Moving forward. French teams in the U.K. leagues structure

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why? You’ve spent most of this thread saying there should be more French clubs in the English leagues? 

In big cities/expansion areas not heartland teams from towns the size of batley that wouldn’t increase the footprint of RL in France.

21 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Why do you think that? 

Many reasons. Carcassonne is a small town in the French heartland in which allowing them into the U.K. league structure wouldn’t increase the RL footprint in France.

Also carcassonne are one of the top and strongest teams in France(elite1). Removing them from the competition would damage elite1 far more than say a Lyon, Montpelier or Marseille etc.

1 minute ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

League One isn’t suitable as an International League, the Championship and Super League are.

It would only be one year if they were good enough though, an ideal way to find their feet. 

6 hours ago, POR said:

What's happening with  Villeneuve  P  as I recall didn't they along with Toulouse and the dragons apply for SL in 05

YES they did and good to see them gradually getting back up near the top (Some nice football played by them this year) I think at the time they felt that as the NO 1 French team that gave them the right to apply realistically the place is too small.

When they were unbeatable I remember they were a lovely team to watch full of great players and fantastic away support to I remember around 200 coming to Pia on a Monday night once around 15 years ago HAPPY DAYS WONDERFUL MEMORIES:) 

Just been told that to attend the championship final on Sunday I have to produce a certificate that I have had 2 jabs (Only one so far the other is booked in 2 weeks time when I am back in Blighty) 

Paul

45 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

YES they did and good to see them gradually getting back up near the top (Some nice football played by them this year) I think at the time they felt that as the NO 1 French team that gave them the right to apply realistically the place is too small.

When they were unbeatable I remember they were a lovely team to watch full of great players and fantastic away support to I remember around 200 coming to Pia on a Monday night once around 15 years ago HAPPY DAYS WONDERFUL MEMORIES:) 

Just been told that to attend the championship final on Sunday I have to produce a certificate that I have had 2 jabs (Only one so far the other is booked in 2 weeks time when I am back in Blighty) 

Paul

PCR test is ok

On 15/06/2021 at 17:07, POR said:

XIII Catalan were a semi professional rugby league team from Perpignan in the Pyrénées-Orientales region of southern France. They were founded in 1934, and thus were founding members of the French rugby league championship.

A Perpignan selection beat the Australian Kangaroos on Christmas day 1951 circa

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

I don´t think it benefits anyone to have full time french teams in RFL Champ. Want to see Elite 1 become an incubation chamber for clubs looking to join SL from France (if any). With RFL Champ getting no money next year they should be more financial parity between Elite 1 and RFL Champ anyway. 

Clubs from France who want in should show they have the infrastructure and setup in place to compete in Elite 1 before moves are made. 

The thing is, there aren’t any clubs who want to step up, except possibly now Carcassonne. 

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

According to that tweet, Carcassonne are aiming to join League 1 within 3 years 

My own tweet actually 😉 Carcassonne' président is saying that they are working to apply for a spot in League one in three years.

My comment in a barely better English that the google translated one being that this is an utterly stupid move and that any french club wishing to leave for England without a solid mid-tem SL plan will only waste everyone time and money (just like Toulouse did a few years back).

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

I don´t think it benefits anyone to have full time french teams in RFL Champ. Want to see Elite 1 become an incubation chamber for clubs looking to join SL from France (if any). With RFL Champ getting no money next year they should be more financial parity between Elite 1 and RFL Champ anyway. 

Clubs from France who want in should show they have the infrastructure and setup in place to compete in Elite 1 before moves are made. 

Do you think clubs from New Zealand should compete in the NRL or a fully domestic New Zealand league? What about the PNG Hunters and the Fijian side the Silktails? Should they stop competing in the Australian Leagues and go back to the PNG/Fijian league?

5 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Paul

Or proof to show you've had covid. Or a negative pcr or antigenique test less than 48 hours old. The antigenique is done at the chemists and free with your carte Vitale 

3 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Or proof to show you've had covid. Or a negative pcr or antigenique test less than 48 hours old. The antigenique is done at the chemists and free with your carte Vitale 

Thanks Barnyia JCT from Palau just e-mailed me this info but remember I am over the border I have asked him if they will take a Spanish one:)

Paul

5 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

You are right, which is why we should lock tou and cat into SL, get regular Eng vs France int up and build up Élite 1 over the next World cup cycle

So if TO finished 12th, Cats 11th and say Hull KR 10th, would you relegate HKR? 

47 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Mentioned before I would go 14 teams  (so Cat and Tou take a third game on the road) reduced money for 2 french teams and minimum french player quota. 

But yes the lowest ranked Eng club would go down. 

Well count me out of that one, if we have P&R it has to be fair, not based on geography. 

10 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

You are right, which is why we should lock tou and cat into SL, get regular Eng vs France int up and build up Élite 1 over the next World cup cycle

Carca into League 1.  They are not guaranteed to get promotion in the 1st or even 2nd year over, say, Donny or Workington next year.  Secondly, the obvious travel costs and thirdly, lastly (and selfishly) local clubs might end up losing key players to Carca.  We could also factor in TO recruiting more from Elite to bolster their own lower teams.

From what I see, Elite 1 has a lot going for it.  St Gaudens, Avignon, VSL and Albi have a lot of improvement in them.  Of those (my opinion) it is down to coaching issues.  There are also the obvious opportunities to develop televised games.  

Carca into SL?  It would be an interesting bet.  5 years would be a hell of an achievement but my brass would be against that.  

Archived