kind of player to fit into a team like Wigan as coaches like Lam & Wane before him wouldn't put up with defensive turnstiles like Johnson.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

4 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Please, Please, Please Wigan sign Shaun Johnson !

He was once a great player but been utter garbage for about the last 4 years or so. 

Johnson has been living off past glories for years. A prancing show pony like him isn't the kind of player to fit into a team like Wigan as coaches like Lam & Wane before him wouldn't put up with defensive turnstiles like Johnson.

I'm sure other teams were saying that when Saints signed loose cannon Ben Barba.

Barba was still at his peak having helped the Sharks win a Premiership in 2016 before joining Saints in 2017.

Johnson hasn't been anywhere near his peak for at least 4-5 years.

As I said, he WAS a great player - now he's just a has been living of past glories.

Just now, Saint Toppy said:

Barba was still at his peak having helped the Sharks win a Premiership in 2016 before joining Saints in 2017.

Johnson hasn't been anywhere near his peak for at least 4-5 years.

As I said, he WAS a great player - now he's just a has been living of past glories.

He is much nearer his past glories than Greg Inglis is to be fair.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

I wouldn't disagree with you on that one. Warrington have a history of signing 'big names' for publicity who ultimately never deliver and I suspect Inglis will just be another to add to the list

5 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

I wouldn't disagree with you on that one. Warrington have a history of signing 'big names' for publicity who ultimately never deliver and I suspect Inglis will just be another to add to the list

Wigan's policy of resigning players who ###### off has been an absolute disaster in terms of the player impact and the impact commercially (and through the gate). Wigan;s marketing department need to get a name they can get their teeth into - even if he is coming to SL because his flame has dimmed somewhat. He is still an excellent player with box office parts to his game.

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Inglis won’t be on the $1 million a season Johnson is on,so no thanks I’ll take Williams any day of the week over an aging inconsistent Johnson who’s coming back from serious injury.

Just now, Davo5 said:

Inglis won’t be on the $1 million a season Johnson is on,so no thanks I’ll take Williams any day of the week over an aging inconsistent Johnson who’s coming back from serious injury.

Johnson was offered only $400k by the Sharks to stay. Wigan could get him for $600-700k easily. Players like Johnson love being in the limelight. He would suit SL down to the ground.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Johnson was offered only $400k by the Sharks to stay. Wigan could get him for $600-700k easily. Players like Johnson love being in the limelight. He would suit SL down to the ground.

There’s a reason the Sharks have offered him a hugely reduced contract despite losing Townsend,the very same reason we shouldn’t waste a marquee place on him.

Just now, Davo5 said:

There’s a reason the Sharks have offered him a hugely reduced contract despite losing Townsend,the very same reason we shouldn’t waste a marquee place on him.

He is a risk but he did have a pretty impressive try assist ratio for the Sharks last season despite injuries. I am a fan of the game and suppose these are the type of players that get a neutral along to a Wigan game. George Williams returning isn't going to put a single £ back on the commercial side. That is sport the entertainment business. Wigan are at the top and winning regularly anyway. The club has singularly failed to maximise its status and commercial income in the last 5+ years. 

I'm not a fan of any SL club just say it how I see it.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Wigan's policy of resigning players who ###### off has been an absolute disaster in terms of the player impact and the impact commercially (and through the gate). Wigan;s marketing department need to get a name they can get their teeth into - even if he is coming to SL because his flame has dimmed somewhat. He is still an excellent player with box office parts to his game.

Stop making things up.  Assuming you have a team to support... just stay there

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Now you are taking the preverbial.  This thread should be blocked.

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Whilst the big-signings thing is generally true for Warrington (since 2013 anyway) I think you've wrongly put Inglis in that bracket.   He's on pennies compared to the marquee players in the league.  He wasn't being chased or sought out by Warrington, the idea of him spending a season in the UK came about from a chat with one of his friends over here, and his missus gets an opportunity to do her own horsey stuff with the Cheshire equestrian set-up.  

It's a marketing opportunity because he's a big name and the gear we sell (which Warrington tend to do well at) will probably cover his salary.   Will he make a big impact as a player?   Probably not, but we aren't blessed with many decent centres in super league.   He's also been great assisting with the younger players in the squad.

31 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Stop making things up.  Assuming you have a team to support... just stay there

I don't support a team. I have no axe to grind. What I have noticed is this painful decline in Wigan's attendances, commercial clout and general impact on the game compared with a decade ago. Before lockdown the club was struggling to limp into 5-figure crowds. That is a real shame and things need to change.

Just now, DavidM said:

Interesting that it was reported that the Warriors group was asked if they wanted him back and fair to say the response wasn’t encouraging for Shaun 

He had slagged them off before leaving and sulked a bit to be fair

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

He had slagged them off before leaving and sulked a bit to be fair

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I don't support a team. I have no axe to grind. What I have noticed is this painful decline in Wigan's attendances, commercial clout and general impact on the game compared with a decade ago. Before lockdown the club was struggling to limp into 5-figure crowds. That is a real shame and things need to change.

So signing a fading,inconsistent NRL player coming back from a major injury with a history of sulking & slagging off former clubs is a recipe for all Wigan’s so called woes ?

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

So signing a fading,inconsistent NRL player coming back from a major injury with a history of sulking & slagging off former clubs is a recipe for all Wigan’s so called woes ?

Not all but it would be a start. They do need to stop their slide from one of the biggest rugby brands in the UK to fading into obscurity. The rest of the rugby world (in both codes) is moving quickly past them. 

Archived