French Residency Rules

For "them" .... 

https://www.lerugbynistere.fr/news/reglement-la-regle-de-residence-a-5-ans-repoussee-a-2021-1008201525.php

Translates as 5 years up from 3 but not starting now until 31/12/2021, but that's a global rule.

I can't find an equivalent for RL though, I always thought it was 4 but I'm sure someone else will have a link to something relevent , maybe audois will be allong shortly 

37 minutes ago, kiggy said:

For "them" .... 

https://www.lerugbynistere.fr/news/reglement-la-regle-de-residence-a-5-ans-repoussee-a-2021-1008201525.php

Translates as 5 years up from 3 but not starting now until 31/12/2021, but that's a global rule.

I can't find an equivalent for RL though, I always thought it was 4 but I'm sure someone else will have a link to something relevent , maybe audois will be allong shortly 

It is five years, but until it changed (circa 2018) those who had qualified under the old 3 year could still play. We have to thank Mal Meninga and Semi Randradra for that when they used it to stiff Fiji despite Australia having dozens of elite players to choose from. Randradra qualified by living in Australia for 3 years but didn't qualify to play SOO that is how stupid it was and it has made it harder for countries like France as a result. 

36 minutes ago, Scubby said:

It is five years, but until it changed (circa 2018) those who had qualified under the old 3 year could still play. We have to thank Mal Meninga and Semi Randradra for that when they used it to stiff Fiji despite Australia having dozens of elite players to choose from. Randradra qualified by living in Australia for 3 years but didn't qualify to play SOO that is how stupid it was and it has made it harder for countries like France as a result. 

Yep... and where is that player now 😞

On 12/05/2021 at 22:44, The Daddy said:

Anyone know exactly what the residency laws are now for France and how long an international player has to live in France before being eligible for the international team? 

Do France have any players that would qualify under these rules other than Mark Kheiralla? Jonathon Ford too but I presume he will stick with the Cook Islands.

• 1 month later...

Joe Bretherton would qualify now under the old 3 year rule. 

I think Sam Kasiano and Latrell Schaumkel are approaching the two year mark.

That's 3 very good players that France is missing out on because we only look at how the international game is affected from an Australian perspective and the Aussies want to poach players from smaller nations. Small minded thinking.

Archived